Entry-level 2018 6.1-inch iPhone may be LCD, cost between $700 and $800

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    For a white UI at a comparable brightness level, OLED isn't saving power and FaceID and dual cameras use more power even though battery capacity exceeds Plus models. 
  • Reply 22 of 39
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    I'm all over this, except no 3D touch is strange. Makes me think that Apple will never make 3D more than it is right now -- a very minor feature.
    I think it would be a first time a feature is literaly removed from iPhone. If true, perhaps Apple finally admits something everyone knew already -  3d touch was gimmick. 
    The home button and Touch ID were a gimmick and thus purged as well.
    Home button lasted a lot longer. Plus this weird note doesn’t mention 3D Touch being replaced by anything. Almost as if someone is speculating Apple might drop it as a cost saving feature. Yet the rumored price of this device is more than current devices in the lineup that have 3D Touch. It makes no sense.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    sandorsandor Posts: 659member
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    I'm all over this, except no 3D touch is strange. Makes me think that Apple will never make 3D more than it is right now -- a very minor feature.
    I think it would be a first time a feature is literaly removed from iPhone. If true, perhaps Apple finally admits something everyone knew already -  3d touch was gimmick. 
    It’s no more a gimmick than a contextual right-click of a mouse on a desktop platform. They are both hidden features and thus unused by the overwhelming majority of users. 

right-click was only underutilized by basic Macintosh users due to the brilliant decision to ship single-button mice for how long?

Even the most basic Windows users i have come across in an office environment have no problem using that second mouse button.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    This statement tells me you dont use 3D Touch or know all that it can allow you to do. Personally I use it daily and really like it. Pressure on the messages app icon pops up last 3 people that you initiated a text to, or you can start a new message. Pressure on the Safari app icon let’s you go straight to favorites or bookmarks without opening anything.

Pressure on the music app icon lets me search or see the last 4 albums played which I find convenient because the app doesn’t need to be opened.  Biggest one for me is pressure on the settings app takes me directly to Bluetooth, WiFi and battery settings. This type of functionality was a big reason I used to jailbreak. Instead of pressure touches,  it allowed long presses to open things in control center. I think it was called CCSettings or something like that. 

I don’t get folks who don’t use a function because they don’t know what it does,  or simply choose not to use, and swear they can speak for every single user ?  So no not everyone knows or thinks 3D Touch was/is a gimmick. I have to disagree. 
    fastasleepStrangeDayscornchipmike1
  • Reply 25 of 39
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    berndog said:
    Please tell us the notch is going to go away
    Nope. I like the Notch. It's an efficient way to maximize the use of the screen.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    It’s no more a gimmick than a contextual right-click of a mouse on a desktop platform. They are both hidden features and thus unused by the overwhelming majority of users. 
    Agreed. iPhone users were used to what iOS had in the past. New hidden features such as 3-D Touch are for improving user's experience, not essential to daily tasks. I'm not surprised if it goes away.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    It's not though. Have you used it? Do you even know when/where you can use it or how to use it? Ten bucks says no.

EDIT (to better comply with forum rules):  I highly encourage you to spend the time to learn 3D Touch on your iPhone, it augments the experience in multiple ways that may save you time and bring you joy!
    edited January 2018 StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 28 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,907member
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    Nope. Makes text selection much easier. I’m betting it will remain.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,425member
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    Nope. Makes text selection much easier. I’m betting it will remain.
    Yet another use of 3D Touch I hadn't found yet. It's still a bit new to me on the X after moving from a 6.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    mike1 said:
    berndog said:
    Why?
    It just offends my OCD - I’d prefer an under screen solution. But in the mean time just a 40-50mm portion of the device as an upper edge would work better and evidently only for me and the rest of the 10%.
    Of course CDO would also be better as it would be alphabetically ordered.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    The home button and Touch ID were a gimmick and thus purged as well.
    Home button lasted a lot longer. Plus this weird note doesn’t mention 3D Touch being replaced by anything. Almost as if someone is speculating Apple might drop it as a cost saving feature. Yet the rumored price of this device is more than current devices in the lineup that have 3D Touch. It makes no sense.
    I am just guessing here - Removal of 3D touch might not have anything to do with the cost, BUT the heaviness & thickness it adds to the phone could be considered as a negative compared to the level of functionality that it enables. So that could possibly be the reason for removing it.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    dws-2 said:

Other than that, I think this phone is a good idea. It allows Apple to stretch its range of product prices without any of the new phones looking out of date.
    You don’t need the 3D Touch hardware to get a 3D Touch experience. Android phones have a similar experience as does my iPhone SE in some of the controversy centre functions. It would make sense to replace expensive hardware with software features. 
    mac_128
  • Reply 33 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    crosslad said:
    dws-2 said:

Other than that, I think this phone is a good idea. It allows Apple to stretch its range of product prices without any of the new phones looking out of date.
    You don’t need the 3D Touch hardware to get a 3D Touch experience. Android phones have a similar experience as does my iPhone SE in some of the controversy centre functions. It would make sense to replace expensive hardware with software features. 
    They don't, the fact you say they do mean you have not used it, or are talking out of your ass. You decide.

Multiple level of pressure, almost instant detection of what you want to do, how the hell is a long press doing the same thing. It's a quite different interaction.

Considering 3d touch is a major differentiating tech, it would be idiotic to remove it.
    cornchipfastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This phone sounds very buyable to me...
  • Reply 35 of 39
    mknelson said:
    mavemufc said:
    berndog said:
    Do you have the X? if so, I'm surprised it annoys you cause I literary don't notice it 90% of the time, and every other X user tells me the same.
    Sometimes it's the only way I know which end is up.
    Hahaha same!
  • Reply 36 of 39
    mavemufc said:
    berndog said:
    Do you have the X? if so, I'm surprised it annoys you cause I literary don't notice it 90% of the time, and every other X user tells me the same.
    The notch does not bother me one bit. I really don't notice it at all. I don't understand why people complain about it. 
    Me neither, yet to see one person who has the phone actually complain about it.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,343member
    mavemufc said:
    mknelson said:
    mavemufc said:
    berndog said:
    Hahaha same!
    To me the next step is to make a phone that doesn't have an up at all.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,952member
    jason98 said:
    dws-2 said:
    I feel like it’s a supercool technology that just didn’t spark developers imaginations. I think the issue is that it’s “too much” like long press. But that just seems like an opportunity to me - you can just add more stuff! Long press for one thing, hard press for another. Admittedly the only 3D/force touch device I have is my used 1st gen  Watch. I like the feature personally, but have not experienced it on the phone yet.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,425member
    mavemufc said:
    mknelson said:
    mavemufc said:
    berndog said:
    Hahaha same!
    Likewise, the camera bump helps me figure out which side to tap on to wake as well. :)
    mavemufc