Akitio Thunder3 10G network adapter adds 10 gigabit ethernet connection to MacBook Pro, iM...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Enclosure manufacturer Akitio has started to ship the Thunder3 10G Network Adapter, an accessory for an iMac or MacBook Pro offering connectivity to an ethernet network at speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second, all passing through a Mac's Thunderbolt 3 port.

The Thunder3 10G Network Adapter is meant to extend the networking capabilities of a Thunderbolt 3-equipped device to allow them to connect to higher-speed networks used in business and enterprise operations. In the case of this adapter, it takes advantage of the high 40-gigabits per second bandwidth available in Thunderbolt 3 to make the network connection.

As the iMac Pro launched with 10 gigabit ethernet, the adapter could be useful for owners of the MacBook Pro or iMac who want to connect at the same network speeds as Apple's newest desktop Mac, but without fully upgrading. For the iMac, this effectively adds a second 10 gigabit-capable adapter alongside the existing gigabit ethernet port, while also providing a way to connect to a physical network to modern MacBook Pro models that have only Thunderbolt 3 ports for connectivity.

Akitio's device will work with standard 10 gigabit per second networks, including support for 9K jumbo frame support, though it is also able to automatically switch to support slower connection types. This includes the 100 megabit and gigabit networks typically found at home, as well as networks supporting transfers at 5 gigabit and 2.5 gigabit per second speeds.

Measuring 4.96 inches by 3.15 inches and 1.5 inches thick, the Thunder3 10G Network Adapter is a compact unit that can be easily transported. Encased in aluminum, said to be used to optimize heat dissipation caused through its fanless design, it is also supplied with a protective rubber sleeve to keep it safe from knocks while being carried around.

The use of bus power is useful in terms of portability, as by drawing power from the connected Mac, it doesn't require a separate power connection. Its design also makes it relatively simple to set up, with the ethernet port on one end of the casing while the Thunderbolt 3 port, LED power and link status indicator, and Kensington security slot reside on the other.

The Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter is available to purchase for $279.99 from Amazon. It is compatible with all Thunderbolt 3-equipped Macs running macOS 10.12.5 or later, and requires a driver to be installed before use.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    The beauty of Thunderbolt 3...see this is what makes the MacBook Pro more versatile than previous models. I know people bitched for months about the USB C thing on the MacBook Pro, but this is the type of stuff that makes it all worth it in the end. You can do so much more and keep your Mac longer with stuff like this versus individual static ports that can never change.
    Soliroundaboutnow
  • Reply 2 of 13
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    macxpress said:
    The beauty of Thunderbolt 3...see this is what makes the MacBook Pro more versatile than previous models. I know people bitched for months about the USB C thing on the MacBook Pro, but this is the type of stuff that makes it all worth it in the end. You can do so much more and keep your Mac longer with stuff like this versus individual static ports that can never change.
    It all depends on how individual manage their craps together.  Type-C is definitely much more versatile.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm glad to see there's an option, but I'm a little surprised its size.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Soli said:
    I'm glad to see there's an option, but I'm a little surprised its size.
    Pretty much an entire PCIe card in-a-box.
    Soli
  • Reply 5 of 13
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    If this delivers the advertised performance, it is quite a steal. ATTO's TB2 to 10 GbE adapters sold for around $1k.
    Solipolymnia
  • Reply 6 of 13
    dreyfus2 said:
    If this delivers the advertised performance, it is quite a steal. ATTO's TB2 to 10 GbE adapters sold for around $1k.
    Wow, no wonder why we won’t saw 10GbE controllers in mainstream PCs.
    edited February 2018 xzu
  • Reply 7 of 13
    If you are only networking two Macs together, you can use a single thunderbolt 3 cable for insanely fast speeds.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    dreyfus2 said:
    Next step is to reduce it to the size of today’s 1gbe/thunderbolt adapters.

the time it’s taking to get 10gbe into the mainstream demonstrates how wired connection doesn’t really move the needle anymore. People like wireless. Shit, I like wireless, too. But a LAN connection as fast as local storage? I could find uses for that. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    polymnia said:
    dreyfus2 said:
    Next step is to reduce it to the size of today’s 1gbe/thunderbolt adapters.

the time it’s taking to get 10gbe into the mainstream demonstrates how wired connection doesn’t really move the needle anymore. People like wireless. Shit, I like wireless, too. But a LAN connection as fast as local storage? I could find uses for that. 
    You ever feel how hot the TB3 cables get?  I would think the 10gb Ethernet one’s get up there in heat as well.  So I think the jump from 1gb to 10gb requires a bit more, plus everyone’s routers/switches would have to be upgraded as well. 

And unless you’re in certain parts of Asia with a fiber infrastructure, 10gb/s speeds is only good for LAN connections and I’m not going to hold my breath for ISP’s to offer anything close to this speed in my lifetime.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I suppose most of the target market will have several USB-C ports, but this thing is only does one thing, and I haven't seen any USB-C hubs yet. If USB-C is supposed to be the future, where are the hubs?
    macxpress said:
    On the other hand, weren't people arguing those were 'legacy' ports?
    Yet, they must figure they'll sell enough of them at $279 to make a profit.
    But, Apple doesn't think there are enough pro users to build at least one model with pro ports?
    polymnia said:
    Shit, I like wireless, too. But a LAN connection as fast as local storage? I could find uses for that. 
    It isn't just speed, but reliability and security. When I used to work in a server room, there was no WiFi in there. And/or, go look in a server room sometime and tell me how many of the servers are connected via WiFi? Zero you say? There's a reason for that!

And, I'd grab a folding chair, plugin an Ethernet cable from the rack to my laptop, and get to work. Can you imagine the 2018 version where I'd now have that thing hanging off one port, maybe a USB-C HD or SSD hanging off another port, etc. Not exactly a pretty picture. (And, the PC folks used laugh at we Mac folks even w/o that kind of laughable picture!)
  • Reply 11 of 13
    You could just buy a laptop with a real ethernet adapter for not much more than the cost of that external brick you would need to lug around with you. Just saying.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    grangerfx said:
    You could just buy a laptop with a real ethernet adapter for not much more than the cost of that external brick you would need to lug around with you. Just saying.
    Not a 10-gig one.
    SolicgWerks
  • Reply 13 of 13
    grangerfx said:
    I thought we just talked about why there’s no mainstream PCs having a 10GbE controller.