Apple Pay gets more US, Canadian & French card issuers, new app- & Web-based promotions

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Thursday updated its roster of banks and credit unions with Apple Pay, adding more entries for Canada, France, and the U.S.

The Canadian entries include Island Savings and Valley First -- Enderby, both divisions of First West Credit Union. French payment options now include American Express, Carrefour C-Zam, and Boursorama (Cartes Bancaires).

As has become standard, the new U.S. listings are all niche institutions, typically serving a small region or group of people. Most national companies were onboard within the first year of Apple Pay's October 2014 debut.

The full list of U.S. additions includes:
  • Alliant Bank
  • Century Bank of the Ozarks
  • First Federal Savings Bank of Rochester
  • First Westroads Bank
  • Florida West Coast Credit Union
  • Landmark Community Bank
  • Legacy Bank and Trust
  • Lincoln Savings Bank
  • Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union
  • Noble Credit Union
  • Park Sterling Bank
  • Progressive National Bank
  • Sebasticook Valley Federal Credit Union
  • ServisFirst Bank
  • Springfield State Bank
  • State Bank & Trust Co [now Iowa and Georgia]
  • Stewart's Federal Credit Union
  • The Bank of Beaver City
  • United Heritage Credit Union
  • Unity One Credit Union
  • Wayne Bank and Trust Company
  • Wells Bank
Apple is separately sending out email marketing to customers, altering them to discounts from select merchants when they use Apple Pay between today and Apr. 18. This includes 15 percent off Adidas gear, 10 percent off Hayneedle's home decor, and 20 percent off $60 or more in bulk goods from Boxed.

Spring and Turo are each offering $25 discounts, the former off a first purchase of $75 or more. Saks Fifth Avenue, finally, is offering free two-day shipping on all Apple Pay purchases during the promotion window.

Apple has been running a number of such promotions in recent months, hoping to entrench Apple Pay as a platform and make people aware of merchants that offer it. While the company is steering shoppers towards apps, deals are also typically valid through Web-based Apple Pay transactions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Here’s a good one for you all. Last night we stopped by the local Firehouse Subs sandwich shop for a meal. Pulled out the iPhone 8 and paid with Apple Pay. Payment accepted. Then the clerk hands me a receipt copy and says, “Since it’s Apple Pay you have to sign this even though there’s no place for a signature.” I just stared back at her for a couple of incredulous seconds and signed my name. No sense causing a scene but I do plan to contact Firehouse Subs’ headquarters and ask WTF???!!!

We are what, several years into NFC payments now and merchant’s still don’t get it? Then I read MacWorld Macalope’s latest WTF column about some dude who is pissed because he can’t get rid of the little red dot in the Settings app that is harassing him about setting up Apple Pay which he doesn’t use and doesn’t trust and would rather use his insecure credit card. He’s thinking about dropping Apple and buying a Pixel 2 because of this “harassment” by Apple.

The world is one f’d up place these days and human stupidity is on lurid display every day. The movie “Idiocracy" is science fact, not science fiction.
    edited April 2018 radarthekatmacxpressjony0
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lerchclerchc Posts: 12member
    And still no Capital One support in Canada. Not sure why the company treats Americans different than Canadians.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    lkrupp said:
    Then I read MacWorld Macalope’s latest WTF column about some dude who is pissed because he can’t get rid of the little red dot in the Settings app that is harassing him about setting up Apple Pay which he doesn’t use and doesn’t trust and would rather use his insecure credit card. He’s thinking about dropping Apple and buying a Pixel 2 because of this “harassment” by Apple.
    To be fair, Apple is really stupid and annoying about pushing their updates on you.  I never ever update to a new iOS version when it’s released.  I always wait 2 - 3 weeks to see if there are any bugs.  Yet Apple only gives me a Remind Me Later option when dismissing the update.  F that crap lol.  

I personally love Apple Pay and use it wherever I can, but if someone doesn’t for whatever reason they shouldn’t be spammed to add it.  I love Apple, but they do some really stupid shit sometimes 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Really embarrassing! I attempted a few time Apply Pay from Apple Watch unsuccessful, iPhone had no luck too. Eventually I needed to take out the credit card to complete payment. 
    Is there any advance notice of ApplePay downtime?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    ivanh said:
    Really embarrassing! I attempted a few time Apply Pay from Apple Watch unsuccessful, iPhone had no luck too. Eventually I needed to take out the credit card to complete payment. 
    Is there any advance notice of ApplePay downtime?
    It looks like there hasn't been any downtime with ApplePay according to their system status page.