How to create your own HomeKit camera with a Raspberry Pi and HomeBridge

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    r1ckr1ck Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    sorry total noob: how do i get the pi to boot to the gui?
  • Reply 42 of 73
    I had problem with the image too big for my 16 GB SD card too. It was listed as 15.93GB in Etcher. 

I followed the instruction here to use Disk Utility to create an iso image. 
    https://www.heavymetalcoder.com/copy-raspberry-pi-to-new-sd-card/

The image came out exactly 15.93 instead of 16.03, so I was able to use Etcher to flash it. 

chia
  • Reply 43 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    r1ck said:
    sorry total noob: how do i get the pi to boot to the gui?
    It's hard to know exactly where you're starting from, but odds are these instructions are what you're looking for.

• Reply 44 of 73
    horstehorste Posts: 3member
    Hi all!

Quite strange. When I first read this article I immediately went out to buy two  16GB SD-card. But then the first disappointment, when Etcher told me it was too small.
    So I run out again and got a 32GB SD-Card before the shop closed. So luckily I could install it.
    Then the first boot up, set keyboard to German etc. 
    But then the next disappointment, I could not get to show the video from the Raspi-Cam.
    I checked logs I found that node-js produces a segmentation fault.

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/bin $ node --version

Segmentation fault

Anybody an idea how to fix?

Maybe it has something to do with my Raspberry pi 2 Model B V 1.1 ?

edited April 2018
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Hi Andrew, Thanks for the turorial. 

I also had to use a 32GB sd card as some of the others have stated. When trying in Etcher to flash the 16GB card it said I did not have enough space. 15.8 something GB available. I found the reason that some of us were getting smaller space available. 
    You were using the Sandisk Pixtor card which apparently has 16.03GB available. I had a Sandisk Ultra 16GB card and it shows a only having 15.8x GB available thus the error. Different types of SD cards of the same size actually have different available actual space. 

Hope you will be doing other tutorials like this. Maybe on how to add additional devices to the homebridge.
    Thanks

• Reply 46 of 73
    Tried flashing with Win32DiskImager on a 32gb SD and it failed to boot.  Downloaded etcher for windows and worked OK.  First setup failed to connect to wifi.  Country code was not set correctly.  Re-flashed and on first boot ran "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".  This could probably be corrected running "sudo raspi-config". Works as promised on my pi-3.   Would like to rotate the camera angle default to 90°.  Any suggestions?  Must be simple a simple solution since there are no conversations on camera rotate.  Thank you for the tutorial.

• Reply 47 of 73
    raaaraaa Posts: 1member
    Guys , great job , 

any idea how to add raspberry camera to homebridge (resberian) ?
    I have already working homebridge system , just need to add camera .

thanks for help 

• Reply 48 of 73
    It work well. But now, I can't ssh into it anymore ? 
  • Reply 49 of 73
    horstehorste Posts: 3member
    Hi!

I bought a Raspberry Pi 3, inserted the SD Card and everything runs fine.
    So obviously the Raspberry Pi 2 V1.1 doesn't work with the image provided ...

Quite strange. When I first read this article I immediately went out to buy two  16GB SD-card. But then the first disappointment, when Etcher told me it was too small.

So I run out again and got a 32GB SD-Card before the shop closed. So luckily I could install it.
    Then the first boot up, set keyboard to German etc. 
    But then the next disappointment, I could not get to show the video from the Raspi-Cam.
    I checked logs I found that node-js produces a segmentation fault.

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/bin $ node --version

Segmentation fault

Anybody an idea how to fix?

Maybe it has something to do with my Raspberry pi 2 Model B V 1.1 ?
  • Reply 50 of 73
    The problem everyone is having is that Node.js/NPM is compiled differently for different ARM versions.

Raspberry Pi Model B : ARMv6

Raspberry Pi Model B 2 : ARMv7

Raspberry Pi Model B 2 ver 1.2 / Raspberry Pi Model B 3 / Raspberry Pi Model B 3+ : ARMv8

Raspberry Pi Zero / Raspberry Pi Zero W : ARMv6

Depending on which board you are trying to install on, you need a specific version of Node installed. Check out this link to my site that walks you though the steps to install.
    chia
  • Reply 51 of 73
    talgoretalgore Posts: 5member
    I got this working on a 3 B+

Could you expand the guide to include getting the Nest plugin working? Or release a new image with it ready to go? Thanks!
  • Reply 52 of 73
    JhoneJhone Posts: 1member
    Can someone please help with my issue?  I followed all of the directions but, I could not get the homebridge to show up in the homekit.  I found a command by pressing the arrow keys that appears to check the homebridge status but I do not understand the error.  Please see the pic and help me if possible. 

• Reply 53 of 73
    Would it be possible to plug in a USB stick to use as a storage medium, and set it to continuously record (and just overwrite old data as it becomes full?) I imagine a 64GB drive would give me about a day's worth of video at a decent 5Mbps bitrate, maybe two days if I halve the bitrate. Would love to know your thoughts. Thanks for a great guide!
  • Reply 54 of 73
    tealiotealio Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Anyone know how to easily rotate or flip the video? I've got my camera over the front door hanging down like spiderman. I found this, but I've executed and rebooted and it hasn't made a difference : https://github.com/moritzmhmk/homebridge-camera-rpi/issues/4
  • Reply 55 of 73
    squuiidsquuiid Posts: 58member
    Just confirming that this works fine on the latest Raspberry Pi 3 B+ model. Does anyone know a way of adjusting the white balance?
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 56 of 73
    ibroibro Posts: 1member
    Hey folks,

So, I downloaded the dmg and loaded it onto a 32GB Micro SD card using Etcher per the instructions.

However, the problem regarding the use of this image on a Raspberry Pi Zero is because the pre-installed version of nodejs (architecture) is incompatible with the Zero; the pre-installed version of nodejs is meant for armv7 rather than armv6. 

To get around this issue, perform the following:
    • sudo apt-get remove -y nodejs
    • cd ~
    • wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/audstanley/NodeJs-Raspberry-Pi/master/Install-Node.sh, open the file in nano or vi, replace all instances of v10 with v8
    • chmod +x Install-Node.sh
    • sudo ./Installl-Node.sh (it will install nodejs v8.11.2)
    • reboot

Please perform these steps at your own risk; I cannot guarantee that my experience will be identical to yours. 

Please note that the only step that I didn’t outline is that I performed a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y prior to figuring out what the issue was. 

The only thing I haven’t figured out, is how to modify the resolution and bitrate for rpi-camera. 

Lastly, thank you for posting this guide!!

• Reply 57 of 73
    PCPPCP Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I cannot observe neither homebridge nor homekit camera after input the code. Could anyone help me on this matter?
  • Reply 58 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Idea for a future project:  For us apartment dwellers, competition for laundry room space is critical. It’s impossible to know if the washing machines and dryers are being used. The machines are at least 50-60 feet away (if one were to draw a straight line) in an apartment complex and not easy to get to. My thought was to set up some kind of Raspberry Pi device in each of the 2 different locations and have it send via radio signal a yes/no signal on each of the machines if they were being used at the time. Any thoughts? Is this completely unworkable?
  • Reply 59 of 73
    MyPi3+MyPi3+ Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Any way to get Motion Detection after Install the Image, maybe Motion(eye)?

• Reply 60 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Idea for a future project:  For us apartment dwellers, competition for laundry room space is critical. It’s impossible to know if the washing machines and dryers are being used. The machines are at least 50-60 feet away (if one were to draw a straight line) in an apartment complex and not easy to get to. My thought was to set up some kind of Raspberry Pi device in each of the 2 different locations and have it send via radio signal a yes/no signal on each of the machines if they were being used at the time. Any thoughts? Is this completely unworkable?
    It’s been done before. I think there instructions, too.

• https://lifehacker.com/use-a-raspberry-pi-zero-to-notify-you-when-the-laundry-1791835119