Notes of interest from Apple's Q2 2018 conference call

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,891member
    saltyzip said:
    nunzy said:
    Wall Street doesn't understand Apple. They never have.

Tim Cook is the beat CEO ever!

The Mac growth is zero because what is the reason for people to upgrade, no inovation in that segment. The iPhone will hit that ceiling at some point too. The phones are already more powerful than they need to be.
    Incorrect and quite foolish. There is a lot more I’d like them to be able to do that they can’t yet. Like drive a pair of photorealistic wireless virtual reality spectacles. 
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46

lmac said:
    nunzy said:

You know who also set sales records? Sculley. No ideas. Riding on the momentum of earlier innovation. Cook is great a milking the cash cows, but despite being an Apple fanboy since 1987, I've never been less interested in their products.
    What a steaming pile of horse crap. But kudos for using the tired old troll trope, “I’ve been a fan since the ‘80s, so take it from me, boys, they suck now!”
    Rayz2016SpamSandwichnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46

jonagold said:
    Same doom and gloom we’ve seen the last 15 years.  I was on the sideline hoping a for a huge selloff so that I could swoop in and buy more shares. Oh well.

I think one must to have had followed Apple during the SJ years closely to understand the product rollout and philosophy. The iPhone X was not meant to be In the hands of everyone. It was priced high for a reason as every newly-featured device has been so the early adopters can pay for the R&D while economies of scale allow the features to trickle down to later devices. This has happened since the beginning of time with Apple, they’ve always tempered the features.  Of course they could sell the X at a 5% margin on day one, but they have never sold anything for a margin less than 30-40%.  Everyone (analysts) should know this by now.  Apple has never raced to the bottom...ever.  They are more mature than that and it is why they sit on a hoard of cash they don’t know what to do with.  Of course Apple could sell out their customers like FB and GOOG for a quick buck, but they’re more far-sighted and innovative than that. It takes a lot of restraint on behalf of the team to continue what made Apple a different company from the beginning.  I commend them, as does my portfolio. 
    This guy gets it.  >slow clap<
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    saltyzip said:
    nunzy said:

People keep expecting this is the year the iPhone sales will start to decline and it will eventually happen , I'd give it another couple of years before it starts. The iPhone X has given enough freshness to trickle down features to keep the numbers on the up.

The Mac growth is zero because what is the reason for people to upgrade, no inovation in that segment. The iPhone will hit that ceiling at some point too. The phones are already more powerful than they need to be.
    Your self-induced butthurt over the figures, along with your desperate desire to see Apple fail, prevents you from seeing the bigger picture. We’ve been hearing about this decline for six years now. Your prediction is useless you can tell us when it’s going to happen. 

So when is it?
    This year?
    How ‘bout the year after?

That’s the problem: you keep wishing for it, but you can’t tell us when it’s going to happen. 

But Apple knows, and by the time that happens the company will be completely transformed from what is today. Then you can sit in your basement hoping that everyone stops using AppleCars;  or folk stop watching Apple TV shows on their Apple devices that come with their subscription; or they stop using Apple Energy as their supplier; or you can hope that Apple’s Watch 6 is found to be responsible for someone’s death and the company gets sued into oblivion so you can jump up and down and bleat how right you were all those years ago…
    netmageradarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,268member

Apple just pissed off a whole bunch of analysts by not collapsing this quarter.

Watching this over the past couple of years, it's like the analysts are Guy Pierce's character in Memento. Every quarter they repeat they forget what happened before.

propodSpamSandwichwatto_cobrajonagold
  • Reply 26 of 46
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,268member
    Soli said:
    1) So where are all the people that kept saying that the iPhone X was a flop?

Oh, they'll definitely come up with something. Believe me.

They'll probably twist Cook's Super bowl winner comment to say that Apple was expecting to sell more iPhone X models and that is why it's a flop.

edited May 2018 netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Meanwhile, an acquaintance who does not follow Apple closely but knows I follow Apple closely was telling me he heard on TV that Apple was cancelling the iPhone X because it wasn’t selling (too expensive). A quick googling showed that many media outlets had reported some baloney from an “analyst” in an unprofessional, National Enquirer-style manner (Apple “could” cancel the iPhone X that “some sources” report they “think” is not selling well)
    So weird.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    Congratulation to Apple. I have iPhone X and is the best smartphone ever made. Simply to use is revolutionary. And I love my Apple Watch and Air Pods. About the fake news before the financial reports, I have to say something. Many website of news , for example in italy, reported that fake news but after they don’t write the true results and don’t correct the fake news wrote before. So who read that website of news (like tgcom or ansa or repubblica) still think that the Apple product don’t sell and near to be deleted. So there is a damage anyway. And if you look with attention often they write pubblicity article about huawei, Samsung and other kind of brands with android. So they maybe have a sponsor. But about fake news I say that this is not correct. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I’m puzzled by this:

”iPhone X was Apple's top-selling iPhone every week over the March quarter, first quarter in which top-of-the-line model is also most popular.”

Apart from the plus-size models (so to speak) in the years that they have existed, haven’t the top-of-the-line models always been the most popular? For example, when the 5s came out, wasn’t it more popular than the 5, which was still available for purchase? Or are they saying that the iPhone X 256 is selling better than the 64?
    256 model X.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,865administrator
    I’m puzzled by this:

”iPhone X was Apple's top-selling iPhone every week over the March quarter, first quarter in which top-of-the-line model is also most popular.”

Apart from the plus-size models (so to speak) in the years that they have existed, haven’t the top-of-the-line models always been the most popular? For example, when the 5s came out, wasn’t it more popular than the 5, which was still available for purchase? Or are they saying that the iPhone X 256 is selling better than the 64?
    Plus versus non-Plus.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Soli said:

They'll probably twist Cook's Super bowl winner comment to say that Apple was expecting to sell more iPhone X models and that is why it's a flop.

Actually that statement was interesting, and possibly does indicate they sold less than expected while still selling boatloads.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,723member
    Soli said:

There is good and not so good news.

The good:

The top selling phone was the absolute top of the line phone

Growth in urban China

'Other'

The not so good:

iPhone sales remain largely flat.

iPhone X sales were down (if my headline interpretation is correct) but I doubt many expected them to beat Q1.

Chinese competition (plus Samsung) will be much stronger this quarter.

If people 'complained' that the last quarter (Q1) was one week shorter than the year before, that missing week (in theory a high demand week) logically passed into Q2.

ASP was down but that is overrated from a consumer perspective IMO.

I think any YoY growth is ultimately excellent news even if by just a little. The underlying issue is though, and has been for the last couple of years, the flat growth on iPhone, as iPhone still dominates revenues.

The longer the period without unit growth, the more burning the question, where are the users?

The longer the period, the more potential of an existing user upgrading. If everybody with an iPhone upgraded after two years or slightly longer you would expect more than flat growth (adding in Android switchers) for this year. That doesn't seem to be playing out. There is a possibility that the 'super-cycle' is actually playing out but just isn't sending numbers much higher.

Tim Cook explicitly mentioned that 60% of Mac sales went to non Mac users. He mentioned something very similar in the Q1 17 earnings call (the year iMacs were not updated).

That poses the same question. Where are the pre-existing Mac users?

Apple is seemingly targeting Android switchers but AFAIK, no mention was made of how many iPhones went to first time/Android users.

These questions should begin to see some answers at the end of this year and beginning of next. Apple already has this information in explicit detail of course.

All-in-all Apple can be chuffed with these results for a few reasons but the issue of increasing unit sales remains and as long as they depend on iPhone, that will be an issue to work on.

No one expects Q3 to be stellar so the pressure is off (to a degree) as long as they meet their guidance. A full six months into the iPhone refresh, it would be logical to see interest in the top of the line phones drop off fairly sharply but iPhone X will be judged on a full year of performance, not one or two quarters.

I only followed a live text feed of the call and not the audio or transcript, so this is based on those snippets only.

• Reply 33 of 46
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Everyone seems to be leaving out the first part of the quote:
    Since we split the line with the launch of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in 2014, this is the first cycle in which the top of the line iPhone model has also been the most popular.

They also seem to already be pulling in plenty of switchers to Mac:

We were happy to see double digit growth in our active installed base of Macs to a new all-time high, with almost 60% of March quarter purchases coming from customers who are new to Mac.

Somehiw I don't think they sold less than expected of the iPhone X:

We were surprised somewhat that through all of this period of time that the iPhone X winds up at the most selling, most popular for every week of the time since the launch.

I think Tim was saying Apple views the iPhone X as a SuperBowl winner but some "people" think it should have won the game by more points. 

edited May 2018 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    netmage said:
    Everyone seems to be leaving out the first part of the quote:
    Since we split the line with the launch of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in 2014, this is the first cycle in which the top of the line iPhone model has also been the most popular.
    That does affect the statement.

They also seem to already be pulling in plenty of switchers to Mac:

We were happy to see double digit growth in our active installed base of Macs to a new all-time high, with almost 60% of March quarter purchases coming from customers who are new to Mac.
    I guess I misread that yesterday (or the wording in the article changed). I thought it was 60% repeat Mac buyers. I'm glad to see that switchers are increasing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,848moderator
    Years ago I said that iOSis becoming a standard.  This is what happens when a company’s products and platforms bring a standard; everything starts to grow at a time when everyone things it should be leveling off...

The supercycle is revenue and installed base.  Apple is reaching escape velocity. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Meanwhile, an acquaintance who does not follow Apple closely but knows I follow Apple closely was telling me he heard on TV that Apple was cancelling the iPhone X because it wasn’t selling (too expensive). A quick googling showed that many media outlets had reported some baloney from an “analyst” in an unprofessional, National Enquirer-style manner (Apple “could” cancel the iPhone X that “some sources” report they “think” is not selling well)
    So weird.
    I was “informed” of this identical bit of anti-Apple propaganda by a business acquaintance. They were sure the X was going to be discontinued.
    edited May 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    So weird.
    I was “informed” of this identical bit of anti-Apple propaganda by a business acquaintance. They were sure the X was going to be discontinued.

and you wonder why this country is a mess, people's lack any critical thinking, and our media outlets know this and take advantage of this fact. I would advise you both find better people to hang out with they will eventually drag you down to their level. 
    brisancewatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    maestro64 said:
    So weird.

and you wonder why this country is a mess, people's lack any critical thinking, and our media outlets know this and take advantage of this fact. I would advise you both find better people to hang out with they will eventually drag you down to their level. 
    Most people are too busy to do the research to debunk these fraudulent Apple stories. It’s quite understandable how these attention getting false stories spread so quickly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 46
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,355member
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:

There is good and not so good news.

The good:

The top selling phone was the absolute top of the line phone

Growth in urban China

'Other'

The not so good:

iPhone sales remain largely flat.

iPhone X sales were down (if my headline interpretation is correct) but I doubt many expected them to beat Q1.

Chinese competition (plus Samsung) will be much stronger this quarter.

If people 'complained' that the last quarter (Q1) was one week shorter than the year before, that missing week (in theory a high demand week) logically passed into Q2.

ASP was down but that is overrated from a consumer perspective IMO.

I think any YoY growth is ultimately excellent news even if by just a little. The underlying issue is though, and has been for the last couple of years, the flat growth on iPhone, as iPhone still dominates revenues.

The longer the period without unit growth, the more burning the question, where are the users?

The longer the period, the more potential of an existing user upgrading. If everybody with an iPhone upgraded after two years or slightly longer you would expect more than flat growth (adding in Android switchers) for this year. That doesn't seem to be playing out. There is a possibility that the 'super-cycle' is actually playing out but just isn't sending numbers much higher.

Tim Cook explicitly mentioned that 60% of Mac sales went to non Mac users. He mentioned something very similar in the Q1 17 earnings call (the year iMacs were not updated).

That poses the same question. Where are the pre-existing Mac users?

Apple is seemingly targeting Android switchers but AFAIK, no mention was made of how many iPhones went to first time/Android users.

These questions should begin to see some answers at the end of this year and beginning of next. Apple already has this information in explicit detail of course.

All-in-all Apple can be chuffed with these results for a few reasons but the issue of increasing unit sales remains and as long as they depend on iPhone, that will be an issue to work on.

No one expects Q3 to be stellar so the pressure is off (to a degree) as long as they meet their guidance. A full six months into the iPhone refresh, it would be logical to see interest in the top of the line phones drop off fairly sharply but iPhone X will be judged on a full year of performance, not one or two quarters.

I only followed a live text feed of the call and not the audio or transcript, so this is based on those snippets only.

https://i1.wp.com/www.ped30.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Screen-Shot-2018-05-02-at-1.41.12-PM.png?ssl=1

So Neil Cybart had the best overall accuracy, and Horace Dediu of asymco came in second, based on their estimates for the past quarter. Both base estimates on guidance from Apple.

Here's Horace's estimate for Q3;

That would be an estimate of 15% revenue growth YoY, and likely to be pretty close to what Apple will announce in about three months.

Essentially, Apple is seeing longer times between upgrades and acquisition of Android OS users to iPhone, hence the near flat units sales. That said, the user base for iPhone just keeps on increasing, driving all of that service growth.

"ASP was down but that is overrated from a consumer perspective IMO". Considering that we are speaking of the Corporate product lines with Apple having the highest ASP by at least a factor of three or more on any competitor, I think that it is, in fact, a relevant metric.

Your favored Chinese companies, on the other hand, are great at unit sales, lousy at ASP, and one, Xaiomi, is actually throwing in the towel with a new business model that embraces low profits of 5%, as if they have actually even seen that in the recent past, or present. I look for these companies, and Samsung, to fight for marketshare via price reductions, all with continued lowering of ASP, no matter the premium phones they bring to the fight.

edited May 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 46
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    avon b7 said:

The week that was lost in Q1 2018 (as compared to Q1 2017) came mostly in September. The days which were in Q1 2017 but which weren't in Q1 2018 were September 25th through 30th and December 31st. So this year's Q2 gained (relative to last year's) December 31st and lost April 1st.
    watto_cobra