New Samsung ad takes shot at Apple over iPhone X notch, battery throttling controversy

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    The first OrderThe first Order Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I don't like this way. In the end it is a sign of confidence in this products. I’ll never buy Samsung.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 69
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I don't like this way. In the end it is a sign of confidence in this products. I’ll never buy Samsung.
    Actually, better to give Samsung credit where it is due:  They make good gadgets.

It's just Apple make products rather than gadgets -- products that make people's lives a little better.

I had a Samsung smart phone nearly 10 years before Apple produced its first smart phone:   It had 2 processors, one to run the phone and one to run the imbedded Palm Pilot software and everything was displayed on a 2" black and white screen.   It could even browse the web!  It fit into my pocket (although it would have gotten a knowing smile from May West).  And, it was built solid and rugged -- it never broke, not once...  For 1997, it was a truly great gadget!   But not on par with Apple's first smart phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 69
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,739member
    I don't see anything to riled riled about with this. By all accounts it was rather tame.

I agree the Mac Vs PC ads had a different slant and a lot of charm which is clearly lacking here but this looks like a rather limited poke at Apple and it is something to let go and move on.

Of course, they might up the ante and do another focused on keyboard issues and even make it a series but that probably wouldn't be wise as they'd open themselves for a counter ad.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    georgie01 said:
    Soli said:
    peterhart said:
    It’s just classless to make blows like that. It’s sad that the only thing Samsung thinks of to try to sell their own products is to bash Apple. Controversies so prevalent that the every day user knows who they are talking about, I would think, make Samsung look worse...not better.
    It is classless, but Apple isn't completely immune. They had their infamous Lemmings commercial. This was especially bad because it wasn't attacking a competitor or a competitor's product, but the customer. At least in the Samsung ad it's framed as the iPhone being the problem, not the user.

In Apple's brilliant Get A Mac campaign, most of their ads never referenced MS, Windows, or any PC vendor directly. They just referred to it as "PC" and the "PC" was dumb, slow, had bloatware, etc. I don't think it was until Windows Vista was a market failure that they started going after that in some ads.

But look where MS was in the market when these came out. It doesn't look dissimilar to Apple's dominating position with the smartphone market. At least Apple made their Get A Mac ads fun.
    Except those Mac vs PC ads are funny. They poke fun at the competition while the Samsung ad is aiming to more clearly demean the competition. That is a bit different. Not to mention that it’s based on a fake problem while the Mac vs PC ads are based on real problems.

But I don’t really care. I’ve never thought well of Samsung as a company and I don’t expect better from them, so this is just another thing to ad to the long list.
    Not always true, there are still bias about Windows from that time period, like the NT kernel are not as unreliable as what they’re trying to show.

But he’s right about “being funny”.  Sure, they’re attacking competitors and not customers, but they’re still people.  Smoothing out the edges not only makes  your attacks sounds less aggressive, but also shows that you’re a good communicator too, at least you won’t make everyone around you looks way too bad...Okay, at least in the last decade when they rolled out the “Mac vs. PC”.  I don’t see they’re attacking anyone today.

In the cause of Samsung, though, that’s not the case.  They only pouring out all of the biases toward their competitors in the lowest way they could, that their competitors were all ignorant people doing ridiculous things.

Come to think about it, the most obvious reason to do these attacks is because their competitors did it first.  But only shows that as a corporation, they showed that they never really have any respect toward others.  Sure, they’re competing, and there’s nothing wrong to make yourself looks better, but I don’t think trashing other as garbage would do.
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 65 of 69
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,365member
    avon b7 said:
    I don't see anything to riled riled about with this. By all accounts it was rather tame.

I agree the Mac Vs PC ads had a different slant and a lot of charm which is clearly lacking here but this looks like a rather limited poke at Apple and it is something to let go and move on.

Of course, they might up the ante and do another focused on keyboard issues and even make it a series but that probably wouldn't be wise as they'd open themselves for a counter ad.
    The ad was a cheap shot, tame, but still a cheap shot. But true, still nothing to get worked up about.

Since they're using the 6/6S, Apple could go back to Sammies' Explode-O-Phone for some ads— shady characters burying Note 7s in the dirt ahead of an approaching military convoy, or have a shady type walking into a market place or restaurant with an SV made up of Note 7s in bandoliers with a hand switch.

Although that might be both a bit over the top and under the belt.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    macgui said:
    avon b7 said:

The ad was a cheap shot, tame, but still a cheap shot. But true, still nothing to get worked up about.

Since they're using the 6/6S, Apple could go back to Sammies' Explode-O-Phone for some ads— shady characters burying Note 7s in the dirt ahead of an approaching military convoy, or have a shady type walking into a market place or restaurant with an SV made up of Note 7s in bandoliers with a hand switch.

Although that might be both a bit over the top and under the belt.
    I smell lawsuits...
  • Reply 67 of 69
    Reminds me those “Mercedes vs. Jaguar” ads. Clearly Mercedes is a better ad maker...
    edited May 2018
  • Reply 68 of 69
    CubxCubx Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I could see Samsung going after Apple if their phones were Android based. iOS vs Android, is simply a matter or choice. But comparing the 2 is just silly.