macOS Mojave brings Dark Mode, enhanced privacy, HomeKit, and more to the Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Yay! I’m really happy with the macOS updates, Dark Mode especially. I wonder how far off OLED screens are on MacBooks? This will theoretically extend battery life when that happens.

Favicons in Safari. :D
    edited June 2018 lamboaudi4lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 47
    hrydehryde Posts: 7member
    I remember when computer screens used to be dark with light letters. Then the Mac came along with white screens and black letters. I remember Apple telling us how much better this was. I always preferred the black backgrounds and light letters. Interesting to see that it only took Apple 30 years to come around.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,037member
    hryde said:
    I remember when computer screens used to be dark with light letters. Then the Mac came along with white screens and black letters. I remember Apple telling us how much better this was. I always preferred the black backgrounds and light letters. Interesting to see that it only took Apple 30 years to come around.
    And after all these years you're still looking at it wrong. It's not an either-or binary decision of which is better. There are use cases for either. In my home office an all-black screen will expose far too much reflection from the light-colored surfaces behind me. Until evening, at which point dark is fine and perhaps even easier on my eyes. And hey would you look at that -- a sunlight-based approach is exactly what Apple built. It's almost like they know what they're doing...
    edited June 2018 Eric_WVGGfastasleepwatto_cobraDeadguy2322
  • Reply 24 of 47
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    IOS apps on OSX. I have to say I love it. It certainly reduces the chance that I will be buying an iPad pro by about 99%. :smile: 

• Reply 25 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Down here in Costa Rica, with the weather nice almost all the time, people frequently enjoy working outdoors.  I built a nice little outdoor office, with my MacBook Pro, 4K monitor and Philips Hue lights, to savor my awesome ocean view.  

But there is just one problem: Evil biting insects are attracted to the light created by all this stuff.  So around the end of daylight, it becomes downright miserable to work here in paradise.

I just wanted to thank Craig and friends for introducing Dark Mode, which should be ideal to make the insectos, as they call them down here, become less virulent.  I can't wait to try it and see the results!  My entire body will thank them :).

(I just thought it was kinda funny to announce a genuine need for a feature that might strike most of us as frivolous eye candy .... LOL.)
    I hate to break it to you but I am sitting here with a 4K monitor on my new Mac Pro now running Mojave in dark mode and there is still plenty of light to attract those bugs.  Living on the Gulf Coast here in Florida I can tell you the only solution is a screened lanai.  :)

Safari is still throwing off enough light to read by.  That said I love Dark Mode!  Especially Photos, at last a dark background like Aperture.

edited June 2018 StrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 47
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,154member
    Curious for specifics on improved hard drive performance. 

Do they just mean APFS or did they invest in other techniques for making the most of rust drives? I said years ago macOS didn't feel at home on them even more than other operating systems with the Lion move and SSD focus, I thought they may have dropped some methods that make HDDs faster but hurt SSDs, like hot file clustering. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 47
    paxman said:
    IOS apps on OSX. I have to say I love it. It certainly reduces the chance that I will be buying an iPad pro by about 99%. :smile: 

They’re macOS apps on macOS. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraDeadguy2322
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    tipoo said:
    Curious for specifics on improved hard drive performance. 

Do they just mean APFS or did they invest in other techniques for making the most of rust drives? I said years ago macOS didn't feel at home on them even more than other operating systems with the Lion move and SSD focus, I thought they may have dropped some methods that make HDDs faster but hurt SSDs, like hot file clustering. 
    When we find out, we'll let you know.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 47
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,037member
    paxman said:

You’re misunderstanding this. These are native Mac apps that developers can more easily target from their iOS work. It’s not an iOS app running on Mac. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobraDeadguy2322
  • Reply 30 of 47
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,108member
    Is Mojave 64 bit, or will 32 bit apps work well with it? 

And the update to High Sierra broke almost everything, some things still don’t work almost a year later.  It makes me reticent to upgrade. Previous updates before 10.14 High Sierra weren’t so bad.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    tyler82 said:
    Is Mojave 64 bit, or will 32 bit apps work well with it? 

And the update to High Sierra broke almost everything, some things still don’t work almost a year later.  It makes me reticent to upgrade. Previous updates before 10.14 High Sierra weren’t so bad.
    So far 32 bit apps are working for me.  I get a warning they are not optimized as with last few High Sierra betas.

I keep a VM in VMWare Fusion of Sierra for safety, e.g. my ScanSnap from Fujitsu has been abandoned by the makers as far as drivers in anything later than Sierra.  VMWare is working fine in Mojave.
    edited June 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 47
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    I got crapped by everyone fantasizing about iOS and macOS merging. Stop fantasizing folks. Not going to happen and I'm personally thrilled at what a stupid idea it would have been.
    "Are you merging iOS and macOS?"

Craig: "No. Of course not!"

....maybe now this silly rumor will die down.
    Not going to go away.   It’s just that it will take 6 - 12 years for it to happen evolutionarily without compromising either experience.   This year they use Marzipan to bring iOS apps to MacOS.  Next year they open it up to third party developer apps.   Every few years they extend the technology so that MacOS blends with iOS.   After a ton of apps have mouse support on the mac it will be easy to add mouse support to iOS on the iPad or release an iOS based laptop.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    I’m guessing that the Classroom App on macOS will also be based on Marzipan.
    edited June 2018
  • Reply 34 of 47
    I don’t remember anything said about TouchBar.  Is it dead?
  • Reply 35 of 47
    k2kw said:
    I don’t remember anything said about TouchBar.  Is it dead?
    Why would they talk about a 2 year old hardware feature at a developer conference?
    bestkeptsecretwatto_cobraDeadguy2322
  • Reply 36 of 47
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,108member
    Dark mode is awesome, I love using Pixelmator's interface because of it. Look forward to setting it up permanently. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 47
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    paxman said:

You're misinterpreting what's happening.

You will NOT be able to just install an iOS app on your Mac.

Tools will be made available to developers of iOS apps that will make it easier for them to also create a macOS version. 

The only way you will be able to run a particular iOS app on your Mac is if the developer decides to create a macOS version of it. Apple is just making it easier for developers to do that.
    fastasleepapres587watto_cobraDeadguy2322
  • Reply 38 of 47
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm really liking this WWDC so far, watching the State of the Union right now. I was disapointed that there wasn't a new MBP, but happy that macOS Mojave has lots of new features, and that Apple continues to push the boundaries on privacy and security. Looks like Apple has accepted that computers (as against just tablets and phones) are a part of the future.
    fastasleeplostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 47
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Not sure how I feel about Dark Mode...but Mohave looks great! :) Looking fwd to putting it on my 2017 MacBook. Made want to by a 27" iMac. But I maintain a website, do a little PDF fillable forms work and email. I think I'll be moving entirely to iOS soon. $600 for the iPad vs. $1,800 for the iMac.

My next investment will be in the fall with a new iPad Pro. :)

Best
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    k2kw said:
    I got crapped by everyone fantasizing about iOS and macOS merging. Stop fantasizing folks. Not going to happen and I'm personally thrilled at what a stupid idea it would have been.
    "Are you merging iOS and macOS?"

Craig: "No. Of course not!"

....maybe now this silly rumor will die down.
    Not going to go away.   It’s just that it will take 6 - 12 years for it to happen evolutionarily without compromising either experience.   This year they use Marzipan to bring iOS apps to MacOS.  Next year they open it up to third party developer apps.   Every few years they extend the technology so that MacOS blends with iOS.   After a ton of apps have mouse support on the mac it will be easy to add mouse support to iOS on the iPad or release an iOS based laptop.
    Just going to file this away alongside "TouchID is coming back".
    watto_cobra