Razer launches Mac compatible Core X eGPU for $299

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    crowley said:
    That's very affordable for Razer, and compares well to the competition, especially with that beefy PSU.  Now if only the graphics card prices would sort themselves out.
    Once again Apple’s at the whim of the interoperable market its dig itself into not only CPUs but GPUs too. Time to innovate it’s way out.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,865administrator
    KITA said:
    macxpress said:

YP101 said:
    Now Apple can update Mac mini with TB3 and we can use external GPU.
    Problem with that is the CPU will be the bottleneck now. You're not going to get a top of the line CPU in any kind of new Mac mini. 
    CPU aside, Thunderbolt 3 is already a bottleneck on a higher end cards. The GTX 1080, for example, loses at least 20% of its performance over Thunderbolt 3 when outputting to an external display. When being used on the internal display, it will lose 30% of its performance.
    It loses way more than that when looped back to the internal. 30 percent in addition to the 20.
    edited May 2018 dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    No Razer Chroma LED lighting? Forget it.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    skhanskhan Posts: 2member
    Appleinsder Team,

At the end of the article you mentioned that a full review will be available shortly. Is it possible to request an Nvidia card also be tested on Boot Camp? I understand that Nvidia recently released beta drivers. I am curious as to how it will function, what it took to make it work.

I was lucky enough to be provided with a 2017 MBP top the range (as high as every spec goes), for free by Apple because of endless issues with my previous MBP. Game-Debate.com indicates that the CPU in this model does not bottle neck in AAA game titles. In my case an eGPU makes sense. 

With the release in Australia happening next week for Razer Core X I am hoping that your professional opinions will help me decide on whether I buy an eGPU + GTX 1080 or build a custom gaming rig.

Thanks in advance