Samsung goes after Apple and iPhone X again with two more 'Ingenious' ads

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2018
Samsung continues its faux Apple store anti-Apple series, this time mocking the iPhone X for its lack of a pen and for its amount of power.

Samsung's newest Ingenious ad

Samsung on Friday released a pair of new 30-second videos as part of its "Ingenious" series. The ads are set within a faux Apple store and as always, feature shots at the iPhone X, in comparison with Samsung's own Galaxy phones.

In the first spot, titled Pen," a woman approaches "Pat," the fictional Apple store employee, and asks the difference between the Apple Pencil and the pen that comes with the Galaxy Note 9. Pat's answer? "The Apple Pencil only works on the iPad." When she asks what she can use on her phone, Pat answers, after a beat, "your finger?"

In the second spot, "Power," a male customer tells Pat that "the Galaxy Note 9 is really powerful." Pat answers, "you know what I think is really powerful? Being able to unlock your phone with your face!" The customer then tells him that the Galaxy phone does that as well. Then Pat points out that "on OS 12, you can FaceTime up to 32 people at the same time." The commercial cuts him off after the customer answers, "why would I ever want to do that though?"

The ads bring the total of "Ingenious" commercials to nine, at least according to Samsung's YouTube channel. It's unclear if the new spots will run on television.

The actual effectiveness of the new spots is up for debate. Apple may have released the Apple Pencil, despite Steve Jobs' own long-held aversions to styluses, but it doesn't appear that there's any great groundswell of customers clamoring for the ability use the Apple Pencil with the iPhone.

As for the second ad, it doesn't do much to make the case for the Galaxy Note's power, which is demonstrably less than that of the iPhone X and iPhone 8. All it is likely to do is remind customers that Apple is adding the ability to FaceTime large amounts of people when iOS 12 arrives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Samsung and Apple's pencils aren't styluses, they're digitizers.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 2 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I wish Apple would start doing some ads to bash Samsung, similar to the "I'm a Mac, You're a PC" campaign from ages ago.  It's time to smack Samsung with some humble pie.
    SnickersMagooMuntzanantksundaramberndogpscooter63magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Reminds me of this from Dave....

If the clip doesn't jump ahead for you, just go to 2:10 and start watching.

claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 66
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    "The ads bring the total of "Ingenious" commercials to nine, at least according to Samsung's YouTube channel. It's unclear if the new spots will run on television." While I enjoyed the notch haircuts for the mere creativity, this assault is getting tiresome. Anyone who sees these ads in the wild-- on TV, Facebook, etc.-- please share. Also any quantitative comparison between views of these ads and apple ads would be nice in any future stories. (Hint to AI.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 66
    sflocal said:
    I wish Apple would start doing some ads to bash Samsung, similar to the "I'm a Mac, You're a PC" campaign from ages ago.  It's time to smack Samsung with some humble pie.
    Why?  They are crushing, virtually stomping on them, in sales.  The main thing these ads accomplish is that they concede that the iPhone is the thing that Samsung wants to be #1.  In contrast to Apple's award winning ads, these don't leave you with impression that the Samsung is a great phone.
    king editor the gratefred steinracerhomie3MuntzStrangeDaysradarthekatclaire1magman1979watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 66
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Ironic that, on one hand they question why someone would want to FaceTime with up to 32 people, but on the other, don't question why someone would want to go through the pain of trying to write/draw anything significant on a phone-sized device.
    edited August 2018 fred steinRayz2016MuntzStrangeDaysgrifmxradarthekatclaire1magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 66
    auxio said:
    Ironic that, on one hand they question why someone would want to FaceTime with up to 32 people, but on the other, don't question why someone would want to go through the pain of trying to write/draw anything significant on a phone-sized device.
    ...annnnnnd this is exactly what I came here to say. You beat me to it :) I have a side gig in a retail-type environment where we have a pen we can use for out iPad-based POS system. I can count on one hand the number of times I've tried it, and I can count on zero fingers the number of times it's been useful and/or not-painful.
    Muntzradarthekatmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 66
    I wasted invested a chunk of a plane ride in learning to rewrite the alphabet on a Palm Tungsten, and decided I didn't need to communicate with it that badly.

That was enough styli for one lifetime.
    edited August 2018 Muntzradarthekatjbdragonmagman1979macsince1988watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 66
    You know what I think is powerful? Making Android customers feel good about Samsung. But will anyone switch from iOS to use a stylus on their phone?
    radarthekatGeorgeBMacwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 10 of 66
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    auxio said:
    ...annnnnnd this is exactly what I came here to say. You beat me to it :) I have a side gig in a retail-type environment where we have a pen we can use for out iPad-based POS system. I can count on one hand the number of times I've tried it, and I can count on zero fingers the number of times it's been useful and/or not-painful.
    I have an Apple Pencil and an iPad Pro, and it's definitely useful for sketches, drawing, and adding signatures/markup to documents. I just can't imagine doing those things on a phone-sized screen. You'd constantly need to be zooming in and panning around to do it, which is just painful.
    Muntzgrifmxradarthekatpscooter63claire1magman1979watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 66
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    I wasted invested a chunk of a plane ride in learning to rewrite the alphabet on a Palm Tungsten, and decided I didn't need to communicate with it that badly.

That was enough styli for one lifetime.
    God gave us ten of the best styluses in the universe: our fingers.

Personally, I'm glad that we can't use a stylus on iPhone.

edited August 2018 racerhomie3radarthekatclaire1magman1979
  • Reply 12 of 66
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sflocal said:
    Why would you want Apple punching down? Anyway it seems like these ads only exist because Samsung ones they’ll be shared on Apple rumor sites and tech sites looking for page views like The Verge.
    racerhomie3MuntzStrangeDaysradarthekatclaire1matrix077dewmemagman1979philboogie
  • Reply 13 of 66
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    FaceID is more secure and the iPhone X processor is faster. I don't understand that second ad.
    Muntzradarthekatclaire1magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Samsung and Apple's pencils aren't styluses, they're digitizers.
    I always considered the substrate the digitizer, not the physical pointing device.
    radarthekatpscooter63magman1979watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 15 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    These are good ads. There's nothing for Apple sycophants to get upset over.
    deminsdmuthuk_vanalingammagman1979philboogie
  • Reply 16 of 66
    deminsddeminsd Posts: 143member
    auxio said:
    Because 6.3" (and Apple's forth-coming 6.5") devices aren't the teenie-tiny "phone-sized" devices of a few years ago.  

I guess your same question could be asked of practically anything people do now-a-days on their phones -- "why someone would want to go through the pain of trying to DO  anything significant on a phone-sized device?"  Answer, because they CAN.  ;)
    edited August 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 66
    mtefremtefre Posts: 12member
    A smartphone has hundreds of features and just highlighting a very few is something any vendor can do. An experienced salesman could probably showcase a two year old Windows-phone and say "Hey, look what this can do that your iPhone can't." So by comparing very specific Samsung features to an iPhone's leaves people to wonder why. Maybe it's because Samsung Galaxy is actually inferior overall? So these ads may simply backfire.
    radarthekatclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 66
    Soli said:

They're shit ads and one doesn't have to be a sycophant to realize that.
    MuntzStrangeDayslkruppp-dogking editor the grateradarthekatpscooter63slprescottclaire1magman1979
  • Reply 19 of 66
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    In sales related roles for 25+ years. 

First rule of sales. Never knock your competitor(s)

Muntzberndogradarthekatmagman1979watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 20 of 66
    MuntzMuntz Posts: 26member
    Soli said:
    Thanks Cap’n Douche.
    p-dogking editor the gratemagman1979watto_cobracornchip