Here are the vehicles and receivers with Apple CarPlay announced in 2018 & 2019

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    My ideal Apple Car Play would be a slot for an iPad with a lightening connector for charging and amplification out to the car's speakers....
    Yes! This!
    The car maker can save money by not having to install a screen and an OS, and not paying licensing fees to mapping companies, or M$, or whoever's core tech they use now.... the end-user can pick their tablet of choice (may require a dealer-purchased adapter to make it fit perfectly... the proper plug and all) ... the auto-maker only then needs to develop an app that works with carplay/android to get their HVAC controls and such onto the screen. 

The car makers like to tout their own in-car systems... and the buyer chooses between them because they have to... but it's really like choosing between Herpes, HepA, or HIV.... none of them are good choices... and both CarPlay and AndroidAuto are far better ... you actually get the things you WANT. :)
    cornchipGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 111
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    tzeshan said:
    Do you notice that one important number is missing in all the CarPly available cars? There is no screen resolution specified. This is counter high-tech standard that Apple is very good at. For one thing, I like to know if the screens are all retina display like the iPads? Or maybe the screen resolution is fixed for CarPlay?
    Apple supports four resolutions for CarPlay at this time.

800x480
    960x540
    1280x720
    1920x720.

The screens are NOT retina display. Remember, you have to deal with CarPlay units that are as cheap as 300 USD retail up to the ones that are over 1000. Some have touch resistive screens, not capacitive sense. Even on units that have a 9 inch display, you're still getting a relatively low resolution display, just bigger pixels and bigger touch targets. This is down to cost. Manufacturers pick low bidders. 

Apple says, "minimum screen size is 6 inches. If you (a manufacturer) have a non-standard resolution, contact them."
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 111
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    vmarks said:
    tzeshan said:
    Do you notice that one important number is missing in all the CarPly available cars? There is no screen resolution specified. This is counter high-tech standard that Apple is very good at. For one thing, I like to know if the screens are all retina display like the iPads? Or maybe the screen resolution is fixed for CarPlay?

800x480
    960x540
    1280x720
    1920x720.

The screens are NOT retina display. Remember, you have to deal with CarPlay units that are as cheap as 300 USD retail up to the ones that are over 1000. Some have touch resistive screens, not capacitive sense. Even on units that have a 9 inch display, you're still getting a relatively low resolution display, just bigger pixels and bigger touch targets. This is down to cost. Manufacturers pick low bidders. 

Apple says, "minimum screen size is 6 inches. If you (a manufacturer) have a non-standard resolution, contact them."
    I would think that, because a CarPlay monitor is meant to be viewed in quick glances from a relative distance that bigger icons and brightness/anti-reflectiveness would be more important than resolution, detail, color accuracy and shading.

But, with augmented reality on its way, I could see maps being enhanced with it (showing an actual view out the windshield with directions overlaid on it.   That would require a higher end display.  One that is is larger, brighter and more detailed.

But, I still think the ideal CarPlay system would be a slot for an iPad with a lightening connector for power and audio.  And, with the $329 Gen6 iPad, a manufacturer could probably save money doing it.
    kingofsomewherehotjblongz
  • Reply 24 of 111
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    vmarks said:
    tzeshan said:

800x480
    960x540
    1280x720
    1920x720.

Higher resolution is very useful for maps app. With lower resolution the app may not draw as many street names or the names drown will be unclear. 
  • Reply 25 of 111
    When will the new CarPlay installed 2019 Camry be available? 
  • Reply 26 of 111
    tzeshan said:
    You should probably ask Toyota.
    macseeker
  • Reply 27 of 111
    tzeshan said:
    Toyota won't say until it is available. 
  • Reply 28 of 111
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Article is good try to pull the CarPlay announcements, supported vehicles in 2018. Why informed car buyer would purchase new car without CarPlay. In fact for safety and convenience, the tight integration of phone connectivity(USB or wireless) to car's infotainment system is must and more important today than past. With OS12's 3rd party app carplay support, Bluetooth 5, wireless carplay days are coming sooner. Also, WiFi Hub in car should work like tethering hub where everyone in car connects to WiFi hub/router built into infotainment and one of passenger's phone provides cellular connectivity so everyone has internet in car.
    I am waiting for my auto manufacturer supports carplay and seems like 2019 model(Camry) coming end of the year is my purchase.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    Thanks for the summary.  A table by Apple Insider would be so very appreciated (since Apple doesn't publish one) that lets you see details such as touchscreen (or not), wireless CarPlay (or wired), and screen size
    TigerWilliamsroundaboutnow
  • Reply 32 of 111
    Are the new Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX & AVH-W8400NEX the only units from any manufacturer that have both wireless CarPlay and a CD player ?
  • Reply 33 of 111
    Are the new Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX & AVH-W8400NEX the only units from any manufacturer that have both wireless CarPlay and a CD player ?
    What's a CD player ? ;) 

• Reply 34 of 111
    rkrk Posts: 4member
    Is BMW going ahead and charging $300/year for CarPlay in it's models?

I believe currently it's $300 to have it. Then in their 2019 vehicles it'll be $80.00 subscription. BMW say's it's cheaper for people that lease their cars for 3 years. If you intend to keep your BMW longer you'll pay $80 till the car dies or you sell it. 
  • Reply 35 of 111
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    Toyota won't say until it is available. 
    Someone claimed working for Toyota posted 8 2019 models with CarPlay including Camry. So far we know Avalon,RAV4,Corolla HB,Camry,Sienna.
  • Reply 36 of 111
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    HeliBum said:
    Not a comprehensive list by any means. I know that the head unit standard in many, if not all, 2018 Dodge Durango models supports CarPlay. I've been shopping those models for a while and I don't believe the 2017 models had it. I wonder how many other models added it in 2018 but didn't have an official announcement.

No, it wasn't. They could have probably just linked the Apple website below and made it easier. 

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/
  • Reply 37 of 111
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    FWIW -- I recently rented a 2017 Nissan Rogue that had CarPlay, and enjoyed using it quite a bit. It is already a priority for me in my next vehicle (an updated list of hybrid SUVs with CarPlay would be nice to have ... #hinthint), but more hands-on time convinces me that it will eventualy become as standard as a radio (and may well eventually replace the radio outright, since every radio station in the world is now online as well -- and terrestial broadcast radio's days are numbered due to future uses for those frequencies).
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 38 of 111
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    2019 JEEP Cherokee has one of the best.  Totally touch screen.  Audi and Mercedes suck because you have to use the wheel to scroll selections.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    This ongoing list is getting tiresome. It is not useful. It would be useful if it were simply a list of all makes and models which support CarPlay, regardless of when that support started. Highlight any new entries. Get rid of all the useless pictures. Be sure it's alphabetized by make and model. There, now we have something useful!
    roundaboutnowmacseeker
  • Reply 40 of 111
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    My ideal Apple Car Play would be a slot for an iPad with a lightening connector for charging and amplification out to the car's speakers....
    That would be horrid, as the UI isn't designed for use while driving and have very small tap targets.
    tyler82