Comparing the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 performance versus the iPhone X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Many people buy devices shortly after their introduction. Early comparisons are appreciated because, if I’ve been waiting months for a device to be released, I’m not going to wait another month or two to read your review. In fact, I may have pre-ordered and plan to return it if it sucks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:
    OK, I'll bite. Why run a comparison with an 11-month old Apple device instead of waiting for the new models next month?

Because it's not fair to compare Apples latest to Samsungs latest.
    How is it not fair? These are the latest devices from these companies. When the next iPhone is out it will surely be tested against this Samsung device and others. There's no skullduggery here and there's nothing atypical about comparing current devices.
    Well, no.  It’s not appropriate. The problem is that web sites rush these comparisons out. Do they need to? No, they don’t. They could wait a month to get it right. Besides, the iPhone X is not intended to compete with a Note. A better comparison is the S9 non Note series. This year, with the large iPhone, the comparison will be more apt, particularly if it does have Pencil support, though I’d like to see a shorter Pencil too.
    1) So they should wait a month to test it against the iPhone X? If you mean the next iPhone coming out in a month, then that would be rushing that review since it had just come out. What about this review is not competent or seemed rushed to you?

2) I don't know when they got their hands on the Note 9 but it launches tomorrow so I assume they've been testing it for at least a week and today is the day they're allowed to  post their review.
    Rushed because you shouldn’t review a phone that just now becoming available, to a phone that’s 11 months old, and is shortly being replaced as the flagship within 3 weeks. A phone that isn’t even intended to compete directly against the Note. If the Note came out three months ago, it would have made more sense. And why would they compare it to an iPhone X a month from now? Where do you get that idea from?

i see other sites do it, but the comparison isn’t comparing like to like.
    They are both flagship devices by these companies and have comparable price points. If you don’t read about  benchmarks for a new Samsung device or how it compares to the lastest flagship tech on the market then don’t read the fucking article.

Personally, I’m curious to see this comparison. If this device came out after the next iPhone was released I’d still want to see how it stacks up against older iPhones. I think it’s hysterical that a brand new flagship device with a much higher clock speed and a lot more RAM using a lot more power still can’t compete with a year old iPhone.

PS: With your “like to like” statement then they should never compare an Android-based device with an iOS-based device so why even read the article since you’re not here to learn about the Note 9.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 23 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Many people buy devices shortly after their introduction. Early comparisons are appreciated because, if I’ve been waiting months for a device to be released, I’m not going to wait another month or two to read your review. In fact, I may have pre-ordered and plan to return it if it sucks.
    So you’re going to wait until a product is relegated to second tier, and compare that to a very different device that’s just coming out, when you know the new one will be out in three weeks? Unless you broke, or lost your phone, it would make no sense.
    sweetheart777
  • Reply 24 of 45

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:
    OK, I'll bite. Why run a comparison with an 11-month old Apple device instead of waiting for the new models next month?

How is it not fair? These are the latest devices from these companies. When the next iPhone is out it will surely be tested against this Samsung device and others. There's no skullduggery here and there's nothing atypical about comparing current devices.
    Well, no.  It’s not appropriate. The problem is that web sites rush these comparisons out. Do they need to? No, they don’t. They could wait a month to get it right. Besides, the iPhone X is not intended to compete with a Note. A better comparison is the S9 non Note series. This year, with the large iPhone, the comparison will be more apt, particularly if it does have Pencil support, though I’d like to see a shorter Pencil too.
    1) So they should wait a month to test it against the iPhone X? If you mean the next iPhone coming out in a month, then that would be rushing that review since it had just come out. What about this review is not competent or seemed rushed to you?

2) I don't know when they got their hands on the Note 9 but it launches tomorrow so I assume they've been testing it for at least a week and today is the day they're allowed to  post their review.
    Rushed because you shouldn’t review a phone that just now becoming available, to a phone that’s 11 months old, and is shortly being replaced as the flagship within 3 weeks. A phone that isn’t even intended to compete directly against the Note. If the Note came out three months ago, it would have made more sense. And why would they compare it to an iPhone X a month from now? Where do you get that idea from?

They are both flagship devices by these companies and have comparable price points. If you don’t read about  benchmarks for a new Samsung device or how it compares to the lastest flagship tech on the market then don’t read the fucking article.

Personally, I’m curious to see this comparison. If this device came out after the next iPhone was released I’d still want to see how it stacks up against older iPhones. I think it’s hysterical that a brand new flagship device with a much higher clock speed and a lot more RAM using a lot more power still can’t compete with a year old iPhone.

PS: With your “like to like” statement then they should never compare an Android-based device with an iOS-based device so why even read the article since you’re not here to learn about the Note 9.
    Still makes no sense. You always compare year old products to new ones? Unless it’s a price break you’re looking for, I can’t see why that would be useful. If you’re amusing yourself, then maybe.

comparing Android to iOS isn’t odd. It’s like comparing a gas car to an electric model when trying to see which better meets your needs. But again, unless you’re looking for a price break on the older model, you’d compare the same new models. When you decide what kind you want you compare like to like. You don’t compare a sports model with an SUV.
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 25 of 45
    Dammit. That Note 9 absolutely destroyed the iPhone in Antutu benchmarks. Apple, hang thy head in shame. How is it that the iPhone's GPU is so weak by such a huge degree? I'd heard Apple was going to design it's own GPU chips, so I hope they can do better than with what they have now. When the news media gets wind of the iPhone getting its butt kicked in certain benchmarks, Apple won't be able to sell another iPhone. I'm almost tempted to sell all my Apple stock.
    /s

Ahhhh, do consumers really buy smartphones based on benchmarks?  I doubt it.  Most of the people I know with smartphones don't even follow stuff like that.  So many of the people I know who buy smartphones usually pick up the ones that are on sale or talked into buying it due to a salesperson's urging.  Android smartphones are always going on sale, so they always have an advantage to make a quick sale.  If I were buying a Note 9 it would be for the features the iPhone X doesn't offer which would be the S-Pen and a (up to 512MB) microSD slot.  1TB is some spicy storage which Apple will never be able to top with any iPhone, as it would cost about $1500.
    edited August 2018 tmaysweetheart777
  • Reply 26 of 45
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:

Still makes no sense. You always compare year old products to new ones? Unless it’s a price break you’re looking for, I can’t see why that would be useful. If you’re amusing yourself, then maybe.

comparing Android to iOS isn’t odd. It’s like comparing a gas car to an electric model when trying to see which better meets your needs. But again, unless you’re looking for a price break on the older model, you’d compare the same new models. When you decide what kind you want you compare like to like. You don’t compare a sports model with an SUV.
    1) I compare current products to each other, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing new flagship products get bested by products that have been out for nearly a year with the same price points.

2) It's definitely more odd to compare Android to iOS devices for purchase decisions since those customers aren't likely to cross over. Going from a diesel, gas, hybrid, or EV makes sense because they all still use the same roads, but with either OS you need to re-download, possibly purchase apps again, sign in since backups don't carry over, and sometimes find alternative apps. Going from a $70k Mercedes to a $70k Tesla doesn't mean I'll have to learn how to drive again.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:

1) I compare current products to each other, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing new flagship products get bested by products that have been out for nearly a year with the same price points.

2) It's definitely more odd to compare Android to iOS devices for purchase decisions since those customers aren't likely to cross over. Going from a diesel, gas, hybrid, or EV makes sense because they all still use the same roads, but with either OS you need to re-download, possibly purchase apps again, sign in since backups don't carry over, and sometimes find alternative apps. Going from a $70k Mercedes to a $70k Tesla doesn't mean I'll have to learn how to drive again.
    Still, we know that several million move between Android and iOS every year.

as I said, if it amuses you. But these comparisons aren’t out to amuse people, they’re out to influence purchase decisions. Not so much here, and I wasn’t criticizing this comparison because of that. But in other sites, it’s a very definite attempt to influence buying decisions. You can tell by the way everything is worded.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:

as I said, if it amuses you. But these comparisons aren’t out to amuse people, they’re out to influence purchase decisions. Not so much here, and I wasn’t criticizing this comparison because of that. But in other sites, it’s a very definite attempt to influence buying decisions. You can tell by the way everything is worded.
    If AI's goal isn't to influence users to buy the Note 9 and that's the only reason to do a comparison then why did they write it? How about they did it to attract readers and they don't give a fuck whether you buy an iPhone, a Note, or any other device… just like nearly all other independent websites. Samsung has an agenda which is why they give out test units, but so does Apple and every other vendor.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Would be interested in a battery life comparison which is probably of more interest to the average owner  :)
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:

If AI's goal isn't to influence users to buy the Note 9 and that's the only reason to do a comparison then why did they write it? How about they did it to attract readers and they don't give a fuck whether you buy an iPhone, a Note, or any other device… just like nearly all other independent websites. Samsung has an agenda which is why they give out test units, but so does Apple and every other vendor.
    They did it to show that a year old iPhone can outperform a new Samsung Phone.
    watto_cobrasweetheart777
  • Reply 31 of 45
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:

No shit, but you said that 1) it’s not appropriate, 2) this comparison was rushed, and 3) that they shouldn't have ever made the comparison to an 11 month old iPhone, even though it's the current model.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:

No shit, but you said that 1) it’s not appropriate, 2) this comparison was rushed, and 3) that they shouldn't have ever made the comparison to an 11 month old iPhone, even though it's the current model.
    And what I said is true. But I’m mostly referring to other site comparisons, which are trying to make the Note look good by minimizing the virtues of the X vs the Note. Insider is kind of the opposite on that, trying to be a counterweight.

nevertheless, it’s a weak comparison. Those who value the bigger screen of the Note, and the Wacom tree stylus are not going to consider the iPhone at all, no matter what.

so with the new iPhone being possibly even a touch bigger, and, (hopefully) having support for the Pencil, it’s a far more apt comparison. They could have waited the three weeks.
    bestkeptsecretsweetheart777
  • Reply 33 of 45
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:

And what I said is true. But I’m mostly referring to other site comparisons, which are trying to make the Note look good by minimizing the virtues of the X vs the Note. Insider is kind of the opposite on that, trying to be a counterweight.

nevertheless, it’s a weak comparison. Those who value the bigger screen of the Note, and the Wacom tree stylus are not going to consider the iPhone at all, no matter what.

so with the new iPhone being possibly even a touch bigger, and, (hopefully) having support for the Pencil, it’s a far more apt comparison. They could have waited the three weeks.
    If there was no new flagship Samsung device for the better part of a year when the 2018 iPhone came out it would be tested against their current flagship. Do you also think AI is "being a counterweight" when they compare the 2017 and 2018 Macs to each other? No! They're simplify doing the legwork so 'us' readers can get a glimpse of how two distance devices compare. Claiming this article is inappropriate is absurd.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 34 of 45
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Unsurprising that the S9 got mostly spanked by the iPhone X -- remember it was designed to be a showcase for future technologies, so of course it's a bit ahead of its time. Apple's chip-engineering team don't get nearly enough credit for the truly miraculous improvements they've been making in the A-series over the past few years (and to be fair, the S9 can boast that its performance is also much improved from the S8).
    Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    chasm said:
    (and to be fair, the S9 can boast that its performance is also much improved from the S8).

No, that is not true for exynos version of the S9. Anandtech has done detailed testing of Exynos version of S9 and does not have many good words to say about it. Snapdragon version is an improvement though.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review/4

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12478/exynos-9810-handson-awkward-first-results

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12615/improving-exynos-9810-galaxy-s9-part-1

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12620/improving-the-exynos-9810-galaxy-s9-part-2

Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Benchmarks are meaningless. 
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    melgross said:
    Soli said:
    melgross said:

Soli said:
    sunman42 said:

If there was no new flagship Samsung device for the better part of a year when the 2018 iPhone came out it would be tested against their current flagship. Do you also think AI is "being a counterweight" when they compare the 2017 and 2018 Macs to each other? No! They're simplify doing the legwork so 'us' readers can get a glimpse of how two distance devices compare. Claiming this article is inappropriate is absurd.
    When comparing the same conmpany’s products to each other, year to year, of course it’s appropiate. People are staying within the platform, and it’s a matter of seeing what the company has done. The same thing comparing iPhones year to year. It’s not a competitive question.

most other sites are very Android friendly, and Samsung friendly. The reporting tends to minimize Apple’s product virtues, and maximize those of Android, particularly samsung’s. One writer, properly, I believe, said that “Android products are rated on a curve”. It’s true. And when iOS products are tested in conjunction, a minor problem is often blown out of proportion, while a similar, or bigger Amdroud product problem is hardly mentioned.

thats bad enough when both are new, similar, devices, but when one is almost a year old, with the older OS as well, it’s just not a fair comparison. Even if it’s being done here to act as a counterweight to those other reports.

compare the iPhone X to the Note 8, if one must. At least it’s the same year. But compare the iPhone X to last year’s Galaxy 8, not the Note.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    KidAKidB said:
    Benchmarks are meaningless. 
    No, they’re not. While there is no exact relationship between benchmarks and specific real world performance, the is certainly an approximate relationship. A device that performs significantly better in benchmarks performs significantly better in daily use as well.

its not as though this hasn’t been proven since computers first arrived in the late 1940’s.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 45
    hentaiboy said:
    Would be interested in a battery life comparison which is probably of more interest to the average owner  :)

I stumbled upon that last weekend:

Battery comparison including Huawei and One plus

• Reply 40 of 45
    edited August 2018