Latest California Apple store robbery caught on video

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    I think ‘robbery’ is the wrong word for this crime and an exaggeration.  I think ‘shoplifting’ is the correct word.
    I don't think you know what "shoplifting" means. Here is some help:

Shoplifting: -noun- "The criminal action of stealing goods from a shop while pretending to be a customer."

They were, in no way, pretending to be a customer.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Any devices which leave the store that have not been paid for should automatically brick themselves, especially the floor models. I'm confident Apple could do this.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 23 of 27
    stanhope said:
    In the first major Apple store theft since the arrival of the new iPhones, several individuals carried out a robbery in Santa Rosa, and one suspect was caught.

The Santa Rosa Apple Store

In another of a long series of similar robberies in California, several men rushed into an Apple store in Santa Rosa, Calif., on Sunday and stole merchandise from display tables before running off. But this time, a bystander videotaped both the robbery itself and one of the suspects being wrestled to the ground by security guards and civilians.

The bystander, who uses the online username "Gooneryoda," filmed the videos and later posted them to Twitter, YouTube and Reddit.

"I was at the Santa Rosa Plaza and I saw these six guys in jeans and hoodies making a their way to the Apple Store. I knew something was about to go down so I recorded it," Gooneryoda wrote on r/Apple subreddit, before posting the video of the suspects running into the store:

The user then posted a second video of one of the suspects being subdued, wrestled to the ground and handcuffed by a pair of uniformed officers and two men in plain clothes, in what appears to be a different part of the mall (caution: strong language):

Later in the day, the Santa Rosa Police Department's Facebook page reported that "several thieves entered the Apple Store at the Santa Rosa Plaza mall and ran away with multiple devices."

Dozens of similar Apple store robberies have taken place this year throughout California, and at least two crews carrying out the crimes have been arrested. The thefts have often been caught on store security video, but rarely have they been recorded live by bystanders. The same Apple store, at Santa Rosa Plaza, was similarly robbed in late August, with thieves making off with $35,000 in merchandise.

Law enforcement sources contacted by AppleInsider in recent weeks are unclear on how many crews are at work and if they are connected. One officer, Lt. Robert Boll of the Burlingame Police Department, said there's likely a copycat effect at work.

"They see how easy it is when the news plays the video," he told AppleInsider.
    I am totally against theft.  That said, these incidents generate massive publicity.  Nobody is breaking in the microsoft stores LMAO. Think of the thefts as commercial time and quantify the dollars it represents.  The cost of the goods stolen isn’t even a blip for Apple. If Apple seriously wanted to stop this there are security experts who could show them how
    I disagree.
    I can’t even fathom that line of thinking, tbh.
    Absolutely nobody wants to feel in danger from scumbag thieves, while perusing Apple products & deciding which ones to spend their hard earned money on. In no world do these thefts make consumers more excited to go down to the local Apple store and bring lots of money with them.
    Sadly, the balance of having armed security onsite or something is definitely not a valid trade off for most.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    It would be nice if the demo devices had cellular connections, gps with “Find my iPhone,” and couldn’t be turned off without a passcode. That would give the authorities time until the batteries ran out to track the stolen devices. Seems like it would be worth the extra expense, given the frequency of these thefts. Maybe also post a few plainclothes security guards outside stores most likely to be targeted, so they can grab thieves after they have safely exited the store.

• Reply 25 of 27
    Look what I found. I had a quick link recap on google and found a note I took after a tech report issue on my home studio transparency and where an open end of my transparency began. Who the person was, the by which name in privilege I will share and what I posted was in August 20th of 2016 on google plus as a post partial note: 

"What ever you do if you contact apple do not trust [[[[Karen Boyd]]]] from  [[Apple]] from [[San Diego California]]. She happens to lead you by the tail with some suggestions and then get you off the wire of getting your phone replaced. Once again do not trust this woman in sales or technical issues related to the iphone 6. She will try to treat you kind at first but then act as if then try to make you feel like your a new customer as suppose to a loyal one for decades. So just putting that out there. The word is given. ‪#‎applesales‬ ‪#‎applecustomersupport‬ ‪#‎sprintcustomerrelations‬ ‪#‎Sprintmobile‬"
    August 20 2017 Google Plus

Note that Karen Boyd worked in the District of Columbia as an law enforcer officer in 2017 in my ward area and declining business struck hard then after within neighboring wards in the District, Note make that more than one service ward areas declined in a domino effect due to shut downs including housing facilities the year after. She was probably co-monitoring her work in sales for apple however... I think this kind of practice could be frowned upon and shamed if not taken to such measure in a way that presents justice in her duties be that she works at Apple or within the justice league or with any alliances including allowances within the private sector in intelligent property mishandling and her high profile in any services may be revoked under constitutional terms and policy with holding insufficient rights to practice during the mesh of operation time which may not be truly or at any comprehension in Kosher. I just thought to note that even as a CGI senior developer and field engineer who studied Judaic law. I suspect "Karen Boyd" on my behalf as a witness and as a third party in what she was doing with divisive intent and with other malicious devious means that was larger than the whole and have sprawled out of her means and control today as an IT Recruiter with some malicious intent backing. That's all. What she has done literally has ejaculated thousands into the streets and have them captivated by the hand of shoplifting including possibly online shoplifting stigma within the District and have a lot of children allocated in Juvie or other institutions and not fair paying summer jobs and after school programs. You know funny then (august 20th 2017) there were a ring loads of Amazon five finger thrift shoppers that swelled in the ward areas in August through January which many that moved in for interests of opening business decided to go and leave. See now, if you pick on the middle guy the rest of the knowledge washes out too. So that's what happened. makes sense? if it doesn't do the cluster math if you can find it on the Mac end if not. well I guess that's why A CGI like myself is a cross platform character and not an entry system developer.
    That's my tip of the hat.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 26 of 27

Abraham69 said:
    It's acts like these kids do that get both healthcare and welfare check cuts.. perhaps better education and institutions and programs to keep kids out of the streets? Thought that was the whole idea former Gov. Arnold was promoting? Perhaps, look at the French Canadian cities on solutions for some ideas on this double sided issue. Or even in Melbourne or Sydney Australia when it comes to family dire situations and handling them in these crisis. I think someone on the inside of apple is doing this. NOT an issue of just a ring leader to produce benefit losses. A phat federal check to pay apple on a employee apple solutions survey would be more appealing if it was taken to the admin below the Apple Inc. CEO area. Something a bit beyond intel can do. What do you guys think?
    The idea is to have whole families with fathers that are present (physically) and as role figures. Statistics show that that alone fixes a lot of problems. Single mother households, on the other hand, produce people like these fine gentlemen - in 80% of the single mother households! Think about that. Getting kids off the streets does not work, if the only pattern they learnt was - living off of the street crime.

I wasn't born yesterday and didn't have one hurdle to survive. I know what's inside this situation and may need to be addressed further to the bottom line.