The Apple versus Microsoft hardware double-standard rears up again with the latest Surface...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    benagebenage Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    sflocal said:
    My friend is a Surface Book fan and when we went on a diving trip a couple years back, bringing our respective mobile devices (I brought my MacBook Pro), his Suface Book was so unreliable, would randomly freeze that at one point, he literally slammed his mouse on the display in frustration that I thought he was going to break it.  

Just pieces of junk.  People must really hate Apple to its core to defend their Microsoft purchases.  
    Yeah, solid piece of research there...

I could point out this:
    https://petapixel.com/2018/09/15/my-experience-with-apple-as-a-photographer-and-creative-pro-in-short-not-good/

Everyone has an opinion but come on!

I'm just going to say "People must really hate Microsoft to its core to defend their Apple purchases".
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 42 of 62
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    djsherly said:
    kimberly said:
    dewme said:
    Bringing up the Apple vs Microsoft thing as if it still matters is lost on me. I’ve never bought a Mac because I was trying to stick it to Microsoft. Or vice versa.  I buy Macs because I like the OS X user experience and upkeep model much more than I like Windows 10. Mac OS is cleaner and has far less claptrap than Windows 10. But Windows 10 is inoffensive and I use it for some specific apps. No big deal. I also use Linux. No big deal. For me it’s never been a zero sum game or holy war. Windows paid the bills for me and provided me with sufficient discretionary income to fuel my Apple passion. It’s all good. 
    Well said.  Sometimes on AI, it's like a sporting event with the rabid supporters from each side going hammer and tongs.  Sometimes it's funny and at other times pathetic.  I'm drawn to macOS because of the underlying Unix based core (Unix 03 certified) and earn a living dealing with operating systems.  I only get my hands dirty with Terminal every so often these days but it is good to know I can if I want to.  I like the original Unix paradigm with lots of very small tools.  Each tool does one thing and does it very well.  The output from one tool can be the input to the next tool.  Power with simplicity.  Microsoft has always had a closed door paradigm on its operating systems, and since I'm no Mark Russinovich, this approach has much less allure for me as an IT person. 
    You’d be surprised with power shell then. It takes the piping paradigm and dials it up to 11. You can pipe not only text between processes but “objects”. Takes a bit of getting your head around but it’s the ducks nuts. 
    I've written close to a million lines of PowerShell code and automation using PowerShell is my primary skill set where I work as a DevOps Mgr.  Windows PowerShell is excellent although now that it is the end of the road for Windows PowerShell (being replaced with PowerShell Core) the future is not so clear. That is good from cross platform perspective (I have PowerShell Core on my iMac at home and it is fine) BUT a lot of .NET Framework Core is missing Windows specific stuff (e.g. SQL Server, Exchange, Forms etc).  My point about Unix is that the lots of small tools paradigm is a foundation attribute of Unix as an OS whereas PowerShell (whilst being great) runs against a proprietary OS.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    AI seems to forget that Microsoft is not a hardware company.   When they sell hardware it's mostly to exploit and demonstrate their software.

And, with that, Microsoft left Apple in the dust.
    Nearly a decade ago they developed an OS that works either in touch-screen mode or touchpad mode.   And, since then they have proceeded to refine and perfect it. 

Meanwhile, Apple is stuck back a decade or two ago where you still need to buy and carry two devices:  One for touch-screen and one for touchpad mode.

The Windows OS provides freedom to the user:  he can use touch-screen when that works best then switch to touchpad when that works best.

Apple is lagging behind.
    I can hear Steve now:   "This is crap!   Fix it!"
    ...  And, I am sure that they will.  Apple has always hated it when Microsoft made them look bad.

I believe that with Marzipan Apple is beginning the journey to one OS that will provide both cursor (mouse) and touch input.    It will probably take years of work .   Unlike MS which just has one OS left to maintain and development resembles a latter going straight up.   But Apples development is more like a building a building with  multiple walls going up where one wall is the iOS, one wall watchOS, one wall is macOs, one wall is tvOS, one wall is tvOS (leaving out homepodOS for now).   The walls go up at slightly different rates but a new story is added there is a new floor to live on which is the whole ecosystem that is better than the ecosystem from four or five years ago.   So I expect the transition to one OS that handles both cursor and touch input will take 8 to 10 years.   

The surface Pro is a pretty decent windows laptop but its dock is a horribly heavy brick that feels like it weighs as much as the Surface Pro.  I would say that Windows 10 works better as a desktop OS and most people use it that way.   And with this last update Microsoft has just phoned it in.   No USB C at this point ridiculous.   They should have dropped the Mini-display port to a Thunderbolt Port that also does power.   Such a weak presentation it's no wonder that there are rumors that Nadella has cancelled the surface program.   
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 62
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    k2kw said:
    AI seems to forget that Microsoft is not a hardware company.   When they sell hardware it's mostly to exploit and demonstrate their software.

Nearly a decade ago they developed an OS that works either in touch-screen mode or touchpad mode.   And, since then they have proceeded to refine and perfect it. 

Meanwhile, Apple is stuck back a decade or two ago where you still need to buy and carry two devices:  One for touch-screen and one for touchpad mode.

The Windows OS provides freedom to the user:  he can use touch-screen when that works best then switch to touchpad when that works best.

Apple is lagging behind.
    ...  And, I am sure that they will.  Apple has always hated it when Microsoft made them look bad.

I believe that with Marzipan Apple is beginning the journey to one OS that will provide both cursor (mouse) and touch input.    It will probably take years of work .   Unlike MS which just has one OS left to maintain and development resembles a latter going straight up.   But Apples development is more like a building a building with  multiple walls going up where one wall is the iOS, one wall watchOS, one wall is macOs, one wall is tvOS, one wall is tvOS (leaving out homepodOS for now).   The walls go up at slightly different rates but a new story is added there is a new floor to live on which is the whole ecosystem that is better than the ecosystem from four or five years ago.   So I expect the transition to one OS that handles both cursor and touch input will take 8 to 10 years.   

The surface Pro is a pretty decent windows laptop but its dock is a horribly heavy brick that feels like it weighs as much as the Surface Pro.  I would say that Windows 10 works better as a desktop OS and most people use it that way.   And with this last update Microsoft has just phoned it in.   No USB C at this point ridiculous.   They should have dropped the Mini-display port to a Thunderbolt Port that also does power.   Such a weak presentation it's no wonder that there are rumors that Nadella has cancelled the surface program.   
    Excellent points about Apple constructing a building rather than putting up a (quicky) ladder.  That's one of the main things that make them so great:   They create a solid foundation rather than popping out new features to lure the gullible.

But, I don't think Apple needs to have only a single OS to accomplish its purpose.   It could simply add the cursor and touchpad support back into iOS (which they removed back when they created iOS by copying it from MacOS and deleting unnecessary functionality).   Back when they did that, iphones were phones with tiny 3.5" screens and were primarily used as phones.  But, the times just keep changing and now we have 12" iPads with desktop like power.   It's time to add the functionality back in, untie the hands of the iPad and let it really compete as a laptop (or even a desktop) replacement.   While it is unlikely that it will ever fully replace a dedicated laptop or (especially) desktop -- especially at the pro level, for many/most people it will be a very welcome upgrade.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Did he really just compare a Surface Studio to an iPad Pro?

And speaking of lies, when Apple boasts that Macs are outselling PCs, thats completely truthful and definitely not a play on numbers.

There is so much wrong and biased in this article, but then again, this IS Apple Insider.
    singularity
  • Reply 46 of 62
    I’ve been in Windows support for over 20 years & remember hating on Apple like most Windows fanboys (mostly because of group think & lack of experience with macOS).

Windows 8 made me very frustrated & Windows 10 was the final draw for me to try & learn macOS.

After using macOS for 6 years I honestly cannot even look at Windows let alone use/support it. So many aggravating issues, so many inconsistencies and don’t even get me started on the whole telemetry hellhole! 

macOS problems are nowhere near the number of issues Windows 10 users have to deal with.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:

Apple is lagging behind.

Excellent points about Apple constructing a building rather than putting up a (quicky) ladder.  That's one of the main things that make them so great:   They create a solid foundation rather than popping out new features to lure the gullible.

But, I don't think Apple needs to have only a single OS to accomplish its purpose.   It could simply add the cursor and touchpad support back into iOS (which they removed back when they created iOS by copying it from MacOS and deleting unnecessary functionality).   Back when they did that, iphones were phones with tiny 3.5" screens and were primarily used as phones.  But, the times just keep changing and now we have 12" iPads with desktop like power.   It's time to add the functionality back in, untie the hands of the iPad and let it really compete as a laptop (or even a desktop) replacement.   While it is unlikely that it will ever fully replace a dedicated laptop or (especially) desktop -- especially at the pro level, for many/most people it will be a very welcome upgrade.

I don't want to imply that one OS will run the Apple watch, Apple TV, iphone, and mac Computers.   but there will be more shared code to make development easier for themselves.   macOS will probably support touch based apps written for Marzipan, and ipad iOS will probably support cursor input .   I don't know if iPad iOS will gain multi-user support back in though.   It's something that lots of families could use so I would put the chance of that at more than 50% but it will take time to work in - maybe 3 years from now (after the switch to FaceID on the iPad).   I wouldn't think a phone or watch OS would need multiUser Support but maybe the phone would get it.    HomePodOS and Siri also adds another complexity into this.   I believe that HomePodOS should provide for multiUser voice recognition and tie in with individual user's calendars on iPads, iPhones, and Macs.    All these features have to be planned out balanced with other improvements to each individual device.   For implementing a big feature like multi-user support Apple may decide to only implement on the Pro because  it has more CPU power and SDD space than the regular iPad.   

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Microsoft Studio 2 and Apple iPad Pro are slightly different products.

I have gotten over my anti-Microsoft stance long ago.

I guess it still lingers with some.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:

Apple is lagging behind.

I don't want to imply that one OS will run the Apple watch, Apple TV, iphone, and mac Computers.   but there will be more shared code to make development easier for themselves.   macOS will probably support touch based apps written for Marzipan, and ipad iOS will probably support cursor input .   I don't know if iPad iOS will gain multi-user support back in though.   It's something that lots of families could use so I would put the chance of that at more than 50% but it will take time to work in - maybe 3 years from now (after the switch to FaceID on the iPad).   I wouldn't think a phone or watch OS would need multiUser Support but maybe the phone would get it.    HomePodOS and Siri also adds another complexity into this.   I believe that HomePodOS should provide for multiUser voice recognition and tie in with individual user's calendars on iPads, iPhones, and Macs.    All these features have to be planned out balanced with other improvements to each individual device.   For implementing a big feature like multi-user support Apple may decide to only implement on the Pro because  it has more CPU power and SDD space than the regular iPad.   

That all sounds reasonable...  Very reasonable.   Very probable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 62
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    "Microsoft has never sold so many Surface PCs in a year, and its sales haven't really grown since it launched the Surface idea, so it's not really clear what he's trying to say in calling Apple's vastly larger Mac business "mediocre at best." But the words he uses are that "Apple is in a position where it can let the Mac line go old and stale because Apple isn't a computer company anymore. It's now a company that sells the iPhone."  -quoting the article.

Let's just get one thing straight:  There is nothing more, that 100% PC fools would love, is for Apple to KILL the mac line.  They would DIE for that to happen.  They would finally have something to TRULY laugh at Apple about and all the Fans.  They HATE macs and it has never been because they SUCK, or the OS is trash etc, truly.  It has primarily always been about "I am not going to waste money on a mac, when I can... blah blah blah"

The truth goes back to that saying before Apple even started as a company:  "That's like comparing Apples to Oranges"

#1 they should have NEVER compared Macs to PC, and just looked at the Mac for what it is, all they ever could come up with $$$
    #2 when Macs came out, PCs were mainly 2-4-8 chip machines, mainframes, that provided "service" to PC terminals when it came to a majority of PC at the workplace, macs were trying to eschew in the GUI in a self sufficient HOME/WORK PC.

I USE ALL THREE MAIN PC OSes, I for one, don't want any of the platforms to die.  For one reason and I'll be honest is, I would like to see if one of them DOES just flat out die in a war of attrition.  I thought this would be Windows, but it seems Linus, is quitting or something, IDK, so we'll see if someone can pickup coding the Kernel, who knows.

But like I said, they would LOVE ❤️ 💕 💘 for Apple to shoot themselves in the foot.  I 100% don't think it's gonna stop.  Mojave is SICK! for 1, and I think the boys at Apple are 100% pumped or re-pumped, to try doing macOS on ARM.  Just for fun!

So 2¢
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 62
    madanmadan Posts: 103member
    This thread is an excellent illustration of how little the majority of Windows users know... about anything computer-related.

I will say that this article read my mind.  When I read Ars Technicas breathless junk gobble on the Studio Pro (a regular there sent me a link fsfr),  I pretty much had the same conclusions as this piece’s author.

The screens are comparable.  Brightness is comparable.  The Studio 2 has 1” more real estate and yeah it has a touch screen but if you’ve used a Studio 1 for any period of time, you’d know that natural drawing is tough on it.  The hinge won’t support more than 20-25 lb. of weight.   For that kind of detail work, you’re better off getting a proper Wacom Intuit’s Pro or hell even a Graphire.  It’s also important to note that the iMac 27” has significantly denser screen, with much better PPI, especially when you take into account the different aspect ratio and 1” smaller diagonal size. 

A laptop-based 7820HQ isn’t faster than a 7700 under any circumstances and is not only clocked 50% slower but also has more limited TDP.  Hit Usebench and you’ll see that the 7700 is on avg 25-30% faster on most heavy tasks.  Comparing the 7820HQ to an iMac Pro’s upgradable Core i9 isn’t even a good joke.

The top i’Mac 27” has a Radeon RX 580 which matches the 1060 in pretty much everything.  Don’t take my word for it, just hit Tom’s hardware GPU hierarchy, Usebench or Vs. GPU: they all conclusively say the same thing.  The Vega56 in an iMac Pro is faster than the Studio 2’s 1070 option.  A Vega56 trades with a 1070 Ti.  And an iMac Pro tops out at a Vega64 which trades with a 1080 - an option upgrade the Studio 2 lacks.

Comparing a rsn vaporware Studio 2 to an almost 1.5 yr old iMac is also funny.  Let’s see how those comparisons look when Apple drops an iMac 27” refresh in June with 8-series Intels and AMD’s 680 GPU which they themselves mentioned would trade with a 1080 at Capcazic.  That machine will retail for $1000 less than a Studio 2 and will have an essential feature the Studio 2 will never have for any serious creative professional : Thunderbolt 3.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Honestly this article is really terrible why are you compairing a Surface Studio to an iPad pro? Shouldn't you be comparing a Surface pro to an iPad not a Surface Studio?
    Both serve similar but different purposes yes both have pen inputs but the Studio is a Wacom Cintiq alternative that you see not too different from a Mac mini or iMac setup hooked up to a Cintiq and not an iPad that you can carry arround in a bag to make notes, draw, and take anywhere just like the Surface Pro? Yes the issues like the 7th gen cpu in the Studio 2 Thunderbolt 3, and type C from Pro 6 that others are questioned and disappointed at Microsoft for their odd and terrible choices. The resolution the Studio from two years ago already had that resolution and other than watching media 16:9 is near straight up inferior to 3:2 like who else wants more limited screen area? Its slightly worse in ppi than the iMac's lcd but better than the Cintiq pro in ppi that the device is actually targeted at. Surface isn't the only brand to get a pc from just like Pixel and with Apple you are stuck with only Apple. Please do some actual research and not compare a $3499 pc against a $600 iPad pro stating how cheaper and portable it is compaired to a Aio pc thats not even portable.
    The article doesn't compare Surface Studio to an iPad Pro. It compares the unreleased SS2 to Apple's iMac 5K from the summer 2017. The comparison is not favorable.

If you didn't notice what computers were involved, the iMac is $300 cheaper with similar options (at Apple's upgrade prices), and offers a lot lower entry prices. 

IMacs sell the millions. Studio shipped tens of thousands of units. The comparison was just to highlight the incredibly unrealistic pricing of Surface, showing that its just a vanity project, not a real business. 

When you come to an article about Surface and you're gut immediate reaction is that "there are cheaper Windows options," congratulations, you basically understand the point of the article. Surface is a fake business that generates minimal results, has no real impact on the market, but is hyped into the stratosphere in press write-ups that compare it to Apple as if they are similar peers.

Apple shifts the industry and earns sustainable profits. That's why most PC makers are shipping MacBook Air clones, not Surface clones. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Apple is lagging behind.

No, it's marketing groups and media columnists that think Microsoft has a hardware business. What has Microsoft demonstrated in software on Surface across the last 8 years? That PC makers should be shipping tablet PCs? Because no that's no even what they are doing. That people want an all in one with a pen digitizer built in? No.

You say Windows provides freedom, but how is the touch PC doing after 8 years? Both Windows PCs and tablets are performing very badly and Micosoft's Windows licensing business has collapsed from its monopoly highs. So no, you're wrong, and you are in no place to say Steve Jobs would have tried to so something he very clearly did not intend to do as long as he was alive.

The only people who think Microsoft is making Apple "look bad" are people who don't understand the market or consumer demand. The same kind of people who were screaming that Apple needed a headless Mac to win away PC sales, or a tweener 7" iPad to win back sales from cheap Androids, or a $300 iPhone to achieve volume sales of smartphones in a competitive market. In other words, people who have always been wrong. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 62
    tedp88tedp88 Posts: 20member
    man, DED is seriously bitter about so much. Painful to read. One time I would like to see him turn his cynicism towards Apple. The way he writes, just plays into the rabid fanboy view others have of us Mac users. The MS Reddit is having a field day with this one. 

I've been a strictly Apple user for all things in life since 2007.  The simplicity and good, thoughtful technology was a major breath of fresh air that kept me hooked for a very long time. I have seen a (perceived on my part) steady slip in Apple's quality and mojo over the last few years. It could be a maturation of the brand and life cycle effects but it also seems like a shift in priorities is an issue. "Luxury" is Apple's new mantra. 

My original MBP was fully user serviceable. My 2012 rMBP had the logic board and screen replaced twice. My 2016 tbMBP has experienced a battery failure, logic board replacement and now sleep issues / sticky keys on the new repaired parts.  My iPhones (owned every one) have been buggier through the generations. The 7 was my last good one. The X has been terrible for basic voice calls (mic issues that no one can pin down and Apple just keeps replacing). The comments about poor RF and WiFi performance on XS and Max are downright alarming and this year will be the first upgrade cycle I sit out. 

I ignored all of the worrying changes with Apple's products because I was a fan. A big one. I influenced a lot of switchers. I didn't mind paying a premium for a good product and still don't. I will happily pay extra for user serviceable hardware that works well together and emphasizes longevity, value and privacy as chair legs. The serviceable part of Apple's products has disappeared. Privacy is still there. Value is questionable. 

The extra $$ we now pay simply goes towards the elitist illusion Apple is pushing. This new focus on differentiating as a luxury product, is what make me question my loyalty going forward. It feels like now that they have everyone hooked in a walled garden, they start upping the rent. If MS or Google or anyone else wants to probe the defenses, let them. We shouldn't feel threatened by it and need to defend a company who in the end only cares about our willingness to open the wallet (unless you feel some guilt for coming to the same realization and continue to spend on Apple). I am sticking with Apple for now but watching for exits. DED needs to chill and stop throwing stones. 

edited October 2018
  • Reply 55 of 62
    tedp88 said:
    man, DED is seriously bitter about so much. Painful to read. One time I would like to see him turn his cynicism towards Apple. The way he writes, just plays into the rabid fanboy view others have of us Mac users. The MS Reddit is having a field day with this one. 

I've been a strictly Apple user for all things in life since 2007.  The simplicity and good, thoughtful technology was a major breath of fresh air that kept me hooked for a very long time. I have seen a (perceived on my part) steady slip in Apple's quality and mojo over the last few years. It could be a maturation of the brand and life cycle effects but it also seems like a shift in priorities is an issue. "Luxury" is Apple's new mantra. 

My original MBP was fully user serviceable. My 2012 rMBP had the logic board and screen replaced twice. My 2016 tbMBP has experienced a battery failure, logic board replacement and now sleep issues / sticky keys on the new repaired parts.  My iPhones (owned every one) have been buggier through the generations. The 7 was my last good one. The X has been terrible for basic voice calls (mic issues that no one can pin down and Apple just keeps replacing). The comments about poor RF and WiFi performance on XS and Max are downright alarming and this year will be the first upgrade cycle I sit out. 

I ignored all of the worrying changes with Apple's products because I was a fan. A big one. I influenced a lot of switchers. I didn't mind paying a premium for a good product and still don't. I will happily pay extra for user serviceable hardware that works well together and emphasizes longevity, value and privacy as chair legs. The serviceable part of Apple's products has disappeared. Privacy is still there. Value is questionable. 

The extra $$ we now pay simply goes towards the elitist illusion Apple is pushing. This new focus on differentiating as a luxury product, is what make me question my loyalty going forward. It feels like now that they have everyone hooked in a walled garden, they start upping the rent. If MS or Google or anyone else wants to probe the defenses, let them. We shouldn't feel threatened by it and need to defend a company who in the end only cares about our willingness to open the wallet (unless you feel some guilt for coming to the same realization and continue to spend on Apple). I am sticking with Apple for now but watching for exits. DED needs to chill and stop throwing stones. 

My iPhone X has easily been the best phone I’ve ever used and has had great reception.  Maybe your phone is a lemon but don’t be spreading FUD like facts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 62
    tedp88tedp88 Posts: 20member
    ugh, I typed up a whole reply and it disappeared at posting. I can't type it again. The short version; 

@Madan, thanks for reading and glad yours is working out. My comments were prefaced as based on my observations as a long time user and owner of many products. Not FUD. Apple's stuff is still pretty great but its not perfect and could stand some critique. Especially from it's longer supporters, whom I consider myself to be one of. Apple already has a target on them and DED's schadenfreude comes off as smug and elitist. 

• For my X; My voice cuts out on calls. Not every time and only when holding it as a regular phone in certain situations. Not when using speakerphone or BT. Best explanation I've found is it's suspected to be an issue with the multiple mics and noise cancellation functionality as to which mic gets priority or cancelled out. Is that HW or SW? Not sure because Apple says nothing and all the Genii do is offer to swap it out or blame my carrier. 
    • For the XS and Max, there are well documented comments about poor WiFi and RF performance. The best read is here. Bottom line, after 10 years of production, baseline capabilities such as good RF, high quality voice calls and fast WiFi should not still be issues. 
    • My 2012 rMBP; two LG screens replaced due to ghosting and Staingate. It wasn't until I insisted on a Samsung panel that the problems went away. The average user wouldn't know to ask for that. After 2 years the logic board died. Apple replaced it for free. I had graphics gremlins throughout my ownership but in the end, I still loved the laptop. 
    • 2016 tbMBP, the battery quit charging after 6 mos. Entire top case (battery, keyboard, logic board) - all replaced. Now on the new parts, I get at least a 1x day freeze when waking from sleep. This was a wiped laptop when I got it back from Apple. No restore from Time Machine or anything. Last week I did a clean install for 10.14 and the problem is still there. Boot times have gone way up since getting the machine back. Only other clue I can find online is possible APFS / File Vault issue. Again, take it to Apple and all the HW passes diagnostics. 

I am tech savvy enough to get around all this but they are nagging, annoying issues. If I pay a premium, I *do* expect some level of perfection. Wouldn't you be upset if your BMW had trim rattles and motor issues regularly? Apple today feels focused on luxury and lifestyle. They put themselves on that pedestal. Why is DED compelled to defend them, throw stones and say everyone else's attempts are inferior the way he does?

edited October 2018 muthuk_vanalingamgatorguy
  • Reply 57 of 62
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    The line that sticks out to me is from the ZDnet Surface review:
    Apple isn't a computer company anymore. It's now a company that sells the iPhone.
    How can someone at this stage so completely misjudge Apple's true dynamic:
    Apple is a computer company. The top seller among those, the iPhone, also makes calls and takes photographs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Paymon said:
    I’ve been in Windows support for over 20 years & remember hating on Apple like most Windows fanboys (mostly because of group think & lack of experience with macOS).

Windows 8 made me very frustrated & Windows 10 was the final draw for me to try & learn macOS.

After using macOS for 6 years I honestly cannot even look at Windows let alone use/support it. So many aggravating issues, so many inconsistencies and don’t even get me started on the whole telemetry hellhole! 

macOS problems are nowhere near the number of issues Windows 10 users have to deal with.
    My thoughts, almost word for word. 
  • Reply 59 of 62
    tedp88 said:
    ugh, I typed up a whole reply and it disappeared at posting. I can't type it again. The short version; 

@Madan, thanks for reading and glad yours is working out. My comments were prefaced as based on my observations as a long time user and owner of many products. Not FUD. Apple's stuff is still pretty great but its not perfect and could stand some critique. Especially from it's longer supporters, whom I consider myself to be one of. Apple already has a target on them and DED's schadenfreude comes off as smug and elitist. 

• For my X; My voice cuts out on calls. Not every time and only when holding it as a regular phone in certain situations. Not when using speakerphone or BT. Best explanation I've found is it's suspected to be an issue with the multiple mics and noise cancellation functionality as to which mic gets priority or cancelled out. Is that HW or SW? Not sure because Apple says nothing and all the Genii do is offer to swap it out or blame my carrier. 
    • For the XS and Max, there are well documented comments about poor WiFi and RF performance. The best read is here. Bottom line, after 10 years of production, baseline capabilities such as good RF, high quality voice calls and fast WiFi should not still be issues. 
    • My 2012 rMBP; two LG screens replaced due to ghosting and Staingate. It wasn't until I insisted on a Samsung panel that the problems went away. The average user wouldn't know to ask for that. After 2 years the logic board died. Apple replaced it for free. I had graphics gremlins throughout my ownership but in the end, I still loved the laptop. 
    • 2016 tbMBP, the battery quit charging after 6 mos. Entire top case (battery, keyboard, logic board) - all replaced. Now on the new parts, I get at least a 1x day freeze when waking from sleep. This was a wiped laptop when I got it back from Apple. No restore from Time Machine or anything. Last week I did a clean install for 10.14 and the problem is still there. Boot times have gone way up since getting the machine back. Only other clue I can find online is possible APFS / File Vault issue. Again, take it to Apple and all the HW passes diagnostics. 

I am tech savvy enough to get around all this but they are nagging, annoying issues. If I pay a premium, I *do* expect some level of perfection. Wouldn't you be upset if your BMW had trim rattles and motor issues regularly? Apple today feels focused on luxury and lifestyle. They put themselves on that pedestal. Why is DED compelled to defend them, throw stones and say everyone else's attempts are inferior the way he does?

Firstly, no one cares about your personal anecdotes because anecdotes are neither empirical, nor factual.  The simple fact is that there is no mass recall of the iPhone X due to wireless/LTE antenna issues.  Some allegations have been sporadically made but Apple hasn't admitted any official issues and there haven't been any conclusive studies or technical findings to support your allegations that there's a defect.  My statement of having, thus far, perfect call quality isn't to assert that my anecdote is more valid than yours but to, instead, underscore that opinions mean less than nothing on an anonymous forum.

Yes, you could do a Google search and find numerous complaints of "iPhone X dropped calls".  That proves nothing.  If you promptly did a search for "iPhone 6 dropped calls", "Galaxy S9 dropped calls", "Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 dropped calls" or "One Plus 5 dropped calls", you'd also receive a torrential rain of complaints as well.  So unless all phones are capable of dropped calls (they all are) or they all just stink at reception (highly unlikely), your anecdotes are hardly more than FUD.  Finally, addressing this topic, you will likely find more complaints about the iPhone X on the Apple forums, on technical web sites and the like.  That doesn't conclusively prove that the network isn't at fault since you haven't conducted a study.  Besides, the iPhone X easily outsells the Mi Mix, OnePlus and S9...combined, so obviously more complaints would transpire.  But we both know you don't have data on the percentage of defective phones and therefore, you're simply producing FUD, on an Apple forum no less.

Secondly, you're complaining about your 2012 MBP monitor demonstrating issues.  6+ year old laptops are bound to have issues.  My 8 year old 2010 MBP has no issues.  However my old HP laptop had tons of issues.  Anecdotes are wonderful.

Thirdly, there is no such thing as perfection.  Some computers/phones/cars will be lemons.  They're assembled in imperfect environments, by imperfect machines/processes designed by imperfect people.  Despite your cavalcade of highly convenient hardware issues, Apple has scored top scores again and again and again from numerous sources like Consumer Reports, JD Power and the like for their immense durability and reliability.  Obviously many people are not experiencing your difficulties.

Apple produces quality computers which is why they still use PCPC and Corsair power supplies while many other OeMs use off-brand or no-name alternatives.  Many of their systems utilize base-system Intel motherboards, quality LG monitors and the like.  They avoid cheap materials and utilize name-brand components more often than their competitors.  The fact is that Microsoft has no such compunctions.  They saddled the Studio 2 with a laptop CPU and no one, including yourself, is calling them on it.  That is the point of the article.  This isn't Ars Technica.  Anti-Apple FUD doesn't get traction here.

Oh and as an aside, Mr. Elitist, how much of a long-time supporter are you?

• Reply 60 of 62
    tedp88 said:

Your anecdotes non-withstanding, there is no credible, empirical evidence that demonstrates that a significant percentage of users are experiencing wireless connectivity issues with their iPhone X.  I, indicated my own experiences, not to invalidate yours but to underscore that everyone can post baseless "experiences" on an anonymous forum.  That said, a quick Google search produces hits on "dropped iPhone X" calls.  That in itself might mean something except you also get hits for "dropped iPhone 6 calls", "dropped Galaxy S9 calls", "dropped OnePlus 5 calls" and "dropped Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 calls". 

So unless all phones are worthless lumps of plastic and circuits, one can conclude that imperfect devices, designed and built by imperfect people, in imperfect processes are bound to produce occasional lemons.  An argument that more numerous iPhone X call drops proves a higher incidence of failure is also erroneous because iPhone X outsells the S9, OnePlus 5 and Mi Mix 2...combined.  So unless you can produce detailed proportional data, (which we know you can't), demonstrating a higher incidence of failure amongst iPhone X... yeah... FUD.

To date, Apple still uses Intel-base motherboards and PCPC/Corsair power supplies.  Their computers are remarkably well-made and they shun cheap materials and methods.  Their computers are celebrated in Consumer Reports, JD Power and numerous other technical review websites.  No one cares what you "expect".  And this isn't about your suspiciously constant cavalcade of technical problems concerning Apple products.  This thread is about the Studio 2's woeful demonstration against 1.5 year old Apple hardware (the 27" iMac).