Apple highlights iPad Pro's USB-C connectivity to an external 4K or 5K display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

DryadGirl said:
    Anyone know what external display she is using this that pic?
    That is the LG Ultrafine 5K. However, it would be running in 4K, as with a USB 3.1 type C connection, resolution is limited to the lower res. 5K is possible with a DisplayPort 1.3 display.
    I’m not that familiar with that display, though I was considering it at one point. I understand that DP 1.3 has been slow in coming, and little equipment has it still. Apple does say that it supports 4K output though. I don’t see a mention of 5K, though it says that these displays can be used. It must also have 1.2 out;it.

also, strangely, while Apple had been supporting flac recently, it’s not in the spec for these new models. Very odd, and disappointing. I know people who would only buy an Apple product if it supported flac natively.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    melgross said:

DryadGirl said:
    That is the LG Ultrafine 5K. However, it would be running in 4K, as with a USB 3.1 type C connection, resolution is limited to the lower res. 5K is possible with a DisplayPort 1.3 display.
    I’m not that familiar with that display, though I was considering it at one point. I understand that DP 1.3 has been slow in coming, and little equipment has it still. Apple does say that it supports 4K output though. I don’t see a mention of 5K, though it says that these displays can be used. It must also have 1.2 out;it.

also, strangely, while Apple had been supporting flac recently, it’s not in the spec for these new models. Very odd, and disappointing. I know people who would only buy an Apple product if it supported flac natively.
    Apple said 5K twice during the iPad Pro reveal.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Would it be possible with USB-C Alternate Mode to connect the iPad Pro to a large monitor and an audio interface at the same time for streaming multichannel audio in and out?

Actually my goal is to find a 34” to 40” or so touchscreen display and use it like a mixing board for Cubasis or GarageBand, while still being able to record and playback 49k/24-bit audio simultaneously through USB-C. That would be quite interesting. 

I thought it would take Thunderbolt to do this but apparently the whole point of Alternate Mose is to stream multiple fornats at the same time. 

If anyone can can positively confirm or deny this as a yes or no I would be forever greatfull.

Regards, 
    Steve Steele
  • Reply 24 of 25

DryadGirl said:
    I’m not that familiar with that display, though I was considering it at one point. I understand that DP 1.3 has been slow in coming, and little equipment has it still. 
  • Reply 25 of 25
    melgross said:

DryadGirl said:

Apple said 5K twice during the iPad Pro reveal.
    I know that it supports 5k monitors. But if you look at the tech specs on the iPad Pro page, it specifically states 4K resolution. So it’s very possible that a 5k monitor will interpolate 4K output to the 5k monitor space, as my iPad brings 2k video to the 2732 x 2048 display.

dirsctly from the Apple iPad Pro (new) spec page:

• Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 4K through USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter (adapters sold separately)
    edited November 2018