Apple boycott by Chinese firms supporting Huawei is escalating

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149

tmay said:
    OMG, is Foxconn telling its employees not to buy Apple products?  Don't their jobs depend on it?

The Chinese  are hurting themselves.
    Foxconn is Taiwanese.

Except that when its factory is located in China, they would have to follow Chinese laws (and "recommendations" from the Chinese gov-t as well)
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamcornchip
  • Reply 22 of 149

avon b7 said:

The Five Eyes already has a lot Huawei gear. Nothing surprising in that. What is new is the US desperately trying to stop Huawei progress for technological and political reasons under the guise of security and doing so, so late in the day that the UK roll out of 5G could be put back by a year and cost a lot more. All without a shred of evidence.
    There is nothing technological in their progress, other then how they steal IP. Huawei is simply one of the arms of the Chinese gov-t, when it comes to spying. And given the fact that they sold whole bunch of cheap routers to many country, they might have quite a reach. Having a compromised set of routers might just provide that backdoor the Chinese military need to "downloan" all the info in your company's network, without you even knowing/noticing it. Given the scope of IP theft that has been done by China, you don't really have a lot to defend Huawei (Chinise gov-t) with. Sorry. Benefit of the doubt does not work in this case, as we already know 1) what China is capable of 2) Chinese gov-t is going to a great length in defending Huawei. In fact, they even think Apple is guilty of the same as  Huawei is...hence their recent actions in regards to "discouraging" people from buying Apple products. I bet, that "recommendation" came directly from the govt.. That tells everything you need to know about the extent of their involvement and all the whys.
    StrangeDayselijahgracerhomie3magman1979watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 23 of 149
    sirozha said:
    Remember "Freedom Fries"? It will too blow over. 
    I do. And it might. But there are some fundamental differences. France as a sovereign state is not stealing our intellectual property, hacking our companies, detaining our citizens out of spite, trying to annex other countries, putting their citizens into mass enslavement camps, selling telecommunications infrastructure that may allow them to spy on all data that passes through the equipment, forcing our companies to give them access to all data, expanding their military and threatening destabilizing actions like China is in the South China Sea and forcing their citizens to “Buy French”.These are very different to a short term political spat over Iraq. 
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 24 of 149
    tmay said:
    I am beginning to wish that Apple never bothered with this market. In a way, I envy Google and Facebook, which are effectively barred from competing in China.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/technology/china-google-censored-search-engine.html

Google isn't barred, it just has to play by the Chinese Governments rules. Same for Facebook.
    Wow. A difference without a distinction.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    watto_cobralarrya
  • Reply 25 of 149
    sirozha said:
    Remember "Freedom Fries"? It will too blow over. 
    Soon, we'll all be playing Freedom Checkers and kids will be doing Freedom Fire Drills.
    edited December 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 149
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    I'm sure that Chinese Companies and individuals will see their social scores increase by participating in these boycotts.

The Five Eyes are aligned against Chinese Telecom equipment, and as they should be. There's no odds in a telecom infrastructure from an authoritarian government known for IP theft.

If Apple gets beaten up in China, then I'm  guessing that China will no longer be the supply chain for Apple Products.
    http://time.com/5483682/huawei-security-risks-demand-proof/

The Five Eyes already has a lot Huawei gear. Nothing surprising in that. What is new is the US desperately trying to stop Huawei progress for technological and political reasons under the guise of security and doing so, so late in the day that the UK roll out of 5G could be put back by a year and cost a lot more. All without a shred of evidence.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12176731
    Prove it. Prove the US intelligence agencies, no friend to Trump’s admin, are lying. The same agencies we take at their word when it comes to Russian election interference. Why do we believe them about Russia, but shouldn’t about China? Be specific. 

All I see is your desperate need to believe.
    baconstangbulk001ericthehalfbeemacseekerelijahgwatto_cobraradarthekatcornchip
  • Reply 27 of 149

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    I'm sure that Chinese Companies and individuals will see their social scores increase by participating in these boycotts.

The Five Eyes are aligned against Chinese Telecom equipment, and as they should be. There's no odds in a telecom infrastructure from an authoritarian government known for IP theft.

If Apple gets beaten up in China, then I'm  guessing that China will no longer be the supply chain for Apple Products.

I'm not seeing the need for proof, no more than China would  by banning / eliminating U.S.telecom equipment. Were you aware that Huawei is providing AI hardware to the Chinese Government for upgrading its already intrusive network spying on its own citizens? 

China has an authoritarian government, President for Life, and China is adamant about seizing the South China Sea per it's claims, which bodes ill for international trade. Given the rampant IP theft, and Chinese Hacking, I'm not seeing why democracies would risk using Huawei infrastructure.

Great Britain is in the process of reevaluating Huawei equipment; the rest, including the U.S., have little in the way of Huawei equipment in place, and most of that will be removed or replaced.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/australia-no-longer-isolated-as-five-eyes-turn-on-huawei-20181206-p50kk1.html

"In Australia, experts are also concerned about cyber-security attacks against our institutions and businesses emanating from China.

For example, consider recent reports in this newspaper that China’s peak security agency directed a surge in cyber attacks on Australian companies over the past year; and that internet traffic heading for Australia was diverted to China for a six-day period.

There's no suggestion Huawei is in anyway involved in these attacks. But the government's decision to ban it from Australia's 5G networks was certainly based on concerns about China.

"A long history of cyber incidents shows cyber actors target Australia and Australians," Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Mitch Fifield said in their joint statement back in August without directly mentioning China.

"The government considers that the involvement of vendors who are likely to be subject to
    extrajudicial directions from a foreign government that conflict with Australian law, may risk
    failure by the carrier to adequately protect a 5G network from unauthorised access or
    interference."

In other words, the government was concerned that even if Huawei wasn't directly controlled by the Chinese government (the vendor has always denied that it is), under the country's laws it wouldn't be able to resist any demands made on it by Beijing."

Huawei is not China. 
    That’s not what US congressmen say, who have been briefed. One went on the BBC and said your knockoff brand is controlled by China. 
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 28 of 149
    tmay said:
    I am beginning to wish that Apple never bothered with this market. In a way, I envy Google and Facebook, which are effectively barred from competing in China.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/technology/china-google-censored-search-engine.html

Google isn't barred, it just has to play by the Chinese Governments rules. Same for Facebook.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Of course there’s a distinction. Google isn't barred from doing business in China, they have thus far chosen not to. But that may be changing as they’ve been toying with a search app for China. 

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2018/08/17/google-search-china
    edited December 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 149
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,701member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

I'm not seeing the need for proof, no more than China would  by banning / eliminating U.S.telecom equipment. Were you aware that Huawei is providing AI hardware to the Chinese Government for upgrading its already intrusive network spying on its own citizens? 

China has an authoritarian government, President for Life, and China is adamant about seizing the South China Sea per it's claims, which bodes ill for international trade. Given the rampant IP theft, and Chinese Hacking, I'm not seeing why democracies would risk using Huawei infrastructure.

Great Britain is in the process of reevaluating Huawei equipment; the rest, including the U.S., have little in the way of Huawei equipment in place, and most of that will be removed or replaced.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/australia-no-longer-isolated-as-five-eyes-turn-on-huawei-20181206-p50kk1.html

"In Australia, experts are also concerned about cyber-security attacks against our institutions and businesses emanating from China.

For example, consider recent reports in this newspaper that China’s peak security agency directed a surge in cyber attacks on Australian companies over the past year; and that internet traffic heading for Australia was diverted to China for a six-day period.

There's no suggestion Huawei is in anyway involved in these attacks. But the government's decision to ban it from Australia's 5G networks was certainly based on concerns about China.

"A long history of cyber incidents shows cyber actors target Australia and Australians," Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Mitch Fifield said in their joint statement back in August without directly mentioning China.

"The government considers that the involvement of vendors who are likely to be subject to
    extrajudicial directions from a foreign government that conflict with Australian law, may risk
    failure by the carrier to adequately protect a 5G network from unauthorised access or
    interference."

In other words, the government was concerned that even if Huawei wasn't directly controlled by the Chinese government (the vendor has always denied that it is), under the country's laws it wouldn't be able to resist any demands made on it by Beijing."

Huawei is not China. 
    "In other words, the government was concerned that even if Huawei wasn't directly controlled by the Chinese government (the vendor has always denied that it is), under the country's laws it wouldn't be able to resist any demands made on it by Beijing."

Fixed.
    Nope. Huawei has denied this. Not directly or indirectly. Huawei says it complies with all the laws in force in the countries where it operates and data is stored for example, in the EU, on servers within the EU.

One thing is China another is the rest of the world. When in China, do as the Chinese does. Comply with the law - just like Apple does.
    propod
  • Reply 30 of 149
    sirozha said:
    On a related note, I never saw this bit of news reported.

One of the two homes that are owned by Wanzhou and/or her husband here in Vancouver was the site of a home invasion during the time she was waiting for her bail hearing. The intruders left when someone confronted them, but the timing is awfully suspicious.
    Possibly. But Vancouver is also a high crime rate city.
    Based on what information are you saying that Vancouver is a high crime rate city? Seriously? Are you pulling this out of your rear end? 
    Maybe he got it from the free and independent Chinese press? 😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 149
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

interference."

Huawei is not China. 
    "In other words, the government was concerned that even if Huawei wasn't directly controlled by the Chinese government (the vendor has always denied that it is), under the country's laws it wouldn't be able to resist any demands made on it by Beijing."

Fixed.
    Nope. Huawei has denied this. Not directly or indirectly. Huawei says it complies with all the laws in force in the countries where it operates and data is stored for example, in the EU, on servers within the EU.

One thing is China another is the rest of the world. When in China, do as the Chinese does. Comply with the law - just like Apple does.
    Not directly or indirectly? If the Chinese gov-t tells you to do something, YOU DO, if you live in China.
    But how does it "denied" anything that was said here? You literally have just confirmed that yourself, while disagreeing with the conclusions of "China says, you do" approach. This makes no sense... We know that China spies a lot. We know that some congressmen were briefed on the extent of the problem and that is case that they are trying to conduct not just routine spying but rather, they are trying to infiltrate as many networks as possible to get IP. Guess, how would you do that, if you have companies in China manufacturing NETWORK equipment? SMH

Of course Huawei will deny it. What else can they do - say, yes, we altered all our equipment to accommodate wide-spread network info scooping  the Chinese government is trying to do? Now, please, keep buying out stuff.
    What are you smoking?
    edited December 2018 tbornotStrangeDaystmayericthehalfbeeelijahgwatto_cobrayojimbo007cornchip
  • Reply 32 of 149
    As to the home invasion-

I can’t speak to that one specifically, but in general when people die or go to jail criminals will take advantage of their absence and burgle their homes. Some even do it during a funeral when everyone won’t be home for a while. So perhaps that is what happened? 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 149
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tmay said:

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Of course there’s a distinction. Google is barred from doing business in China, they have thus far chosen not to. But that may be changing as they’ve been toying with a search app for China. 

Not anymore. Project Dragonfly didn't pass muster with Google's Privacy team (yes they have one). So no current plans for nor further development of a Google Search product in China
    edited December 2018 muthuk_vanalingammac_128fotoformat
  • Reply 34 of 149
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Of course there’s a distinction. Google is barred from doing business in China, they have thus far chosen not to. But that may be changing as they’ve been toying with a search app for China. 

Not anymore. Project Dragonfly didn't pass muster with Google's Privacy team (yes they have one). So no current plans for nor further development of a Google Search product in China
    As I said, they are not barred from doing so, which was the distinction being made. As for choosing to do so, I said that "may" be changing and they've been "toying" with such a thing. There was a lot of push back, including from staff. But that doesn't mean they're barred or may not revisit. 

Good one about the Privacy Team! Too bad they were sleeping on the job during the recent too-generous-API-access stories.
    edited December 2018 tmaywatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 35 of 149
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

Thanks, but no thanks.

As I said, they are not barred from doing so, which was the distinction being made. As for choosing to do so, I said that "may" be changing and they've been "toying" with such a thing. There was a lot of push back, including from staff. But that doesn't mean they're barred or may not revisit. 

Good one about the Privacy Team! Too bad they were sleeping on the job during the recent too-generous-API-access stories.
    100% agree.

No idea tho who in Google discovered the issues with Google+ so it could have been within the Privacy Team. 
    edited December 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 149
    Personally, the faster Apple withdraws all manufacturing from China, and maybe even deliberately halts all sales, the better this will be! If Apple withdraws, and takes all their manufacturing jobs with them, let's see how long China will take to start begging them to come back!
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

interference."

Huawei is not China. 
    Correction, they are FROM China, and as per Chinese law, as Tmay stated, they CANNOT refuse ANY order from the government, hence they're an integral part of the PRC government. Not to mention Huawei is a bunch of IP thieves, so their reputation is just as bad as most Chinese tech firms already.
    Actually, laws are the least of things on a practical level. The US has already pressured AT&T and Verizon to pull out of commercial deals with Huawei. Who needs laws when you can leverage other options.

Let's not even get into what Snowden revealed about US activities on just about every friend or foe out there - including Huawei.

AT&T was seen to be particularly eager to help out with government whenever the option arose.

We need to be realistic. No one will stop the Chinese, Russians or Americans and others accessing parts of communications infrastructure.

This isn't about 'security', it's about commerce. Huawei is out in front and was delivering the goods. The tech power balance was shifting and the US dropped the ball on 5G. Now, with the tariffs and whatnot, competitors are accelerating plans to depend on themselves. Not just the Chinese but the EU too.
    elijahgpropod
  • Reply 37 of 149
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    Done some work with Huawei previously. I never saw a Huawei employee who didn’t get their “free” or massively discounted Huawei phone, sell it/them off and buy an Apple iPhone. Even the Huawei executives I met had iPhones!
    tokyojimuSpamSandwichwatto_cobraradarthekatcornchip
  • Reply 38 of 149
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

interference."

Huawei is not China. 

Fixed.

Not directly or indirectly? If the Chinese gov-t tells you to do something, YOU DO, if you live in China.
    But how does it "denied" anything that was said here? You literally have just confirmed that yourself, while disagreeing with the conclusions of "China says, you do" approach. This makes no sense... We know that China spies a lot. We know that some congressmen were briefed on the extent of the problem and that is case that they are trying to conduct not just routine spying but rather, they are trying to infiltrate as many networks as possible to get IP. Guess, how would you do that, if you have companies in China manufacturing NETWORK equipment? SMH

Of course Huawei will deny it. What else can they do - say, yes, we altered all our equipment to accommodate wide-spread network info scooping  the Chinese government is trying to do? Now, please, keep buying out stuff.
    What are you smoking?
    In China.

Huawei claims out of China, things are different.

As for doing what you are told, forget laws. When governments want something they will do what they can to get it. Often in spite of laws. Especially if they think they can get away with it. Just about ANY government. Some may be considered worse than others but that is often a question of which side of the fence you are on.

No government is immune to this.

As for denying. Why not? Isn't the onus on someone backing up their claims with evidence first?
    edited December 2018 muthuk_vanalingampropod
  • Reply 39 of 149
    tellmemoretellmemore Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    this is all the product of american corporate greed. they steal our IP and we do NOTHING because we want make stuff as cheap as possible. we give them our IP just so we can sell to them. we gladly take their money to educate their children in our universities. their goal is to beat us at everything we do best. and what they can't beat us at, they'll steal it. and WE DO NOTHING. 
    elijahgyojimbo007cornchip
  • Reply 40 of 149
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:

Thanks, but no thanks.

Considering how much effort Sundar Pichai put into Project Dragonfly, I'm not surprised by this story;

https://www.businessinsider.com/google-tactics-prevent-internal-employees-learning-about-dragonfly-2018-11

Still, employees did find out, to their credit.
    watto_cobraanton zuykov