TCL, LG under pressure from customers about AirPlay 2 compatibility

Posted:
in iPhone
With the news that Apple's AirPlay 2 is coming to several major TV brands, some people have begun pressuring more companies to support the technology, or for those that are onboard to update older sets.

TCL Roku TV

TCL is "currently committed to Roku," according one spokesperson. A key feature of its TVs is the integration of Roku OS, one of the most popular streaming platforms. It has access to hundreds of apps, and on TVs treats built-in inputs the same way, for instance making it easy to switch between Netflix, a cable box, and a game console. Mobile apps with Google Cast support can push audio and video to Roku devices.

Neither TCL nor Roku have explicitly denied the possibility of adding AirPlay. Roku simply doesn't "have anything to share regarding this now," a spokesperson told MacRumors.

An online petition is meanwhile calling on LG to bring AirPlay 2 to OLED sets going as far back as 2016. Apple's official roster of AirPlay 2 TVs mentions only LG's 2019 OLED, UHD UM7X, and NanoCell SM8X and SM9X models.

That contrasts with Samsung, which is backing both 2018 and 2019 TVs, and Vizio, which is updating sets reaching back to 2017. Sony is joining LG in restricting compatibility to 2019 hardware.

Samsung's compatible hardware is all based on Tizen. Visio's televisions have Android operating systems, and WebOS devices are also theoretically compatible in software. A possible limitation is the system-on-a-chip that is in older gear -- or it may just be a corporate decision to force users to buy a new television if they want the Apple compatibility.

AirPlay 2 will let people with Apple products push photos, video, and audio to TVs, including through Siri commands like "Play 'Blade Runner 2049' in the Living Room." In most cases it also means HomeKit integration for purposes like automation, and controlling some TV functions through the Apple Home app. Samsung TVs appear to be missing HomeKit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

DAMN!

Apple licenses AirPlay to a few companies and it causes a storm!!

Airplay is the new MUST HAVE feature. Time to capitalize on this.

racerhomie3
  • Reply 2 of 32
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

DAMN!

Apple licenses AirPlay to a few companies and it causes a storm!!

Airplay is the new MUST HAVE feature. Time to capitalize on this.

A few people is not a storm just like a few people having some issues with the iPhone isn’t reason to have a recall. 
    aaronsullivanseafoxhagar
  • Reply 3 of 32
    AirPlay is a competitive advantage for Samsung TV over LG.

Tizen is a negative.  LG’s WebOS is a positive.

Visio having AirPlay is compelling.

I didn’t know about the TCL/Roku.  That’s an interesting option at the lower end, and would probably make a good bedroom TV.

• Reply 4 of 32
    Will Homepods connect directly to Airplay 2 enabled tv's, so that I can use Homepods as surround sound speakers for the tv?  You can do it currently using Apple TV as an intermediate step but there's a noticeable lag on audio.  Will this fix that?
    gutengel
  • Reply 5 of 32

I didn’t know about the TCL/Roku.  That’s an interesting option at the lower end, and would probably make a good bedroom TV.

I have two TCL TVs. One is 4K the other is 1080p. Both are really nice for the price and the Roku software works great. I hope the can work something out with Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

TCL is only "budget" in price. Their TVs are ahead of the game supporting Dolby Vision. A beauty for Apple TV.

Roku is a nightmare though!!!

• Reply 7 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    joebloggs said:
    Will Homepods connect directly to Airplay 2 enabled tv's, so that I can use Homepods as surround sound speakers for the tv?  You can do it currently using Apple TV as an intermediate step but there's a noticeable lag on audio.  Will this fix that?
    I experience no lag on my HP used as the primary output on my ATV. 
  • Reply 8 of 32
    joebloggs said:
    I have no lag if playing the content from the Apple TV; but at least a second's lag if playing cable TV content and using the Apple TV just as an audio connection to Homepod.
  • Reply 9 of 32

If you have an Apple TV, AirPlay on Samsung isn't an advantage over LG for me. Personally, I chose LG OLED's over Samsung due to Dolby Vision support. 
    Dave Kap
  • Reply 10 of 32

If you have an Apple TV, AirPlay on Samsung isn't an advantage over LG for me. Personally, I chose LG OLED's over Samsung due to Dolby Vision support. 
    I tried the Samsung QLED and returned it. I then got the LG C7 OLED. An incredible TV. Ps, my 10 year old Samsung Plasma is great TV
  • Reply 11 of 32
    joebloggs said:
    I have the problem that when I Airplay from my ATV4K to my Airport Express works perfectly, but when I try Airplaying from my iPhone to the ATV the connection to Airport drops and the ATV connects to the mail audio or BT speaker. Super annoying, I haven't found a solution for that except hard-wiring the speakers to the ATV...
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 12 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

TCL is only "budget" in price. Their TVs are ahead of the game supporting Dolby Vision. A beauty for Apple TV.

TCL are also the only maker who disable the 'soap opera effect' by default and display movies with the appropriate motion. I doubt I'd buy one of their TVs though, as I know nothing else about the company.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I remember one year at Christmas when suddenly 50% of all stereo receivers sold in the local electronics store said "iPod compatible". Then the very next year I went back into the store and 100% of them said "iPod compatible". As far as I know that meant they could play iPod music by plugging an iPod into its USB port. The point is that the wave of Apple compatibility hit big, hard and fast. Over the last few years we've seen something similar with "CarPlay (& Android) compatible" but it didn't happen quite as fast. Now it seems to be happening with "Airplay compatible" TVs. As far as I know Airplay is just a small fraction of the Apple TV functionality so I don't think Apple is giving away very much here.
    radarthekathagar
  • Reply 14 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    joebloggs said:
    joebloggs said:
    I have no lag if playing the content from the Apple TV; but at least a second's lag if playing cable TV content and using the Apple TV just as an audio connection to Homepod.

The way Apple devices handle wireless lag is by buffering the video to compensate for whatever audio device is connected to it. When you connect the device to the TV instead of the ATV, then tvOS only knows to synchronize with the TV, and isn’t aware of the wireless device attached to the TV. The only way to avoid lag then is to connect directly to the Apple device. Apple doesn’t have a low latency protocol, like aptX, which your TV doesn’t likely have either. I solve this issue by plugging an aptX LL transmitter into my TV headphone jack, then plug my wired headphones into an aptX LL receiver. No lag. There are headphones that support aptX LL as well, but none of Apples do. Nor does your TV.

Sony uses Android TV OS, which I view as a negative. AirPlay would be a definite positive, but Sony will not likely make it available on recent TVs, especially if they have to pay a license fee to do it. They also tend to withhold features they could update older sets with if it makes a currently selling, or more expensive TV more desirable.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 15 of 32
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    For the TCL Roku TVs, wouldn't this just be down to Apple writing an app for Roku? 
  • Reply 17 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Well perhaps a better strategy regarding the pricing of Apple TV with it’s lesser feature set and limited Voice assistant would’ve been a more profitable long term strategy that would not have required this last minute crap ass app strategy. 

It should have cost 80$ - then everyone with an iPhone would own them. Not just old people and fanboys. 

They do dumb things. 

Everything they sell sell costs too much for thier primary market and they can rationalize the price with fancy recycling or whatever new bullshit Tim is selling but every other competitor is cheaper and more plentiful and the market they’ve created will not support the pricing and 30% margins they’d prefer. Their design, iOS and its security (a marketing ploy at best) is no longer special or unique. 

I don’t say that because I can’t afford thier products - I say that as it’s become clear the American people don’t make enough money on average to be giving Apple well over a 1000$ a year. 

No should be taking out a loan or a lease to buy a phone or a computer. We lived without them just fine - the entire mess is optional. 

Its a stupid strategy. Great for investors perhaps until the iPhone becomes a Mercedes and Chevy despite its flaws is what people MUST buy. 

Apple sells a lot of kit at prices you think people won’t pay.  
  • Reply 18 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

I just read an article that suggests TLC and Vizio manage to change so little for their TVs because they collect and sell every piece of data they can from a customers use of them. 

My Sony is definitely not a budget TV, but even it has an BG app called Samba which evendently reports to Sony everything I do and watch with my TV. I only found this out while seeking to disable it because it slowed down my UI. It was also brought to my attention that in the EULA, I was agreeing to give away a ton of user data by enabling auto software updates. I believe TLC is a Chinese company as well.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    mac_128 said:

I just read an article that suggests TLC and Vizio manage to change so little for their TVs because they collect and sell every piece of data they can from a customers use of them. 

My Sony is definitely not a budget TV, but even it has an BG app called Samba which evendently reports to Sony everything I do and watch with my TV. I only found this out while seeking to disable it because it slowed down my UI. It was also brought to my attention that in the EULA, I was agreeing to give away a ton of user data by enabling auto software updates. I believe TLC is a Chinese company as well.
    If TCL wants to give away what I watch on Netflix and Food Network go ahead, my video habits are quite boring. Getting a 50” 4K HDR TV for a decent price is worth it.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    mac_128 said:

I have a TCL 4k and you are correct that if you don't change the defaults then usage data is funneling back. So like you should with just about every electronic device nowadays (even your iPhone for that matter) simply change the defaults. It's not hard. Do a bit of research on what and where, and ignore the way controls are sometimes framed as "turning this off will end this valuable thing we're doing for you". Sometimes it is but more often than not you won't miss a thing.

My TCL isn't sending my personal information anywhere AFAICT. Leave the factory defaults as is and yes every company will use them to their advantage. Why wouldn't they? They aren't in it for the charity.
    https://www.imore.com/how-change-privacy-settings-apple-tv
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingam