Apple's 'There's More to iPhone' campaign highlights environmental and data protection fea...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tyler82 said:
    Doesn’t the Group FaceTime bug absolve apple of their claims to be “secure?” 
    This post is an example of Apple's dilemma:  Apple products are widely accepted as The Best.  But that is due to their software and ecosystem rather than their hardware (Except for the Apple Watch, their newest hardware is matched by their competitors as soon as it is released)..

But, as soon as they promote their software and ecosystem they get a nut case spouting about some minor exception and trying to use that exception to prove a generalized case about Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    tjwolf said:
    tyler82 said:
    Doesn’t the Group FaceTime bug absolve apple of their claims to be “secure?” 
    Use of the word "absolve" doesn't make sense in this context.  Besides - and I didn't think anybody needed to have this explained to them: all software has bugs.  What separates good software companies from bad ones is the speed with which they fix things and make those fixes available to their software customers.  In case of iOS/Apple versus Android/Google, it's not even close.  When Apple fixes a bug in iOS, everyone with a phone < 5 years old immediately has that fix available to them.  On the Android side, most devices aren't even supported for more than a couple years, much less get urgent updates right away.
    Another good reason to stick with the company who supplies the OS. In the case of Android that would be Google and its Pixels. 
    Even some of Google's Pixel flagships received a short lifespan of supported updates. It was just a couple years as I recall...very weak compared to iPhone supported versions.
    Which Pixel phones would that be? Mine is the original Pixel phone and still being supported with OS and security updates. It even gets backward support for many (most?) of the features from the very latest Pixel 3 models released just months ago, things like Night Sight for instance. I'm good with it. 
    https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705

2 years of guaranteed Android updates from first availability.  Maybe more after that, but not guaranteed.  
    3 years of guaranteed security updates from first availability.  Maybe more after that, but not guaranteed.

I can't find any stated guarantee for iPhone updates, but since the 3GS there's never been less than 3 years of x.0 updates (and more of x.x updates)

If Google haven't yet stopped updating the Pixel then I'd say they appear to be roughly on a par.
    avon b7