New FAA rules banning fully charged lithium-ion batteries as cargo won't stop you from usi...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    2Don said:
    "LiO2" - O2 is oxygen. It can only be a solid, liquid or gas - which is it? If a case of lithium batteries are shipped - what is the voltage per cell if they are "30%"? Is the "30%" rule amps, volts, watts or the usable voltage before charging is needed? How is the "30%" determined and what device does FAA use to check them? If they are at "30%" - what is the voltage?
    This bolded section is basic chemistry. High-school level. Look it up. In short, oxygen gas (O2) isn't the same as an oxygen ion [O (-2)].

Source: was a nuclear reactor chemist, and have a physical chemistry degree.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 22 of 24
    2Don2Don Posts: 7member
    I just thought you might know the matrix formula for lithium batteries. I still cannot find anyone who can explain the "30%" rule - not even a "nuclear chemist".
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    2Don said:
    I just thought you might know the matrix formula for lithium batteries. I still cannot find anyone who can explain the "30%" rule - not even a "nuclear chemist".
    That's really up to the FAA, I'm afraid, and they aren't talking.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 24 of 24
    2Don2Don Posts: 7member