Apple hunts for program manager to help respond to Siri criticisms

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    ihatescreennames said:
    [...] Any chance it has anything to do with the position/placement of your phone?
    That's certainly possible. Unfortunately I don't have much choice where it mounts. A cluttered dashboard with round vent louvers mean the only place to put it is in front of the head unit, with a clip that slides into the CD slot. It's easy to see there, and the sound system doesn't work anyway, so that actually works out pretty well.

What's interesting to me is that this phone performs so poorly in that position when the previous one worked pretty well. It surprises me that an iPhone 6 Plus was better at understanding me in a noisy car than an iPhone XS Max.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    CMCM Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Get Siri to respond would be the first thing to fix. Here’s my typical request: Hey siri; Hey siri, HEY SIRI, HEY ASSHOLE!
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 43 of 51
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    ihatescreennames said:
    [...] Any chance it has anything to do with the position/placement of your phone?
    That's certainly possible. Unfortunately I don't have much choice where it mounts. A cluttered dashboard with round vent louvers mean the only place to put it is in front of the head unit, with a clip that slides into the CD slot. It's easy to see there, and the sound system doesn't work anyway, so that actually works out pretty well.

What's interesting to me is that this phone performs so poorly in that position when the previous one worked pretty well. It surprises me that an iPhone 6 Plus was better at understanding me in a noisy car than an iPhone XS Max.
    So I guess you must be holding it wrong.  😁
  • Reply 44 of 51
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    Standing in downtown Vancouver I asked for walking directions to 1234 Whatever Street and got a map to somewhere 2500 miles away. It turns out the address I wanted was on Whatever Drive, not Whatever Street. The AI is apparently not I enough to figure out I probably want the close but not exact address or that a 2.5 kilomile walk seemed odd.
    That's a function of the new activity app that does a good job of pushing you into exercising more. Innovation!
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 45 of 51
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    JWSC said:
    ihatescreennames said:

So I guess you must be holding it wrong.  😁
    dsd said:
    Standing in downtown Vancouver I asked for walking directions to 1234 Whatever Street and got a map to somewhere 2500 miles away. It turns out the address I wanted was on Whatever Drive, not Whatever Street. The AI is apparently not I enough to figure out I probably want the close but not exact address or that a 2.5 kilomile walk seemed odd.
    That's a function of the new activity app that does a good job of pushing you into exercising more. Innovation!
    Maybe if I hold it like a barbell and use it to do curls I can solve both problems. Then again, using an iPhone 4 as a discus yielded no improvement. It made me feel better though, which is part of the reason for exercise. There's something very cathartic about taking a GPS device that can't figure out where it is, chucking it out a car window, and screaming "Tell me where you are NOW, mother****er!"
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Holy shit I can do this for free right now:

-Make siri be able to understand human words. I speak fluent 'Murican and siri gets me wrong all the time
    -Make siri less obnoxious. Stop with the incessant 'cleverness' and pointless pleasantries. Or at least give us an option after 6 years to turn down the (now repetitive and tedious) 'personality'
    -Let siri be able to perform more than one task at a time instead of: hey siri ____ (pause), hey siri ____ (pause), hey siri ____ (pause)...
    -Have siri understand basic language: I asked siri the definition of "mea culpa" in two different pronunciations and siri had no idea what it was and referred me to an internet search
    -Develop a siri visual interface that I can reference in real time if I need to (eg if music is playing on my homepod I don't want to stop the music to skip a track or find out what is playing)
    -Allow siri to do basic math: try asking siri "what is the diameter of a circle with a circumference of ___ meters"
    -Allow us to make edits to texts, reminders, etc. Impossible to do now.
    -Don't be so gd stupid: for example, if you say, "hey siri, call 12345... 67" you will be cut off if you pause to remember the full number, and siri will tell you, "sorry, 12345 is not a working number." Oh really siri? After 6+ years Apple can't bother to program siri to wait until a full number is recited?? Unbelievable.

These are just things that have happened recently. If I bothered to keep track over the past several months there'd be hundreds of problems related to basic functionality and common sense that I could list.
    edited March 2019 seantheman
  • Reply 47 of 51
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    buckkalu said:
    So on Saturday I was asking  stupid SIRI for directions.  I am in Toronto, it’s only the 4th largest city in North America.  So first street , dumbass gave me directions to somewhere in Mexico.  Second try at another street was a US option.  Real smooth.  It sucks!
    I get the same here in the UK. When asking Siri to take me to Canterbury, it decides not Canterbury in the UK, but Canterbury in New Zealand, and then says it can't get directions to there. Brilliant.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    DAalseth said:
    The hardest job though will be overcoming the meme of how bad Siri is. Siri has actually gotten a lot better over the last couple of years, but you wouldn't know it from what people say, the jokes they make, the screen shots that float around. Yes Siri could improve, but it isn't the embarrassment that it was at first. But to look at social media you'd think Apple hadn't spent a dime or a minute working on it in the last seven years. The hardest part will be changing the popular IMPRESSION of Siri. Unless that happens, Siri could be correct 100% of the time and to still wouldn't get any respect. It's happened before. On the Newton the handwriting recognition was lousy at first and that become the running jhoke. By the time the Newton was dropped though, it was actually quite good, far ahead of Palm or anyone else. But nobody remembers that. I fear Siri may have the same fate.
    Yeah but it really hasn't. It's still embarrassingly bad, especially when compared to the significantly superior competition. Maybe you're using some form of Siri 2.0 that we've all managed to miss?
  • Reply 49 of 51
    elijahg said:
    buckkalu said:
    So on Saturday I was asking  stupid SIRI for directions.  I am in Toronto, it’s only the 4th largest city in North America.  So first street , dumbass gave me directions to somewhere in Mexico.  Second try at another street was a US option.  Real smooth.  It sucks!
    I get the same here in the UK. When asking Siri to take me to Canterbury, it decides not Canterbury in the UK, but Canterbury in New Zealand, and then says it can't get directions to there. Brilliant.
    What happens when you open Maps and simply type in “Canterbury”?
  • Reply 50 of 51
    elijahg said:
    buckkalu said:
    It usually gets it right. But for shops I search for locally, even when zoomed to Canterbury it often zooms out to show about 200 miles and precedes to litter the map with pins. Other times it says no places found, but there are ones just out of view.
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 51 of 51
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    buckkalu said:
    It usually gets it right. But for shops I search for locally, even when zoomed to Canterbury it often zooms out to show about 200 miles and precedes to litter the map with pins. Other times it says no places found, but there are ones just out of view.
    Yup. "Siri, give me directions to the Home Depot in Burnaby." Siri gives me directions to a Home Depot in another city. "Give me directions to the Home Depot on Hennings Drive." Siri opens a map to yet another Home Depot in a different city. "Give me directions to the Home Depot nearest me." Siri opens a list of Home Depot locations, which isn't much help when I'm driving and can't interact with the screen. Besides, Siri should KNOW which one is closest.