Disney+ streaming service to offer entire Disney movie catalog, including 'Disney Vault' t...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    DIdn’t they used to call it “Vault Disney”? 

I’m curious if they’ll be streaming in 4K. My guess is yes but I don’t see that mentioned. I currently have Netflix and Hulu and so far don’t mind paying for both as we use them enough. Disney+ seems like a service I’ll subscribe to for a month here and there, just to get caught up on stuff, maybe. 

It also seems like it may be a tough sell, considering Disney will still be releasing the new stuff in theaters and I imagine still on traditional media that can be purchased or rented. If I can run down the street and get, say, Captain Marvel on Blu-ray from Redbox there isn’t a huge incentive for me to be paying a monthly fee to Disney to see it there.  Whereas with Netflix content there’s nowhere to see it but on Netflix.

Either way, this will be interesting.

Oh, and who thinks Disney+ will be showing Song of the South?
    I bet they keep Pochontas that had English jumping off a ship armored like Spanish Conquistadors equipped with pick-axes immediately digging for gold.
    I'm sure. Pocahontas airs all the time on the TV networks now.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    It's like they've been planning it for years with their purchase of Studio Ghibli, Marvel, Star Wars, Fox etc.

I wish Apple would acquire some studios.
    Pretty sure Studio Ghibli is still independent.  Disney just distributes.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MplsP said:
    But will they have Steamboat Willie in 4K?

thos will be great for anyone who has kids. I’m curious to see if this will be only ‘Disney’ titles or if it will include all their other studios like Pixar, etc. the fact that they mention Star Wars and Marvel titles makes me hopeful it will be more than straight Disney

ironically, this may be an example of  competition not being good for the consumer. If there are 40 different streaming services and each one keeps the ‘prime’ content for itself, you end up paying more for multiple services rather than being able to have one or two subscriptions that cover everything.    
    I think that's what it's coming to. You'll have a Netflix account for a particular original (ie Stranger Things, Mindhunter) or relatively recent movies, HBO for GoT and its follow-ups and originals, an Amazon one for some other original or two (ex Amazing Miss Maisel), a YouTubeTV or whatever generic streamer for your local and sports, an AppleTV one for their originals yet to be revealed and hey after-all it's Apple, maybe an NHL or NBA one too...

Don't be too shocked if we begin to realize 5 years from now that the old cable model was actually more consumer friendly and far less expensive. 
    Carnage
  • Reply 24 of 42
    It'll be interesting to watch this site's editorial direction become virulently anti-Disney now that they are an Apple competitor. Looking forward to the 50,000 word DED articles excoriating Disney in the future.
    Xaviercross1971gatorguySpamSandwich
  • Reply 25 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Apple's streaming service is DOA.  There's no way they compete with this.
    Maybe Apple should buy Disney. ;)
  • Reply 26 of 42
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Netflix is losing titles and usefulness every day. After Disney and Apple launches, the only card they will hold is their original programming. Not sure that's incentive to keep paying every month.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Latko said:
    If Disney & Apple aren’t collaborating, Cook should have removed the Iger character from the Apple Board. So probably Apple will offer a portal to this service.
    A CEO answers to the board of directors, not vice versa.
    Xaviercross1971gatorguy
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Latko said:
    If Disney & Apple aren’t collaborating, Cook should have removed the Iger character from the Apple Board. So probably Apple will offer a portal to this service.
    It doesn't work that way.  Iger is elected by shareholders not by Tim Cook
  • Reply 29 of 42
    MacPro said:
    Apple doesn't want to buy Disney.  Can you see them running Amusement parks, Crusie Lines, and Resorts?  Not to mention, several tv networks.  Streaming is a smart part of the Disney empire.  Apple like to have a limited offering, hence canceling routers.  Running Disney would be a big problem. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 30 of 42
    It has come full circle...

People went to streaming services because they were cheaper than cable, but then companies thought it was a good idea to come out with their own services...

Now we're paying more than cable for fewer content providers...

Cable costs $30 where I live, Netflix is $15, and not to mention others like Hulu, CBS All Access, the new Disney service...

We're cutting the cable cord and tying ourselves to the streaming cord so to speak...
  • Reply 31 of 42
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Appleish said:
    Netflix is losing titles and usefulness every day. After Disney and Apple launches, the only card they will hold is their original programming. Not sure that's incentive to keep paying every month.
    That depends on individual preferences and whether Netflix continues raising prices.

My primary motivation for getting Amazon Prime was The Grand Tour. I'd probably pay the annual fee just for that. There are a couple original shows on Netflix I like enough that I'm willing to pay for the service to get them. However, depending on how things go, I might do what another poster suggested and cancel my subscription between seasons and only activate it when there are new episodes.

I'd actually prefer to BUY the shows I really like on the iTunes Store, but so far the Netflix and Prime originals I want (like The GrandTour) are not available there. Maybe they never will be.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Hopefully they will stream 4K but I wouldn’t count on it. No 4K in Movies Anywhere which is also Disney. This is not a hard sell. As someone with 4 kids, do you know how often they rewatch movies? I can recite half of Disney’s movies line for line because kids gets obsessed with movies. Plus the Marvel & Star Wars universes are so well done they are always worth a revisit. There will be good amount of originals content too (like the Mandalorian & Tom Hiddleson’s Loki) and likely a back library of Disney cartoons (from the Saturday Morning cartoon series) and Disney shows like Hanna Montana, High School Musical, Kim Possible. I think you greatly underestimate their library of content and it’s appeal. 

And on Song of the South (and I’ve seen this asked a lot today) I think it’s zero chance. I wish they would. It’s  only Disney movie I don’t own on Blu-ray. I’ve searched eBay, garage sales, collectible stores, etc. Pretty sure I remember reading a few years ago where Disney said that movie would NEVER be re-released. 
    Movies Anywhere supports 4K and there are quite a few titles in there that are already 4K. However, I don't think there are many Disney movies that are 4K anywhere.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    supadav03 said:
    DIdn’t they used to call it “Vault Disney”? 

I’m curious if they’ll be streaming in 4K. My guess is yes but I don’t see that mentioned. I currently have Netflix and Hulu and so far don’t mind paying for both as we use them enough. Disney+ seems like a service I’ll subscribe to for a month here and there, just to get caught up on stuff, maybe. 

It also seems like it may be a tough sell, considering Disney will still be releasing the new stuff in theaters and I imagine still on traditional media that can be purchased or rented. If I can run down the street and get, say, Captain Marvel on Blu-ray from Redbox there isn’t a huge incentive for me to be paying a monthly fee to Disney to see it there.  Whereas with Netflix content there’s nowhere to see it but on Netflix.

Either way, this will be interesting.

Oh, and who thinks Disney+ will be showing Song of the South?
    Hopefully they will stream 4K but I wouldn’t count on it. No 4K in Movies Anywhere which is also Disney. This is not a hard sell. As someone with 4 kids, do you know how often they rewatch movies? I can recite half of Disney’s movies line for line because kids gets obsessed with movies. Plus the Marvel & Star Wars universes are so well done they are always worth a revisit. There will be good amount of originals content too (like the Mandalorian & Tom Hiddleson’s Loki) and likely a back library of Disney cartoons (from the Saturday Morning cartoon series) and Disney shows like Hanna Montana, High School Musical, Kim Possible. I think you greatly underestimate their library of content and it’s appeal. 

And on Song of the South (and I’ve seen this asked a lot today) I think it’s zero chance. I wish they would. It’s  only Disney movie I don’t own on Blu-ray. I’ve searched eBay, garage sales, collectible stores, etc. Pretty sure I remember reading a few years ago where Disney said that movie would NEVER be re-released. 
    Movies Anywhere supports 4K. There are literally hundreds of 4K movies through Movies Anywhere. The problem for iTunes users is Disney movies aren't in 4K. You can only get 4K Disney movies from Vudu. So if you ever buy a Disney blu ray, don't redeem it through iTunes. Redeem it through Vudu or Movies Anywhere so you get the 4K version on Vudu. If you redeem a Disney title through iTunes, you won't get the 4K version on Vudu. 
    edited March 2019
  • Reply 34 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    It's like they've been planning it for years with their purchase of Studio Ghibli, Marvel, Star Wars, Fox etc.

I wish Apple would acquire some studios.
    Why? Why does Apple have to get into the streaming game? Still haven't heard of a reason that is especially compelling to me as a customer. I don't care who I'm streaming from.
  • Reply 35 of 42

I don’t care about the “me too” Disney streaming, but it would be unfortunate if they pulled their content from Netflix, Amazon, Apple, etc.

There might be some legal issues if they attempt too... 
    No, there won't be any legal issue. Once the duration terms of the licensing deals are expired, they can do whatever the hell they want. This is why Marvel content will be leaving Netflix, has already been announced. It's also why Netflix is killing their own Marvel properties such as Dare Devil, despite having exclusive rights to the co-created content. They're annoyed and moving on.
  • Reply 36 of 42

Hmm. So those of us with jack diddly interest in Disney brands are, absolutely, not going to anything anything Apple may possibly come up with? Okay.... Who do you favor in the World Series? Any stock tips?
  • Reply 37 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    MacPro said:
    Apple doesn't want to buy Disney.  Can you see them running Amusement parks, Crusie Lines, and Resorts?  Not to mention, several tv networks.  Streaming is a smart part of the Disney empire.  Apple like to have a limited offering, hence canceling routers.  Running Disney would be a big problem. 
    Did you even see the wink and read the comment I was responding to? 
  • Reply 38 of 42

Hmm. So those of us with jack diddly interest in Disney brands are, absolutely, not going to anything anything Apple may possibly come up with? Okay.... Who do you favor in the World Series? Any stock tips?
    I think the people who have no interest in the Disney brands make up a very small part of the movie watching population.  They're the Apple of movie making.  They're far and away the most successful studio.  And now they've added Fox.  They're the elephant in the room...and Apple is going to launch against them.  Apple has no IP's.  They're struggling trying to get things going in their own studio.  Only Apple die hards can really think that they will be a major player in the streaming space.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member

I think the people who have no interest in the Disney brands make up a very small part of the movie watching population.  They're the Apple of movie making.  They're far and away the most successful studio.  And now they've added Fox.  They're the elephant in the room...and Apple is going to launch against them.  Apple has no IP's.  They're struggling trying to get things going in their own studio.  Only Apple die hards can really think that they will be a major player in the streaming space.
    If all you think of is Pocahontas and Cinderella then there are plenty of people who wouldn't be interested, but when you look at the breadth of pictures Disney has produced, then add Pixar, Marvel studios, Fox, ABC.... there are vey few people who aren't interested in something they do.
  • Reply 40 of 42

Yeah, same song & dance we heard when Apple was rumored to enter the digital music player space, the cell phone space, streaming music space, yada yada... "They're not just going to walk in!" etc.. 

Just as Apple holds a non-majority of mobile share yet manages to thrive (same with music streaming), if they enter this space I'm sure they'll be just fine without our worry and "concern". They don't have to topple Disney to do well. If you recall, Jobs was content with 2% when Apple launched iPhone.