Tips: How to pair your AirPods with a Galaxy S10 -- or any other device

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
Using AirPods with a new Samsung Galaxy S10 is easy to do. AppleInsider walks you through how to pair them, as well as what features you may miss out on.

Samsung Galaxy S10+ and AirPods
Samsung Galaxy S10+ and AirPods listening to Apple Music

AirPods have become the king of true wireless earbuds, taking over the iOS world. Fortunately, you don't have to have an iPhone or iPad to use AirPods. While you lose out on a couple features, here is how you can pair your AirPods with your brand new Samsung Galaxy S10, S10+, S10e, or most other Bluetooth devices.

How to

Start by placing your individual AirPods into the charging case. While the case is open, press and hold the small pairing button located on the back.

Open the Bluetooth settings menu on your Galaxy S10 (or another device).

AirPods Bluetooth pairing process
AirPods Bluetooth pairing process

Choose AirPods and confirm the pairing.

Now you can listen to your music, movies, podcast or whatever else through your AirPods just like any other Bluetooth earbuds.

When you're done, from the Bluetooth menu, forget or unpair the headphones so they no longer connect. All previous iCloud associations remain intact as well, so when you unpair from your work PC you can instantly use them once more with your iPhone.

Trade-offs

Being that other non-Apple devices lack certain aspects, there are a few things that don't work as they do on iOS. For starters, as outlined above, the simple and elegant pairing process is a no-go. You are stuck pairing the old fashioned way.

AirPods can be double tapped to play/pause songs
AirPods can be double tapped to play/pause songs

The controls on the sides of the earbuds also act differently. A double-tap on either earbud will act as a play/pause button. On iOS, this can be configured to suit your preferences.

You also don't get to take advantage of the iCloud sharing that seamlessly syncs the AirPods to all your devices, as it does on Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch.

What you get

The sound is still good, the range and signal strength is fantastic, they pack a ton of battery in a small design, and they are iconic enough to be recognized by anyone as you walk down the street.

We've espoused our love of Apple's true wireless earbuds many times over the years and that still holds true today.

Whether you're going from an iPhone to a new Galaxy S10 or you already have an Android device but want to rock Apple's buds, it is extremely easy to do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Step 1: Just go get an iPhone! 
    macseekerwatto_cobraGeorgeBMacAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 15
    and they are iconic enough to be recognized by anyone as you walk down the street.

edited March 2019
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sfolaxsfolax Posts: 49member
    Airpods are also iconic enough to have a meme. That said I still use mine every day, they are great for subway travel and city walks as you can still hear what is going on around you.

edited March 2019 hammeroftruth
  • Reply 4 of 15
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 688member
    I thought this was APPLEinsider?

Can I find out how to pair my AirPods with my Blackberry Curve?
    edited March 2019 watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 5 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    macxpress said:
    Step 1: Just go get an iPhone! 
    Step 2 and 3? There is no Step 2 and 3!

A friend paired is AirPods to his iPhone 7 and his girlfriends Samsung tablet. He was surprised that the AirPods were still paired to his phone. That's not unique to AirPods of course, but it's a nice feature.

I see kids sharing their headphones, one each, from time to time. A couple of times I saw adults sharing a pair of AirPods. Very nice not being constricted by any cords whatsoever.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Appleish said:

Sure. Follow these directions here.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Appleish said:

You should have put a link to something at least...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Step 1: Dispose of Galaxy S10
    watto_cobralamboaudi4AppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mobird said:
    Appleish said:

You should have put a link to something at least...
    Why? This very piece we’re all commenting on are the instructions on how to do it.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Actually this might convince more people to buy airpods to pair with their android devices. Kinda like how the iPod was the halo device that had more people rethinking PC and purchasing a Mac. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    Appleish said:

Now guess who’s making those AirPods. And just imagine you own one of those and would like to know if and how you might connect them to your S10 provided
    by your office...
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    And speaking of pairing AirPods, my friend was astounded at how stupid easy it is to pair them to an iPhone.

He also had a pair of some $20 BT (with a wire between the bus) earphones from Amazon that would pair to his iPhone via the typical — put the phone and 'buds in Discover mode, look for the red-blue flashing light etc. But he could never get them to pair with his girlfriend's Samsung tablet. The AirPods paired first time, fairly easily.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Article title should have been:

How to pair your AirPods with a non-Apple device -- and why it sucks.

The ability to switch the AirPods from one Apple device to another with a single tap is briefly touched on, but under-emphasized IMHO.
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 14 of 15
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

I'm seeing more people with those huge knockoff AirPods paired with their androids lol!! It's iPhone all over again.

Appleish said:

Then why mention S10 specifically? Clickbait factor I guess.

• Reply 15 of 15

I'm seeing more people with those huge knockoff AirPods paired with their androids lol!! It's iPhone all over again.

Appleish said:

Then why mention S10 specifically? Clickbait factor I guess.

Given that the video was show pairing with a S10, I'd say no.