Apple promotes App Store by adding a 10% bonus when you add funds

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2019
Until Thursday, March 14, if you top up your iTunes or App Store account Apple will add 10 percent, limited to a maximum top-up of $200.

You can add funds through your iOS device or, as done here, your Mac
You can add funds through your iOS device or, as done here, your Mac

Apple has launched a promotion designed to get users adding money to their iTunes and App Store accounts. Until Thursday, March 14, anyone with a valid payment card listed on their account can add a one-time top-up and get a 10 percent bonus. Apple states that this applies to any amount you add from $1 to a maximum of $200, but in practice the amount depends on the device you're using.

Go to the App Store on an iOS device, tap on your name, and then on Add Funds to Apple ID. You'll then be shown details of the promotion and list of five different amounts you can add to your account. These are $10, $25, $50, $100 and $200. Apple lists the bonus amount next to each, ranging from a $1 bonus to a $20 one.

It's slightly different if you use your Mac. In the Mac App Store, click on your name at bottom left, then on View Information. You'll be prompted for your Apple ID password and then given details of various choices such as purchase history. One option is Add Funds to Apple ID and it again shows you a series of amounts you can add. The last one, however, is Other, and if you click on that, you can then type in any amount from $1 to $200.

This bonus is available to US users, but Apple is reportedly offering similar promotions in selected other countries such as Germany.

Note, however, that the promotion says that "offer eligibility may vary based on account information or purchase history." Apple doesn't explain what these conditions are, but it means that even if you have a US iTunes account, you may not be offered this bonus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Not in Canada :(
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Not in Switzerland  :(
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Not difficult to improve upon this through gift cards
  • Reply 4 of 13
    So, we’re not talking about Apple Pay right?  That would be actually useful...
    bonobob
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    So, we’re not talking about Apple Pay right?  That would be actually useful...
    No. This is just iTunes & App Store.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Nice. So for $100, with bonus you can get a free app or two. Language and music are some recent favorites of mine. Japanese app by a certain Peebles tests your memory and calligraphy ability. Suggester app for musicians great value too, also seems like several hundred dollars of software. Does way more than MS Word. ;-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Since I spent $9.99 each on two different apps just over the last week, this is an attractive promo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Often at Costco, $100 worth of iTunes cards be had for $85. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Any chance we can use iTunes gift cards to add and receive the bonus? I got 2 for Christmas that I haven’t used yet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    rarerare Posts: 27member
    Any chance we can use iTunes gift cards to add and receive the bonus? I got 2 for Christmas that I haven’t used yet. 
    Nope. I just tried redeeming a couple gift cards. No bonus.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Not in Norway.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    dcgoo said:
    Often at Costco, $100 worth of iTunes cards be had for $85. 
    But then you have to pay tax, which eats the bonus. Wonder if this does the same.

And this feels more like 9% off than a 10% bonus. 😉
  • Reply 13 of 13
    In Japan there is a 5% bonus