President Trump insists he was saving time by calling Cook 'Tim Apple'

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85
    Why is it a story? It would not have been a story had Trump accepted the fact that he made a mistake. No big deal. However, HE made it a story by coming up with such a lame explanation. Classic narcissistic individual.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 82 of 85
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    It’s the unimportance of this that ultimately makes it important. Everyone flubs words every day. I’ve done it and you’ve done it. 

The difference is is how we react to it. Most of us have some humility and humor, and if it were pointed out that we’d just called Tim Cook “Tim Apple,” we would think it’s funny, and join in on the laugh. We might also offer an apology to Cook, just in case he was offended, although it seems he saw the humor, too. 

Not so for Mr. Trump. He’s defensive instead, and compulsively has to lie about it, making two different mutually exclusive explanations that are both obvious in their untruth. It’s like the inaugural crowd size thing. It’s a totally unimportant thing that he nonetheless goes out of his way to lie about. 

That’s why this is important. The lying is so compulsive and rampant that it happens even with unimportant things where the truth is on video and easily proven. 
    edited March 2019 SoliAI_lias
  • Reply 83 of 85
    arlomediaarlomedia Posts: 271member
    danR2222 said:
    He made a trivial slip-up into another massive opportunity to lie about what he had said.
    A better president would have simply laughed it off, but good-natured honest self-deprecation isn't in the man's genes.
    That is what turns his non-stories into stories.
     Agreed -- it's not the crime, it's the cover-up.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 84 of 85

jesus, it's so absurd that this is a story or ever was a "story". where has our self respect gone?

btw, trump isn't on the spectrum. maybe adhd.

also, he's 72 years old, travels around the world regularly, and gives 2 hour long speeches and press conferences all the time. and people want to make a thing of "tim apple"??

pathetic

I think you need to direct that comment to the President. If anyone has kept this story alive it’s him.

It’s perfectly normal for people to make fun of a public figure’s snafu. That happens all the time. Most public figures accept the mistake laugh with everyone and move on.

My issue (and a majority of those scrutinizing this)  is that Trump didn’t do the grown-up thing and accept the slip and move on. Instead he started _lying_ about it. Even worse, he has doubled down and even changed what that lie is.
  • Reply 85 of 85
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    SpamSandwich said:
    Our opinions differ greatly on what is a “good leader”. That’s OK, but you’ll never convince me that the prior President was anything less than a “useful idiot” for the Democratic establishment.
    Yeah, it doesn't seem the President is really that much in charge, or they get convinced and talked into things by their 'advisors.' Look at all the things Obama promised, especially related to wars and international policy that didn't follow through in his time in office. And, it seems we're seeing somewhat the same with Trump (cf. Venezuela for example). Either Trump's fight against the neocons stopped at Syria, or maybe oil interests are just too interesting in Venezuela.

And, yeah, is a "good leader" one who supports the corruption, using eloquent speech and such to get the people onboard, or one who fights against it? And, with the country seemingly so divided on particular policy and social issues, it seems any leader is going to be deemed good/bad for some huge portion of the population.

xbit said:
    It's worrying that your president is so furious at people poking fun at him that he feels the need to make up two different lies a week later to explain why he misspoke. 
    For sure... that is worrying, as is the the number of politicians and majority of the media focused on doing anything they can (including lying, fake news, etc.) to bring him down. He certainly earns some of the flack, but he's also in one insane battle against outlandish odds. It *should* have been more worrying to people (who are actually paying attention) what might have happened had we gotten the alternative.

Why is it a story? It would not have been a story had Trump accepted the fact that he made a mistake. No big deal. However, HE made it a story by coming up with such a lame explanation. Classic narcissistic individual.
    Yeah... except the story was going BEFORE Trump came up with lame excuses. So, I think that kind of defeats your thesis there, no?

AppleZulu said:
    It’s the unimportance of this that ultimately makes it important. Everyone flubs words every day. I’ve done it and you’ve done it. 
    Well, except that when you, or I, (or past presidents) do it, the world media doesn't usually go crazy over it.