Survey claims 86 percent of US teens plan to choose iPhone as next smartphone

Posted:
in iPhone
A newly-published survey of 8,600 U.S. teens found that a higher number than ever, 86 percent, are hoping to make Apple's iPhone their next smartphone.

Teenage iPhone wasteland

That percentage -- gauged across 47 states during the fall of 2018 -- ranks against 84 percent last spring, investment firm Piper Jaffray said on Monday. The average age of those surveyed was 15.9, and the average household income $68,300.

The survey didn't comment on the practicality of getting a new iPhone. Apple's cheapest 2018 model is the iPhone XR, which normally starts at $749 -- and while it's possible to lower that cost through trade-ins and other promos, it may be more realistic for teens to buy older hardware like the iPhone 7 or 8.

Elsewhere in the survey, Piper found that Netflix was the most popular source of daily video consumption, coming in at 38 percent. It surpassed YouTube's 33 percent, despite the ubiquity of the free Google platform.

Perhaps signaling the work ahead for Apple TV+, launching this fall, Hulu ranked fourth with just 5 percent, beaten even by cable TV's 16 percent. Netflix was the first streaming video service to become popular, and has firmly established itself worldwide with a mix of third-party content and original shows like "Stranger Things," "Mindhunter," and "Russian Doll."

Apple is preparing its own slate of original TV shows with A-list stars and directors, but has yet to say whether it will offer any third-party material. That may be harder and harder to come by since there's already a plethora of rival services, and Disney+ -- launching around the same time -- will by default have access to titles from ABC, ESPN, Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm, and more.

Piper meanwhile found that Snapchat was the top social media platform for teens, favored by 46 percent, followed by Facebook's Instagram at 32 percent. Though popular among adults, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest managed just 6, 5, and 1 percent, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I don't find that surprising at all.   NONE of my grandson's friends have anything but an iPhone, iPad or IPod and not a single one has an Android device.   They use them to communicate with each other and their uniformity helps that because they don't have to deal with different apps and protocols -- so its prevalence strengthens the product.

And, I think we will see Apple leveraging that prevalence with other products like Apple Watch, AirPods and a host of services -- starting of course with Apple Music which many of them already have.  And, those services will be supported by Family Sharing:  for me it is only $5 a month to share my Apple Music subscription.

G O     A P P L E  !
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Great news and agree with the poster above. No doubt our resident Google journalist will post refuting evidence any second ...
    StrangeDayspscooter63GeorgeBMacbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 37
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    And what about some research how they fulfilled their intention or willingness/plan?
    Carnage
  • Reply 4 of 37
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    Not just teens; I know several people my age (late 30s) & older who have switched to . Only know one who went to android. Not that my anecdotal observations mean much. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    Wonder as these teens grow up and enter the work place, if the only computer they will use is one issued at work. Will the smartphone also be their personal computer?
  • Reply 6 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    But but but Chromebooks in school should have created a new breed of super soldier by now!
    Dan_DilgerjeffharrisSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Wonder as these teens grow up and enter the work place, if the only computer they will use is one issued at work. Will the smartphone also be their personal computer?

mm. Yeah, but I bet a certain percentage will be like me & request Mac. Otherwise they can find someone else to sit there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    mastericmasteric Posts: 89member
    Yeah, no surprise to me. When my teen has her friends over from high school, they all have iPhones (which makes adding them to my guest WiFi a piece of cake). When she needed a new phone it never crossed her mind to get anything other than an iPhone. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    But but but Chromebooks in school should have created a new breed of super soldier by now!
    Wow!
    chemenginwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 37
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The more important number I would like to see is what the parents intend to buy. Not many kids get to drop $1k without parental permission.

As to Hulu, they have been a hydra owned by Disney, Fox, Comcast and AT&T. With the Disney/Fox deal the mouse house will have 66% or so of Hulu. It would not surprise me to see Disney buy out Comcast and AT&T to own Hulu and recast it as they want it.
    edited April 2019 maciekskontakthammeroftruth
  • Reply 11 of 37
    And the gap between US and other markets (teens) is growing. They pick Androids elsewhere. Hype is not everything.
    chemenginCarnage
  • Reply 12 of 37
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    how can they choose their next iPhone when they can't put down the one they now have?
    cornchipGeorgeBMacfrantisek
  • Reply 13 of 37
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    davgreg said:
    The more important number I would like to see is what the parents intend to buy. Not many kids get to drop $1k without parental permission.

As to Hulu, they have been a hydra owned by Disney, Fox, Comcast and AT&T. With the Disney/Fox deal the mouse house will have 66% or so of Hulu. It would not surprise me to see Disney buy out Comcast and AT&T to own Hulu and recast it as they want it.
    Yes, the new gilded age, the few own everything.
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 37
    davgreg said:

They do not have much choice if they do not want to be declared enemies by their young hype driven offspring (that BTW is clueless and trives on unproductive entertainment). It is just that they never tried anything else to understand, but they will be parroting what brainwashed crowd tells them because as usually they fear being isolated (whiich is normal). That is how it works with everything. Remember sneaker brands and models? Same with smartphones now. They do not need to be really fit for need and quality (and perhaps price), but if others use them then "everybody" needs to use them.
    frantisek
  • Reply 15 of 37
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    More likely, their next smartphone will be their parents old iPhone when they upgrade. 
    watto_cobrafrantisek
  • Reply 16 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    MacPro said:
    Great news and agree with the poster above. No doubt our resident Google journalist will post refuting evidence any second ...
    This is exactly the type of thing I said to you a couple days back: Trolling me with an invitation to a thread that if I had an interest in I would comment on it. I don't. It doesn't matter to me what someone wants to use for a phone, but that wasn't the reason for your call-out anyway IMO.
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3146438/#Comment_3146438

You seemingly have a greater interest in trolling me than discussion. No prob. I learned the drill years ago, I just have a new follower with an agenda. 
    GeorgeBMacavon b7bigtdschemenginCarnagemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 37
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    So my wife works for Citibank at their headquarters, and she tells me they have new computers that are not really computers... They are just dub terminals. Welcome to the mainframe computers of the 1960's!  The idea is, you leave your cork laptop at home for when you work remote, and when you come in, yo can sit anywhere and long into your account and continue doing whatever you were doing before, no matter where you sit. Makes perfect sense now that open seating is the norm. Why put expensive computers everywhere or why make people carry laptops around with powerful processors.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    XrayXXrayX Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Except, of course, this depends upon them staying on the good side of mumsy & dadda since they've got no money themselves. What are the odds of teen-agers doing that?

Yeah, memo to Apple: Don't count on it
    chemengin
  • Reply 19 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    More likely, their next smartphone will be their parents old iPhone when they upgrade. 
    More likely, their parent's next smartphone will be their kid's old iPhone when they upgrade.
    ... Fixed that for you! (No thank you's needed!)

Actually, kids tend to give their iPhones a much harder workout than their parents with videos, games and such while the old folks are stuck in FaceBook and email.  The kids need a more powerful phone with a better screen.   The parents will do just fine with the kid's old iPhone 7 that just rolled off of AppleCare+.

• Reply 20 of 37
    jmey267jmey267 Posts: 57member
    davgreg said:

They don't get the latest and greatest but they do get refurbed iPhones 7 unlocked from Apples refurbished site. I know alot of other parents have done this also after referring them to that.
    watto_cobra