Apple's 31.6-inch professional display may arrive soon, 17-inch MacBook Pro in early 2021 ...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
A new research note penned by Ming-Chi Kuo predicts that Apple's long-awaited professional-grade display will arrive in the next few months, and the rumored MacBook Pro with larger display won't arrive until the first half of 2021 -- and both will incorporate mini LED backlighting.

Apple's Thunderbolt display, the company's last professional display
Apple's Thunderbolt display, the company's last professional display

Ming-Chi Kuo doesn't delve into specs on the display in his latest note, declaring the size, and mini LED backlight specifications. Kuo expects that the display will have some form of wide color gamut, and high contrast.

His reiteration of the MacBook Pro rumor also says that it will incorporate mini LED backlighting, but has more to do with timing for release, than anything else. Less certain in the report is a migration of the technology to a large-format iPad, but that is less clear in the note.

Further, iPad models featuring mini LED backlighting are expected to land at the end of 2020 or early 2021.

Notably, Kuo believes Apple's standalone monitor will employ "mini LED-like" technology, meaning the LED backlighting chips will be larger than a "true" mini LED array. The MacBook Pro and iPad units will boast the smaller mini LED chip sizes, allowing for about 15 to 25 times the number of total chips per display compared to the 31.6-inch monitor.

Kuo dropped the tidbit in a research note on Feb. 17 that included information regarding a range of products. No further details on the larger MacBook Pro were offered in the note, nor is there much in Monday's note, beyond advice about what mini LED manufacturers readers should invest in.

That mini LED MacBook Pro will boast a screen measuring between 16 and 16.5 inches on the diagonal, Kuo predicted earlier, with Monday's note suggesting that up to 17 inches is possible. If true, the MacBook Pro line will see its first significant bump in display size since Apple discontinued the 17-inch model in 2012. Currently, the largest MacBook Pro on offer features a 15-inch Retina display packing a resolution of 2,880-by-1,800 pixels.

In the same research report from February, the well-connected analyst also dished details on plans for a new "easy-to-upgrade" Mac Pro, a 6K Apple display, three new iPads and three new iPhones.

At present, it isn't clear if Monday's note is discussing the rumored 6K display, or another resolution.

The note was originally obtained by the Economic Daily News who are more focused on the supply chain implications of such a move.

Updated with details on iPad and mini LED sizes.
StrangeDays

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    It's gonna take that long to fix a keyboard issue that was never broken in the first place 'till they broke it?

And ANOTHER two years before Apple offers ANY notebook many of feel we can buy with confidence that it'll be usable for us?

I may have to start looking for the last of the MB Airs before they got caught up in butterfly gate.  And give an Win 10 machine a try.

Honest, Tim, I've had $3,000 burning a hole in my pocket for over three years now....!  This is getting beyond farcial.  Why has Apple just kept doubling down on the worst KB they've ever offered (worst on multiple dimensions for many of us, though yeah I know, it works for many, noise and all.  But "works for many" should never be Apple's goal.)

edited April 2019 bohler80s_Apple_Guychemengindysamoriadavgregwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    I'm starting to dread the release of the pro display. I need a new display bad and everything on the market is garbage, but I also don't need or want some monster that costs as much as an iMac. It sounds like they're over-speccing hard, for my purposes anyway.
    lorin schultzcornchipwozwozchemengindysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 64
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    The keyboard is definitely an issue but I just want that horrible Touch Bar gone.
    bohlerSpamSandwichchemengindysamoriadavgregwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 64
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I'm starting to dread the release of the pro display. I need a new display bad and everything on the market is garbage, but I also don't need or want some monster that costs as much as an iMac. It sounds like they're over-speccing hard, for my purposes anyway.
    I'm hoping the new pro display will drive down the used market for LG 5K displays and I'll pick up one of those.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 64
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Cannot wait for the 17” MacBook Pro. 

My first Mac ever was a maxed out “last of the Mohicans” 17” PowerBook and it was magic.

That thing lasted me from Winter 2005 - Winter 2015 and ran like a champ. The only thing that stopped me abusing it further were software updates that no longer supported the G4 architecture. 

My new 15” MBP is great, but dang, I wish it had more real estate in the display. My iMac 5k takes care of that nicely, but I am one of those mobile users that doesn’t like to sacrifice when I am on the go. Give me my fully powered workhorse with a genuinely great display that I can take with me. There are enough models in the lineup to satisfy the folks who only want the smallest form factor. None to satisfy the no compromises crowd. 

Can’t. Wait. 

cornchipaegeantobianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 64
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Would Apple release a new large monitor before they release a Mac Pro which would be the primary partner for that monitor?
    cornchipdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 64
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Will they also just release the iMac screen in a display normal people, you know, those of us that aren’t Larry Ellison, can afford?
    cornchipManicMoovdysamoriadavgregwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 64
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    So when you think 2019 Macbook Pro will be announced. My guess is after Intel announces shipment of there 10nm Sunny Cove ICE processors.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Me too. I'm still working on putting together a little edit suite and thought about waiting for the new Apple monitors, but after reading the predictions of what it's going to be I decided not to. I neither need nor want such high resolution nor mammoth size, and really don't want to pay what something like that will cost.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Apple will ALSO produce a smaller, more affordable alternative. I'm not holding my breath though.
    cornchipwozwozdysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Can't wait for the Mac Display -- finally!

As to the 17", MBP, meh. If it's mostly a larger version of my new 15" (which is as heavy, if not slightly more so than the 2016 model), it'll be way too heavy to carry around.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I doubt there will be a 17" MacBook Pro...this is just wishful thinking on some people's part. Ming-Chi Kuo isn't always known for being accurate. He recently predicted AirPower was shipping soon and the following week (or shortly after) Apple announced it dropped the product completely. 

He basically just throws shit at the wall to see what sticks. 

As for the display...I wouldn't be surprised if Apple makes a Cintiq type display and have it compatible with Apple Pencil. I just 
    don't see Apple making a standard display. 
    edited April 2019 uniscapewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 64
    bohlerbohler Posts: 40member
    Cook paid US$300bn in recent years to shareholders....well above the cumulative R&D budget over the same period....in the end, Apple didn’t even manage to equip its laptops with a decent keyboard...this is an outrageous scandal....shame on Tim Cook !!
    BittySonSpamSandwichchemengin
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    kestral said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I'm hoping the new pro display will drive down the used market for LG 5K displays and I'll pick up one of those.
    Sigh. Yeah, that’s likely. I just wish they had (a lot) more ports around back. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 64
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    bohler said:
    Cook paid US$300bn in recent years to shareholders....well above the cumulative R&D budget over the same period....in the end, Apple didn’t even manage to equip its laptops with a decent keyboard...this is an outrageous scandal....shame on Tim Cook !!
    Yet Apple continues to sell millions and millions of laptops with this very scandalous keyboard you mention. Funny! 
    mac_dogroundaboutnowpatchythepirateemig647techprod1gypscooter63randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 64
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Here’s the headline at the Verge: Apple’s rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro might be delayed until next year at the earliest

How can a rumored product be delayed? And why would anyone even report on a rumor with a 2021 release date? How the heck would any analyst or supply chain rumor guy know what Apple has planned in 2021?
    edited April 2019 cornchippatchythepiratedysamoriahmurchison
  • Reply 16 of 64
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    bigpics said:
    It's gonna take that long to fix a keyboard issue that was never broken in the first place 'till they broke it?

And ANOTHER two years before Apple offers ANY notebook many of feel we can buy with confidence that it'll be usable for us?

I may have to start looking for the last of the MB Airs before they got caught up in butterfly gate.  And give an Win 10 machine a try.

Honest, Tim, I've had $3,000 burning a hole in my pocket for over three years now....!  This is getting beyond farcial.  Why has Apple just kept doubling down on the worst KB they've ever offered (worst on multiple dimensions for many of us, though yeah I know, it works for many, noise and all.  But "works for many" should never be Apple's goal.)

Knock yourself out. Honestly, nothing is holding you back from investing in a windoze machine. 
    roundaboutnowcornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 64
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    macxpress said:
    bohler said:
    Yet Apple continues to sell millions and millions of laptops with this very scandalous keyboard you mention. Funny! 
    It sounds sarcastic, but (obviously) missing /s
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    ... and both will incorporate micro LED backlighting.

...and micro LED backlight specifications

...will incorporate mini LED backlighting
    What? Micro LED doesn't involve backlighting, the RGB LEDs provide the light themselves like with OLED. Are they referring to LCD screens with smaller LED backlighting?
    edited April 2019 stompydysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Can't wait for the Mac Display -- finally!

As to the 17", MBP, meh. If it's mostly a larger version of my new 15" (which is as heavy, if not slightly more so than the 2016 model), it'll be way too heavy to carry around.
    Know what I’d like to see? 17” iPad Pro.
    uniscapewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Would Apple release a new large monitor before they release a Mac Pro which would be the primary partner for that monitor?
    Yeah trying to figure out why they’d do that. Have to think they wouldn’t.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra