avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

GeorgeBMac said:
    melgross said:
    sflocal said:
    22july2013 said:
    jdgaz said:
    I like my 4G device. Dont know what 5G will do. Make really fast a touch faster?
    A "touch" faster? I've been reading about the new 5G network in Chicago and it's 6 times faster than the fastest iPhone XS. Things like Apple TV+ will need 5G. I'm worried that Apple will have a two year lag time on one of the most important features of a smart phone, speed. iPhones will be six times slower than Android phones from fall 2019 to fall 2021. That's two years, which in the high tech business is ten years.
    Please... enough over dramatization.

By the time 5G even remotely becomes mainstream, it will be 2020, if not 2021.  This "rush" is just made-up nonsense.  That "test" in Chicago was a roller-coaster of reliability.  Again, 5G doesn't do squat for the majority of users for a couple more years.
    It won’t be mainstream until 2025, at the earliest. And that’s according to the 5G working committees. Others peg 2030 until it’s widely spread.

right now it’s just marketing hype.
    I guess that depends on how you define "mainstream".   Verizon alone intends to have it up and running in 30 U.S. cities over the next 9 months.

Others may feel differently, but if I was given a choice between dropping a grand on a modern 5G capable phone versus an obsolete 4G one, I will take 5G even if it pisses Trump off.
    And what will it do for you that a 4G phone can't?
    Remain current with technology and functionality beyond the first year of its life.   I hate sinking good money into soon to be obsolete gadgets.

The "5G won't do anything" excuse looks pretty weak when, throughout the world, governments and industry are sinking hundreds of billions into it because they know what it will do. 

But what does “remaining current” actually do for you? (This is a serious question.)  What’s the point if it’s the newest but you can’t actually do anything different?
    Some people still get their AOL mail on their desktop by dialing in.   It's the kind of question they would ask.

The analogy is "Why do you need cable when you can just dial in?"   In truth, the cable does nothing.   It's what it enables.   5G is the same.  It's what it will enable -- not today so much as over the 4,5, 6 year life of an iPhone.  
    This is an interesting (though baseless) notion...
    So, in your opinion- if 4g LTE is absolutely PLENTY fast enough to stream 4k content with ease (the highest throughput data type currently); what do you see as being a new data type in the next 4-6 years, that uses so much more data than audio/video? 
    That is how humans have been experiencing things for literally hundreds of thousands of years... are we all going to develop new senses in the next 4-6 years, so that we can take advantage of whatever it is that can be experienced beyond audio/visual?
    I don’t get it.
    I suppose a very feeble argument could be made that AR/VR mobile  experiences will take off at an incredible rate in the next 4-6 years, and that nobody will come up with a compression file type, and that we will need extreme bandwidth to stream immense raw data, describing entire virtual worlds... but that is extremely far-fetched, and literally the only scenario I can think of that would make 5g in any way “necessary”.
    Take a look at the home internet market... is there a difference between having 200mb/s internet & having gigabit internet? No. No, there is not. At some point, you reach the point of diminishing returns.
    It is not only about speed. One of the most factors is latency.

4G cannot satisfy widespread 4K delivery either. The more people streaming, the more stress on the infrastructure. It might be ok now but what about the near future.

IoT should benefit hugely from 5G. MWC 2019 demoed traffic lights on pedestrian crossings with sensors capable of detecting people and sending the information to approaching cars. Cars, likewise can send information back to people (visually impaired for example) who are crossing or about to cross. To their phones of course. The biggest train station in China even uses 5G to let you know how busy the toilets are. Fire Brigades have plans to use drones over 5G. 5G Ambulances. 5G on public transport etc. Your phone will be your link to a world of services that can't exist on a huge scale over 4G due to speed, bandwidth or latency issues.
    All, that, and you have no security concerns wrt 5G.

Good for you!

Not so much for me.
    My security concerns are the same as always. 
  • Reply 62 of 139
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

GeorgeBMac said:
    melgross said:
    sflocal said:
    22july2013 said:
    jdgaz said:
    I like my 4G device. Dont know what 5G will do. Make really fast a touch faster?
    A "touch" faster? I've been reading about the new 5G network in Chicago and it's 6 times faster than the fastest iPhone XS. Things like Apple TV+ will need 5G. I'm worried that Apple will have a two year lag time on one of the most important features of a smart phone, speed. iPhones will be six times slower than Android phones from fall 2019 to fall 2021. That's two years, which in the high tech business is ten years.

By the time 5G even remotely becomes mainstream, it will be 2020, if not 2021.  This "rush" is just made-up nonsense.  That "test" in Chicago was a roller-coaster of reliability.  Again, 5G doesn't do squat for the majority of users for a couple more years.
    It won’t be mainstream until 2025, at the earliest. And that’s according to the 5G working committees. Others peg 2030 until it’s widely spread.

I guess that depends on how you define "mainstream".   Verizon alone intends to have it up and running in 30 U.S. cities over the next 9 months.

Others may feel differently, but if I was given a choice between dropping a grand on a modern 5G capable phone versus an obsolete 4G one, I will take 5G even if it pisses Trump off.
    Remain current with technology and functionality beyond the first year of its life.   I hate sinking good money into soon to be obsolete gadgets.

The "5G won't do anything" excuse looks pretty weak when, throughout the world, governments and industry are sinking hundreds of billions into it because they know what it will do. 

But what does “remaining current” actually do for you? (This is a serious question.)  What’s the point if it’s the newest but you can’t actually do anything different?
    Some people still get their AOL mail on their desktop by dialing in.   It's the kind of question they would ask.

The analogy is "Why do you need cable when you can just dial in?"   In truth, the cable does nothing.   It's what it enables.   5G is the same.  It's what it will enable -- not today so much as over the 4,5, 6 year life of an iPhone.  
    This is an interesting (though baseless) notion...
    So, in your opinion- if 4g LTE is absolutely PLENTY fast enough to stream 4k content with ease (the highest throughput data type currently); what do you see as being a new data type in the next 4-6 years, that uses so much more data than audio/video? 
    That is how humans have been experiencing things for literally hundreds of thousands of years... are we all going to develop new senses in the next 4-6 years, so that we can take advantage of whatever it is that can be experienced beyond audio/visual?
    I don’t get it.
    I suppose a very feeble argument could be made that AR/VR mobile  experiences will take off at an incredible rate in the next 4-6 years, and that nobody will come up with a compression file type, and that we will need extreme bandwidth to stream immense raw data, describing entire virtual worlds... but that is extremely far-fetched, and literally the only scenario I can think of that would make 5g in any way “necessary”.
    Take a look at the home internet market... is there a difference between having 200mb/s internet & having gigabit internet? No. No, there is not. At some point, you reach the point of diminishing returns.
    Guy Kawasaki (from the original Mac team) wrote piece a short while ago where he reminisced on lessons learned from Steve and he was quite obviously talking about you.  (Were your ears burning?).

He said he learned from Steve to never to ask an existing customer what they wanted -- because they would simply say "More, better, faster of the same".   That, if you asked an Apple ][ user what they wanted, they wouldn't tell you they wanted a Macintosh, they would tell you they wanted a faster Apple ][.   The moral is:  The Apple ][ would still meet your needs if you still only did the things you did back in the early 80's.  The true benefit of Moore's law is not that you can continue to do the same old stuff faster, but you will be able to do new stuff you haven't even thought of doing.

How's that dial-up going?   Does AOL still sing "You Got Mail!"?  Does it still meet your needs?   Today?
  • Reply 63 of 139
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

GeorgeBMac said:
    melgross said:
    sflocal said:
    22july2013 said:
    jdgaz said:

And what you give is a sarcastic, non-answer, and your analogies are equally pathetic. For people interested in cutting-edge technology, iPhones do not have a 6 or even 4 year life span. In what way is being 'limited' to 4G speeds/latency going to limit how you use your cell phone in the next 2-3 years?
    Sorry that you did not understand.   But I'm happy for you that you can trade in your iPhone every year.
    Just so I'm clear...
    5G is going to be critical by the end of 2020, even though the full roll out is expected to take several years.
    You claim any phone without 5G capabilities will be obsolete by the end of the year yet you can't identify a single case where 5G is necessary or provides any benefit over 4G.
    You want your phone to have the latest technology, but only want to get a new phone every 5 or 6 years.

Got it.

Mark Twain was right when he talked about arguing...

No, I didn't say a non-5G phone would be obsolete in 2019.   But nice strawman.
  • Reply 65 of 139
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    MplsP said:
    Just so I'm clear...
    5G is going to be critical by the end of 2020, even though the full roll out is expected to take several years.
    You claim any phone without 5G capabilities will be obsolete by the end of the year yet you can't identify a single case where 5G is necessary or provides any benefit over 4G.
    You want your phone to have the latest technology, but only want to get a new phone every 5 or 6 years.

Got it.

Actually, you did.
  • Reply 66 of 139
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    avon b7 said:
    Not a nice read here.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-two-canadians-detained-in-china-are-prevented-from-seeing-the-sun-or/

"Two Canadian men detained in China are being held in isolation, barred from going outside or seeing the sun.

Wednesday marked four months of detention for Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, who are being held in a government system that gives Chinese authorities up to six months to conduct interrogations outside the formal legal system.

Chinese authorities seized the two men on Dec. 10, days after the arrest in Vancouver of Meng Wanzhou, a top executive of Chinese telecom giant Huawei Technologies Company Ltd. Ever since, the men have been subjected to interrogations of six to eight hours a day, according to a Canadian official, who was granted anonymity because of the political sensitivity of the case.

China has accused Mr. Kovrig and Mr. Spavor of espionage-related offences, although neither man has been formally charged. They have been prevented from seeing family or lawyers but have been granted monthly, 30-minute consular meetings. Those meetings provide the sole opportunity to leave the facilities where they are being held."

Tell me again about the wonderful Chinese Government that Huawei is intertwined with, especially for internal security, ie, the police state.

• Reply 67 of 139
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    hentaiboy said:
    Now with embedded spy chip!

NO THANKS.
    Lol... while the world is absolutely suspect of Huawei’s credibility In the security realm ... they want to sell to the The Biggest Ani-Huawei brand, Apple ...lol
    The Brits are happy enough to use Huawei.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-europe-britain/britain-managing-huawei-risks-has-no-evidence-of-spying-official-idUSKCN1Q91PM
    That isn't precisely accurate;

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47830056

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/28/hcsec_huawei_oversight_board_savaging_annual_report/

https://technode.com/2019/04/02/discussing-huawei-in-a-chinese-coffee-shop/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-top-huawei-executive-says-not-even-xi-jinping-could-compel-it-to-help/

Why would any liberal democracy trust in a company like Huawei so well entrenched in the CCP.

Buy Samsung, Nokia and Ericsson. 

Do you think anyone trusts anyone else?

Huawei is the top communications backbone infrastructure manufacturer - worldwide.

That's a lot of countries. The only thing that has changed is a campaign by the US government to try a prevent Chinese communications technology leapfrogging US efforts and gaining tech influence.

In a word, protectionism.

Much of the rest of the world is basically saying 'tough luck'. They don't really care about who has telecommunications dominance unless it is them, and it isn't. They care about products and cost.

17 hours ago Donald Trump told the Spanish Prime Minister to ban Huawei. He was swiftly rebuffed and Pedro Sánchez made it clear that that wasn't going to happen.

Huawei is a couple of years ahead of the game in 5G. It would cost governments BILLIONS to change tack on Huawei at such a late stage. And, in spite of repeated requests, no evidence supporting the US claims has ever been provided. Not even to, erm, 'allies' who the US is spying on anyway! We know this for various reasons, not least Edward Snowden.

But that has nothing to do with Huawei anyway. 

That’s very funny.
    Funny?

Protectionism:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2019/01/30/the-shameful-persecution-of-huawei-by-americas-protectionist-class/

Technological Lead:

"Petty said that when it came to technology, Huawei "is a long way in front" – with Ericsson in second place and Nokia third."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/07/vodafone_huawei_ban/

"In spite of tensions with the US and its allies, Huawei is rapidly building a suite of AI offerings unmatched by any other company on the planet"

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/612914/chinas-huawei-has-big-ambitions-to-weaken-the-uss-grip-on-ai-leadership/

Cost:

https://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-5g-ban-could-cost-uk-economy-pound68bn

Snowden:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/26/huawei-the-us-security-accusation-of-our-5g-has-no-evidence-nothing/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26712564

https://www.politico.eu/article/huawei-telecoms-mobile-world-congress-fair-how-huawei-won-barcelona/

Rebuff (Spanish):

https://okdiario.com/economia/trump-pide-espana-que-penalice-huawei-sanchez-lo-rechaza-ser-vital-telefonica-3955188

Funny? This is funny...

A few years ago you were bragging how the E.U. was going to beat the US in AI.  Now it’s Huawei.  The reality is really smart folks prefer to move to countries where both freedom and the ability to make decent money without being taxed to death.  That doesn’t describe either China or the E.U.  Folks in the E.U. make less and are taxed more and at the end of the day that results in a brain drain that is positive for the US.  Same for China except the tax is on thoughts.
    tmay
  • Reply 68 of 139
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Not a nice read here.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-two-canadians-detained-in-china-are-prevented-from-seeing-the-sun-or/

"Two Canadian men detained in China are being held in isolation, barred from going outside or seeing the sun.

Wednesday marked four months of detention for Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, who are being held in a government system that gives Chinese authorities up to six months to conduct interrogations outside the formal legal system.

Chinese authorities seized the two men on Dec. 10, days after the arrest in Vancouver of Meng Wanzhou, a top executive of Chinese telecom giant Huawei Technologies Company Ltd. Ever since, the men have been subjected to interrogations of six to eight hours a day, according to a Canadian official, who was granted anonymity because of the political sensitivity of the case.

China has accused Mr. Kovrig and Mr. Spavor of espionage-related offences, although neither man has been formally charged. They have been prevented from seeing family or lawyers but have been granted monthly, 30-minute consular meetings. Those meetings provide the sole opportunity to leave the facilities where they are being held."

Tell me again about the wonderful Chinese Government that Huawei is intertwined with, especially for internal security, ie, the police state.

That's China, not Huawei. Should I make similar comparisons between Guantanamo and Apple?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 69 of 139
    tmay said:
    Here's a well considered take on the Huawei 5G problem;

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3005407/us-seeks-freeze-out-huawei-europe-using-rule-law-argument

"The US is engaged in a global campaign to keep Chinese tech companies out of advanced 5G networks promising faster connections, enabling uses such as autonomous vehicles and remote surgery. American officials fear that the Chinese government may force companies such as Huawei to incorporate software code or hardware that would allow Beijing to spy on the US or allies and disrupt sectors ranging from power to transport and manufacturing in a crisis."

“The most fundamental security standard, really, is that you cannot have this extrajudicial, non-rule of law compliant process where a government can tell its companies to do something,” Strayer said on Monday.

and,

"Australia, New Zealand and Japan have acceded to US requests to bar Huawei’s 5G equipment. Those allies have also banded together to provide aid to the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea so that they would reject a Huawei submarine cable carrying broadband connections, saying the line represents a national security threat at its connection point in Australia."

This is absolutely about national security, and not about "protectionism"; the U.S. doesn't have any existing 5G telecom manufacturers, relying instead on the marketplace. Unfortunately for Huawei, those CCP and Chinese Government Connections as well as the legal system that is beholden to the CCP, all are high risks for Western Liberal Governments. 
    So let me get this straight:
    A foreign country who has never attacked us might, maybe, sometime in the future ask one of their companies to reveal U.S. secretes and that company might, maybe do so in that hypothetical future and might maybe not reveal anything to any of their valued customers in the U.S. -- and that constitutes irrefutable proof that they are spies...   

Meanwhile asking a country who was in the process of attacking us to expand their attack into cyber warfare in order to over turn our election is not collusion.

Got it.
    They have attacked us.  Read history genius.  PLA units directly attacked US units in the Korean War.
  • Reply 70 of 139
    nht said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    hentaiboy said:
    Now with embedded spy chip!

NO THANKS.
    Lol... while the world is absolutely suspect of Huawei’s credibility In the security realm ... they want to sell to the The Biggest Ani-Huawei brand, Apple ...lol
    The Brits are happy enough to use Huawei.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-europe-britain/britain-managing-huawei-risks-has-no-evidence-of-spying-official-idUSKCN1Q91PM
    That isn't precisely accurate;

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47830056

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/28/hcsec_huawei_oversight_board_savaging_annual_report/

https://technode.com/2019/04/02/discussing-huawei-in-a-chinese-coffee-shop/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-top-huawei-executive-says-not-even-xi-jinping-could-compel-it-to-help/

Why would any liberal democracy trust in a company like Huawei so well entrenched in the CCP.

Buy Samsung, Nokia and Ericsson. 

Do you think anyone trusts anyone else?

Huawei is the top communications backbone infrastructure manufacturer - worldwide.

That's a lot of countries. The only thing that has changed is a campaign by the US government to try a prevent Chinese communications technology leapfrogging US efforts and gaining tech influence.

In a word, protectionism.

Much of the rest of the world is basically saying 'tough luck'. They don't really care about who has telecommunications dominance unless it is them, and it isn't. They care about products and cost.

17 hours ago Donald Trump told the Spanish Prime Minister to ban Huawei. He was swiftly rebuffed and Pedro Sánchez made it clear that that wasn't going to happen.

Huawei is a couple of years ahead of the game in 5G. It would cost governments BILLIONS to change tack on Huawei at such a late stage. And, in spite of repeated requests, no evidence supporting the US claims has ever been provided. Not even to, erm, 'allies' who the US is spying on anyway! We know this for various reasons, not least Edward Snowden.

But that has nothing to do with Huawei anyway. 

That’s very funny.
    Funny?

Protectionism:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2019/01/30/the-shameful-persecution-of-huawei-by-americas-protectionist-class/

Technological Lead:

"Petty said that when it came to technology, Huawei "is a long way in front" – with Ericsson in second place and Nokia third."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/07/vodafone_huawei_ban/

"In spite of tensions with the US and its allies, Huawei is rapidly building a suite of AI offerings unmatched by any other company on the planet"

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/612914/chinas-huawei-has-big-ambitions-to-weaken-the-uss-grip-on-ai-leadership/

Cost:

https://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-5g-ban-could-cost-uk-economy-pound68bn

Snowden:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/02/26/huawei-the-us-security-accusation-of-our-5g-has-no-evidence-nothing/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26712564

https://www.politico.eu/article/huawei-telecoms-mobile-world-congress-fair-how-huawei-won-barcelona/

Rebuff (Spanish):

https://okdiario.com/economia/trump-pide-espana-que-penalice-huawei-sanchez-lo-rechaza-ser-vital-telefonica-3955188

Funny? This is funny...

A few years ago you were bragging how the E.U. was going to beat the US in AI.  Now it’s Huawei.  The reality is really smart folks prefer to move to countries where both freedom and the ability to make decent money without being taxed to death.  That doesn’t describe either China or the E.U.  Folks in the E.U. make less and are taxed more and at the end of the day that results in a brain drain that is positive for the US.  Same for China except the tax is on thoughts.
    A few years ago I said the EU was planning to build its own processors and was/is actually doing it as I write. First in HPC.

Please quote me. Let's see what you come up with.

Anyway, here is a link that will keep you up to date on everything:

http://eurohpc.eu

You know next to nothing about the EU. Have you ever lived here?
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 71 of 139
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    Just so I'm clear...

Got it.

Actually, you did.
    Only in that imaginary world of yours -- where yesterday's technology is the way of the future
  • Reply 72 of 139
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Not a nice read here.

That was very nice spin.   But do you have an actual argument?
  • Reply 73 of 139
    nht said:
    tmay said:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3005407/us-seeks-freeze-out-huawei-europe-using-rule-law-argument

"The US is engaged in a global campaign to keep Chinese tech companies out of advanced 5G networks promising faster connections, enabling uses such as autonomous vehicles and remote surgery. American officials fear that the Chinese government may force companies such as Huawei to incorporate software code or hardware that would allow Beijing to spy on the US or allies and disrupt sectors ranging from power to transport and manufacturing in a crisis."

“The most fundamental security standard, really, is that you cannot have this extrajudicial, non-rule of law compliant process where a government can tell its companies to do something,” Strayer said on Monday.

and,

"Australia, New Zealand and Japan have acceded to US requests to bar Huawei’s 5G equipment. Those allies have also banded together to provide aid to the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea so that they would reject a Huawei submarine cable carrying broadband connections, saying the line represents a national security threat at its connection point in Australia."

This is absolutely about national security, and not about "protectionism"; the U.S. doesn't have any existing 5G telecom manufacturers, relying instead on the marketplace. Unfortunately for Huawei, those CCP and Chinese Government Connections as well as the legal system that is beholden to the CCP, all are high risks for Western Liberal Governments. 
    A foreign country who has never attacked us might, maybe, sometime in the future ask one of their companies to reveal U.S. secretes and that company might, maybe do so in that hypothetical future and might maybe not reveal anything to any of their valued customers in the U.S. -- and that constitutes irrefutable proof that they are spies...   

Meanwhile asking a country who was in the process of attacking us to expand their attack into cyber warfare in order to over turn our election is not collusion.

Got it.
    They have attacked us.  Read history genius.  PLA units directly attacked US units in the Korean War.
    And, England attacked us...   So we should stop buying anything from England?

• Reply 74 of 139
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Not a nice read here.

Not spin.

Just China taking grabbing a couple of Canadians with the intention of effecting the Meng Wanzhou extradition hearing that will decide whether Canada hands over Meng to the U.S. on charges of selling U.S. technology, and other banned technology, to the Iranians.

As if the finding that Canada's Canola shipment was substandard, and all orders subsequently canceled, wasn't enough of a message to Canada.

edited April 2019
  • Reply 75 of 139
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Not a nice read here.

That's China, not Huawei. Should I make similar comparisons between Guantanamo and Apple?
    Huawei is deeply involved in providing technology for China's surveillance state, in fact, you even argued that through your constant bragging about Huawei's server, AI and communications technology, which, as in the example that I posted about Pakistan, and the African Union, seems ripe for foreign intelligence gathering.

That article that you posted about Ren had numerous paragraphs referring to stolen IP and Huawei's deep connections to the Chinese Government.

As one of the other posters noted, you seem to have given up on the EU, and have decided to throw in with China and Huawei, your "team" as I have noted in the past.
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 76 of 139
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Not a nice read here.

Huawei is deeply involved in providing technology for China's surveillance state, in fact, you even argued that through your constant bragging about Huawei's server, AI and communications technology, which, as in the example that I posted about Pakistan, and the African Union, seems ripe for foreign intelligence gathering.

That article that you posted about Ren had numerous paragraphs referring to stolen IP and Huawei's deep connections to the Chinese Government.

As one of the other posters noted, you seem to have given up on the EU, and have decided to throw in with China and Huawei, your "team" as I have noted in the past.
    I posted the LA Times article because it was a balanced, US perspective and a fairly complete overview.

Of course it mentions allegations. The allegations exist but they are just that -allegations.

I have no idea what you mean with 'giving up on the EU'.

The EU decided to develop its own tech precisely to have less dependence on outside technology. The end result will be less income and influence for the US.

Just today Trump has been threatening the EU:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-brexit-twitter-eu-article-50-extension-delay-trade-a8864536.html

Nice way to treat your allies!

However, you can't develop your own tech overnight. It takes years but the ball is rolling - just like I said. Follow it at the link above.

As for providing technology to government. Woo Hoo! Welcome to the real world. Huawei provides technology to many governments. It's business! Yes, it has a division within HiSilicon developing AI assisted silicon for image recognition. That can have all manner of uses - including military.

The point is it can also be used to grant your grandmother access to your home!

It isn't the technology, but how it is used and it isn't as if there isn't a very long list of domestic US companies doing the exact same thing!  It's normal.

But, as for 5G chips, it looks like Huawei has capacity reserved at TSMC:

https://digitimes.com/news/a20190411PD209.html
    edited April 2019
  • Reply 77 of 139
    nht said:
    tmay said:

and,

Got it.

If England was constantly attacking us in cyberspace today then yes.

In any case you stated that they have never attacked us which is false.  I don’t think that even the Russians have attacked us directly with regular army units.  “Contractors” and “individual volunteers” yes.  Soviet divisions?  No.
    edited April 2019 tmay
  • Reply 78 of 139
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Not a nice read here.

I posted the LA Times article because it was a balanced, US perspective and a fairly complete overview.

Of course it mentions allegations. The allegations exist but they are just that -allegations.

I have no idea what you mean with 'giving up on the EU'.

The EU decided to develop its own tech precisely to have less dependence on outside technology. The end result will be less income and influence for the US.

Just today Trump has been threatening the EU:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-brexit-twitter-eu-article-50-extension-delay-trade-a8864536.html

Nice way to treat your allies!

However, you can't develop your own tech overnight. It takes years but the ball is rolling - just like I said. Follow it at the link above.

As for providing technology to government. Woo Hoo! Welcome to the real world. Huawei provides technology to many governments. It's business! Yes, it has a division within HiSilicon developing AI assisted silicon for image recognition. That can have all manner of uses - including military.

The point is it can also be used to grant your grandmother access to your home!

It isn't the technology, but how it is used and it isn't as if there isn't a very long list of domestic US companies doing the exact same thing!  It's normal.

But, as for 5G chips, it looks like Huawei has capacity reserved at TSMC:

https://digitimes.com/news/a20190411PD209.html
    You seem unaware that Sweden (Ericsson), and Finland (Nokia), also have current 5G telecom technology that is available, yet you constantly push Huawei.

As for uses of technology, I would be hard pressed to find a more oppressive society than China, but again, that's something that you appear to ignore.

Again, using Trump's own words is not a reliable indication of U.S. policy.

The dude likely has early stage dementia.

edited April 2019
  • Reply 79 of 139
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Not a nice read here.

Not spin.

Just China taking grabbing a couple of Canadians with the intention of effecting the Meng Wanzhou extradition hearing that will decide whether Canada hands over Meng to the U.S. on charges of selling U.S. technology, and other banned technology, to the Iranians.

As if the finding that Canada's Canola shipment was substandard, and all orders subsequently canceled, wasn't enough of a message to Canada.

Yeh, spin....
    After the stunt the U.S. pulled with Canada as an accomplish, I think Canada got off kind of lucky.

But, now enough "WhatAboutIsm" and distraction.  We were talking about Huawei.
  • Reply 80 of 139
    nht said:
    nht said:
    tmay said:

and,

Got it.

If England was constantly attacking us in cyberspace today then yes.

In any case you stated that they have never attacked us which is false.  I don’t think that even the Russians have attacked us directly with regular army units.  “Contractors” and “individual volunteers” yes.  Soviet divisions?  No.
    LOL....  You stated China helped a country we were at war with 70 years ago and used that as justification that we should never do business with them again.   I merely pointed out that another country quite literally invaded us, burned our capital, and yet you think that is of no importance or relevance.   It seems you are cherry picking the justification for who you have chosen as an enemy.

It's a problem with many ideologues:   They come up with the conclusion first and then look for something to justify that conclusion.