'iPhone XI,' 'iPhone XI Max' renders suggest little difference from iPhone XS family other...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    sdw2001 said:
    tht said:
    sdw2001 said:
    I own an XS Max.  It's by far the best phone Apple has made.  My wife has an XR, which is great as well.  The problem with a refresh like this is it gives virtually zero reason to upgrade, even on the upgrade program.  
    You have less than one year old phones. There isn’t any reason for you two to upgrade. Even 2017 model owners don’t have much reason to upgrade. Maybe the 2016 model owners, but they can get a new battery and be fine too.

I don’t really need to upgrade. On the other hand, I may anyway if I’m on the upgrade program. Recently I’ve been getting a new phone every year because it makes sense to do it.   There has been enough difference in the yearly models to justify it.  This appears different.  
    I’m envious that you can or make it a practice of getting a new phone every year. That’s great if you can do it.

But the 2019 models will basically be the same as every other succeeding iPhone model in years past. They’ll have the same order of feature improvements that models years past have had. The same reasons that had for getting a each new model will still apply.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sdw2001 said:
    I own an XS Max.  It's by far the best phone Apple has made.  My wife has an XR, which is great as well.  The problem with a refresh like this is it gives virtually zero reason to upgrade, even on the upgrade program.  
    My prediction:   Apple will release this rather minor upgrade to the Xs line with a price cut of some sort (or possibly hold the price steady but provide improved specs and/or discounts through third party sellers like Amazon.)

But to fend off the howls of outrage from the media and loyalists, they will announce a 5G for the coming months after September.  It will be expensive with great specs and will be the jewel in the iPhone lineup.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    wood1208 said:
    iPhones 11 will have plenty to offer. A13, tipple(double for XR) back cameras, upgraded front camera,WiFi 6, BT 5.1.x, peer-to-peer wireless charging, etc.
    Yawn...  Oh!  Excuse me!   Yes, that's nice.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    If the camera is going to look like that it better be worth it.
    I thought about this a few times over the past several days since the other story broke with the metal Mockups.  And my thought has been, I rarely look at the rear on my iPhone 8+.  It really matters little to me what the camera bump looks like.  What matters is the camera’s capabilities.  Really, that’s it. 
    Completely agree with the comments on people whining about the camera bump. 99% of people have a case - so the bump is irrelevant, and the only time I look at the back of my phone is if I pick it up backwards or if I have to clean it. But then, I quit worrying about whether my phone was making the right fashion statement years ago. I suppose some people are worried more about how it looks than how well it works.
    GeorgeBMacbb-15
  • Reply 25 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    apple ][ said:
    DAalseth said:
    Could not agree more. Literally. I have an iPhone SE that I carry in my front pocket and a 10.5 inch iPad Pro, so I completely get what you're saying. The thing is, as is often pointed out, I immediately put whatever device I have in a case. Poof, bump gone, razor thinness gone. 
    We might have the same devices, but I guess we have a different philosophy when it comes to cases, because my devices are always naked. Sometimes I don't even notice the SE in my front pocket. I like the smooth, cold metal touch of being in direct contact with my phone or whichever device I'm using.

I can understand the need for some people to use cases though, depending on their job, or what they do with their phone, to each their own. Choice is good. If I was for example in Afghanistan on a special mission, hunting down terrorists, I'd probably put my phone in some sort of heavy duty case.
    For the SE I can understand that. I'm just paranoid enough to put it in a case anyway. For the iPad Pro though, I need something to act as a stand and to carry my Apple Pencil. A case fills the bill on both. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 26 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    DAalseth said:
    apple ][ said:
    I don't even own one of the newer iPhones, I still have an iPhone SE and it works great for me, I love the tiny size, and it fits great in my front pocket, which is where I like to keep my phone and the SE still works smoothly.

But, I don't get all of the whining and moaning about camera bumps and how the camera looks when newer phones come out. Those people are almost as annoying as the people who whine about thinness. If they want a fat phone, then go travel back in time, and they'll get their ignorant wish. Progress is not going to cease, based on the desires and outdated, perverse thoughts of a few cavemen.

Phones have completely eliminated the need for owning a personal camera for the average person, as smart phone cameras are that good now and have been for quite some time now.

So what if a phone has a camera bump, if that means that the camera is better?

The people who whine about bumps should be offered a model without the bump and with a far inferior camera. And those who prefer the best camera possible can choose the model with the bump. I know which one I'd choose. I don't care about a tiny bump, if it means a more advanced or better quality camera, which results in better photos. I think that the people who whine about the bump are full of crap, and almost everybody would choose the superior camera model.

I don't have any bump on my SE, but my iPad Pro 10.5 has a slight camera bump, and it doesn't bother me at all, since the camera is good and there are zero disadvantages to having the small bump. The advantage to the bump is obvious.

One of the areas that will continue to be improved on iPhones, is to continue to make the camera better and better, and if that means a bump or a multi lense configuration, then big freaking deal. Bring it on.

Could not agree more. Literally. I have an iPhone SE that I carry in my front pocket and a 10.5 inch iPad Pro, so I completely get what you're saying. The thing is, as is often pointed out, I immediately put whatever device I have in a case. Poof, bump gone, razor thinness gone. 
    I upgraded to an Xr and really like it. I've used a simple clear case on all my iPhones. Not but a couple days after buying the Xr, I was taking a photo, and dropped it on concrete. It bounced off the case, no damage. I said to myself, "well, that case just paid for itself." iPhones are beautiful, and I hate the idea of a case (and it lets it lie flat on its back without teeter tottering too) but it is, after all, essentially a piece of glass.

If Apple is looking for things to work on, maybe add some sort of lens cap. My iPhone lives in my pocket, and I've often wondered just how much that degrades the lens quality with lint scratches. My iPhone 4's camera because essentially worthless because of that.

Oh yeah, and stop taking screen shots when I just want to squeeze to turn off the screen. 
  • Reply 27 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member

If the camera is going to look like that it better be worth it.
    I thought about this a few times over the past several days since the other story broke with the metal Mockups.  And my thought has been, I rarely look at the rear on my iPhone 8+.  It really matters little to me what the camera bump looks like.  What matters is the camera’s capabilities.  Really, that’s it. 
    To you. Apple however, has always been obsessed about what their products look like, even inside. People will ask, "what the hell happened at Apple? This company is now doooooomed....."
  • Reply 28 of 34
    No way I’m buying that ugly phone 
  • Reply 29 of 34
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    eightzero said:
    DAalseth said:
    apple ][ said:
    I don't even own one of the newer iPhones, I still have an iPhone SE and it works great for me, I love the tiny size, and it fits great in my front pocket, which is where I like to keep my phone and the SE still works smoothly.

But, I don't get all of the whining and moaning about camera bumps and how the camera looks when newer phones come out. Those people are almost as annoying as the people who whine about thinness. If they want a fat phone, then go travel back in time, and they'll get their ignorant wish. Progress is not going to cease, based on the desires and outdated, perverse thoughts of a few cavemen.

Phones have completely eliminated the need for owning a personal camera for the average person, as smart phone cameras are that good now and have been for quite some time now.

So what if a phone has a camera bump, if that means that the camera is better?

The people who whine about bumps should be offered a model without the bump and with a far inferior camera. And those who prefer the best camera possible can choose the model with the bump. I know which one I'd choose. I don't care about a tiny bump, if it means a more advanced or better quality camera, which results in better photos. I think that the people who whine about the bump are full of crap, and almost everybody would choose the superior camera model.

I don't have any bump on my SE, but my iPad Pro 10.5 has a slight camera bump, and it doesn't bother me at all, since the camera is good and there are zero disadvantages to having the small bump. The advantage to the bump is obvious.

One of the areas that will continue to be improved on iPhones, is to continue to make the camera better and better, and if that means a bump or a multi lense configuration, then big freaking deal. Bring it on.

I upgraded to an Xr and really like it. I've used a simple clear case on all my iPhones. Not but a couple days after buying the Xr, I was taking a photo, and dropped it on concrete. It bounced off the case, no damage. I said to myself, "well, that case just paid for itself." iPhones are beautiful, and I hate the idea of a case (and it lets it lie flat on its back without teeter tottering too) but it is, after all, essentially a piece of glass.

If Apple is looking for things to work on, maybe add some sort of lens cap. My iPhone lives in my pocket, and I've often wondered just how much that degrades the lens quality with lint scratches. My iPhone 4's camera because essentially worthless because of that.

Oh yeah, and stop taking screen shots when I just want to squeeze to turn off the screen. 
    You don't need to worry about scratches. The cover "glass" is Sapphire.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/4/13160180/apple-iphone-sapphire-camera-lens-analysis
    GeorgeBMacbb-15
  • Reply 30 of 34
    dinoonedinoone Posts: 73member
    It could be worse: there could be a correspondent race to improve the microphone. Can you imagine the growing protuberances?
  • Reply 31 of 34
    M68000M68000 Posts: 726member
    Please excuse me for not being up on this - but what does having 3 cameras give you that 2 cameras does not ?
  • Reply 32 of 34
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    M68000 said:
    Please excuse me for not being up on this - but what does having 3 cameras give you that 2 cameras does not ?
    3 lenses.

Cell phone cameras do not have a mechanically zooming lens. Zooming is accomplished by simply enlarging and cropping the image; no different than taking a full picture and editing it afterwards with editing software. This works, but the resolution and quality suffer. You can see this when you maximally zoom in. Dual lens cameras have a regular and a telephoto lens and digitally combine the image from the two so they function as one from the user’s perspective. Adding a 3rd lens would theoretically improve on this by letting you have a wide angle, a 2x and maybe a 5x zoom lens.

Here’s a review of a compact camera that takes this concept to the extreme: https://gearpatrol.com/2018/09/18/light-l16-compact-camera-review/#3
  • Reply 33 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Apple could of made the notch noticeably smaller by placing the earpiece just above the display, like some Android manufactures already have. 
    edited April 2019