Editorial: Apple Card invites you to join a premium, private club

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    I just re-read what I asked previously...edited to clarify what I meant below:

corrections said:
    Yes, that's also what Apple Pay does. Each time you use it a new account number is provided. So merchants can't track your purchases by card number either, and if that number gets mishandled its not usable again to charge up new purchases. That's why merchants/banks agree to lower fees, because there's less chance of fraud.
    Do the other physical credit cards out there (not the physical Apple Card) that have tap to pay built-in also generate a new account number?

I’m wondering if those tap to pay cards are really at least as secure as Apple Pay. 

• Reply 42 of 45
    RocwurstRocwurst Posts: 60member
    I’m wondering if those tap to pay cards are really at least as secure as Apple Pay. 
    No, regular tap-to-pay cards do not send one-off tokens so they are not as secure.

However, it is even worse than that as regular cards don't require a pin code to be entered (or biometric authentication) to submit a payment. All a malicious agent needs to do is walk around with an NFC terminal hidden under their jacket and they can bump against people's wallet pockets all day racking up fraudulent purchases completely unbeknownst to the card holders.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Rocwurst said:
    What I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is whether transactions paid for with a tap of your wrist using Apple Pay on your Apple Watch will show up in the lovely new Wallet app financial graphics and data on your iPhone?  

Currently Apple Watch Apple Pay transactions do not show in the Wallet app on your iPhone unlike if you pay with a tap of the iPhone which is quite frustrating.
    I hope this will happen because I much prefer to tap with Apple Watch ⌚️ but those transactions don’t show up in wallet. 
  • Reply 44 of 45
    So now we should trust that Apple will keep not only all of our personal data safe, but also all our financial information safe. How can we know that they are really not sharing this data? I prefer more ethical mobile OS like what the eFoundation is offering. Knowing that your data is private is better than trusting some company. By the way Apple is not so private. https://e.foundation/privacy-facts/