Apple debuts new $5999 Mac Pro with up to 28-core Xeon processors

Comments

• Reply 161 of 420
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Will the 6 core or 28 core hold its value better over the years?
  • Reply 162 of 420
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    ElCapitan said:
    So it took them 7 years to develop a 1.4 kW PSU?
    This project didn't begin 7 years ago. It began 2.5 years ago
    Yeah, well, they had to go through the 5 stages over everyone hating the trash can. That takes a few years...

In any case, if they had continued the original cheese grater and kept updating it without the detour via the insane trash can, the result could have ended up exactly the same without alienating and to a large extend losing their professional user base.  

They could even have ended up with a dual processor system, like the original grater, which would have been an even better position to be in. 
  • Reply 163 of 420
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Will the 6 core or 28 core hold its value better over the years?
    There is a competition that's going on between Intel and AMD, which who can put more cores on their products.  Can't bet on that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 164 of 420
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Begs the question: What happens if someone pops in a pair of NVIDIA Titan RTX GPUs into this chrome monstrosity? Will Apple allow NVIDIA graphics drivers to live in their AMD centric world? If not, that kind of puts a damper on future upgradability. RTX hardware ray traces six times faster than non-RTX GPUs, all other things being equal.
    Yes, good question - I run an outboard Cubix box that handles non-flashed Nvidia cards just fine via a 16x PCIe card - hopefully that'll slot straight in. So even if I can't have CUDA inside, I should be able to use it outside. Hoping!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 165 of 420
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    sflocal said:
    jSnively said:
    The enthusiasts complaining about this machine are justified. The people pointing out that this machine is for an extremely niche and specific market are also correct.

IMO Apple messed up here, and they're going to get a lot of crap for it. This is a form factor that could, and should, have scaled to make multiple market segments happy. Instead Apple went as far to the extreme end as they could, to the exclusion of the middle road, and completely priced out individuals.The enthusiasts just wanted an expandable i7 with like 16-64GB of RAM and a good GPU they could upgrade. That should have been possible with this design.

Feels like a swing and a miss to me. Apple is either completely out of touch with the enthusiast market, or it might be time for the enthusiast market to give up on Apple. I think they probably sold a fair amount of PCs today.

Also, I know it's personal preference but man is that thing ugly. Can Ive stop trying to make every Apple product look like a Braun appliance from the 60s and 70s?
    I will trust Apple's opinion of what's more in demand that any tech blog.  I remember an article - on AI - about Apple approaching the professional community for their input on what the next Mac Pro should be like.  Well... that community has asked, and Apple responded.  That community does NOT represent the vocal minority that believe Apple should invest millions of dollars to develop a middle-tier, expandable i7 or i9-based Mac Pro.  Not going to happen.

I suspect (i.e. "guess") that this machine will sell well, and even then - folks here will still be whining about why Apple isn't listening to these so-called self-titled evangelists.  

I think the starting price is competitively priced for what one gets, except for the haters that think an i7/i9 is in the same class as a Xeon processor.
    Oh please, Apple didn't ask the professional community. They asked a couple guys at Pixar. 
    They hobnobbed with the ultra elites and delivered. 

Who's going to pump $10-$15k on a proprietary generation 1 untested system with a company that is in flux with their roadmap and enough cash to make bad decisions. 

It's the EXACT same thing when the trashcan came out... and the EXACT same people saying the EXACT same thing and guess what... the cheerleaders were wrong and the naysayers were right by Apple's own admission. 

It's an extremely kick-ass ultra elite beautiful power horse... that doesn't make any sense to the average pro user that wants an expandable, affordable roadmap - which Apple isn't offering with any of their lineup right now. 

jSnively is absolutely correct. 
    jSnivelydysamoria
  • Reply 166 of 420
    I still can't believe people are complaining about the price. I swear not one of you has ever worked in a business that relies on computers to get work done (specifically creative work). Especially if you've got a deadline to meet for a client or they want to see a demo in person.
    The only way Apple could have made it cheaper would have been to make it incapable of powering the higher-end CPU and GPUs. The $5999 base configuration is a bargain, about $1000 cheaper than the equivalent HP Z4.

Is the CPU socketed? I missed that, and haven't noticed anyone mentioning it.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 167 of 420
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    KidGloves said:
    Looks amazing though I would like to see how the likely crippled $5999 version compares to similar PC workstations. I can't help thinking that the Apple Tax is back with a bang. The stuff looks like it's fantastically engineered (probably over the top for 90%). Anyone want to guess how much RAM the $5999 version will ship with?
    We're talking a base version that's DOUBLE the price of the current base. That's a big jump in anyone's book.
    An HP Z4 with the last-generation (=Skylake) 8 Core Xeon-W (i.e., W-2145) with 1000W chassis, 2x10Gb Ethernet, 32 GB (4x8) of RAM, 256 GB NVMe SSD, and AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 with 8 GB is $6965.

So that thinking is wrong. 
    Yah, but HP has a line all the way down and not tied to just 1 video card. 
    avon b7
  • Reply 168 of 420
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    I still can't believe people are complaining about the price. I swear not one of you has ever worked in a business that relies on computers to get work done (specifically creative work). Especially if you've got a deadline to meet for a client or they want to see a demo in person.
    What business doesn't rely on computers to get work done these days?
    avon b7dysamoria
  • Reply 169 of 420
    I love it but it is priced out of my league. I have owned MacPros since they came out, switched to an iMac and now a Mac Mini. I'm disappointed they can't come in a price range under 3K. This truly is a computer for the 1%.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 170 of 420
    bitmod said:
    KidGloves said:
    Looks amazing though I would like to see how the likely crippled $5999 version compares to similar PC workstations. I can't help thinking that the Apple Tax is back with a bang. The stuff looks like it's fantastically engineered (probably over the top for 90%). Anyone want to guess how much RAM the $5999 version will ship with?
    We're talking a base version that's DOUBLE the price of the current base. That's a big jump in anyone's book.
    An HP Z4 with the last-generation (=Skylake) 8 Core Xeon-W (i.e., W-2145) with 1000W chassis, 2x10Gb Ethernet, 32 GB (4x8) of RAM, 256 GB NVMe SSD, and AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 with 8 GB is $6965.

So that thinking is wrong. 
    Yah, but HP has a line all the way down and not tied to just 1 video card. 
    But this was a response to someone using the term "Apple Tax" -- it wasn't addressing your comments.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 171 of 420
    icodewellicodewell Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    PRO: the new Mac Pro is KILLER in every way

CON: Apple has redefined what a "pro" user is by making a workstation specifically for organizations like Pixar. They left out pretty much every indie app developer, and that's a real shame. I still own a cheese grater Mac Pro. It was pricey but I could afford one. I can't afford this new one.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 172 of 420
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    icodewell said:

CON: Apple has redefined what a "pro" user is by making a workstation specifically for organizations like Pixar. They left out pretty much every indie app developer, and that's a real shame. I still own a cheese grater Mac Pro. It was pricey but I could afford one. I can't afford this new one.
    The new Mac mini doesn’t work for indie developers?
    davenroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 173 of 420
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    icodewell said:

Indie app developers don’t need this machine. A standard iMac, Mac Mini, or iMac Pro will do the job perfectly well. When it comes to pro audio and video, this machine is the beast it was meant to be.
    roundaboutnowwelshdogwatto_cobracityguide
  • Reply 174 of 420
    netrox said:
    Love how amateurs complain about the costs of Mac Pro... it's for Professionals making lots of money... not for amateurs living on a few hundreds. iMac Pro is for prosumers. Mac Pro is for professionals. iMac is for consumers (but they can do all the things that pros do but at a much slower speed). 
    "Space Normal Speed, Mr. Sulu..."🤣.  That's my budget too😀! And that's ok! This and the Pro Monitor look AWESOME! These tools are meant for serious professionals making serious coin enough to afford them. That ain't me, but I'm drooling as an excited onlooker.
    tenthousandthingsfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 175 of 420
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    sflocal said:

You are implying that this machine is meant for you when it is clearly not.  

There are perfectly acceptable solutions RIGHT NOW to accommodate less folks.  iMacs and iMac Pros, Mac Minis... they suit the other 98% just fine.  You're also implying that Apple will not evolve those current non-Pro desktop lines.  For all you know, the next iMac may have a 8-12-core CPU, or more...

Just stop.

You assume an awful lot.
    There is a significant market for a headless mac - not a throwaway iMac or laptop - that can handle cards and is user upgradeable and does not run vampire video (Intel integrated graphics).

Also, not every computer used in government, enterprise or education is supplied and subject to a tax write off.

Other than the FUGLY case (I own a cheesegrater and like that look), I mostly like the design but think the entry level is overkill for the market. And despite the comments otherwise, even enterprise and government buyers have budgets- believe me the hospital system where I work has one and this would be a very hard sell because of the per unit price. What would have been nice is a version with a less expensive CPU setup as a BTO option. I am quite sure a chunk of the price beyond Apple's usual price gouging is the Xeon CPU.

As to posters touting the Black iMac (not) Pro, there are plenty of workplaces that will not allow a camera and mike equipped all in one to be installed for security and privacy reasons.

There is a hole between the Mac mini and this new Mac Pro for a headless design. Repeat- headless and not using integrated graphics or an eGPU.
    ElCapitandysamoriachickchemengin1
  • Reply 176 of 420
    melgross said:

so who is a pro? Anyone who makes the majority of their income doing whatever it is in their field that they do. If you’re an event photographer, you definitely don’t need this. But if you’re shooting high end fashion, you probably do, if you’re successful at it.
    No. A professional is someone trained in a structured formal educational program, with a license, an ethics code and a continuing education program requirement.

A lawyer is a Pro, a doctor is a Pro, an engineer is a Pro. A video editor, compositor or composer is not.

I think you confuse enterprise, pro and high spec.
    edited June 2019 macplusplus
  • Reply 177 of 420
    rezwits said:
    Get this thru your head(s):  "You're NOT getting one!!", the soonest is eBay 2025!!  For $3500 haha, /s
    Judging by the current prices of the trashcan MacPro on fleabay, I think it will be more than that...
    Two months after this starts shipping, prices on ebay will crater. If not sooner.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 178 of 420
    tyler82 said:
    bitmod said:
    Apple missed the mark completely on this... completely. They custom designed a Mac Pro for Pixar... what about the rest of us? FFS...
    There’s the iMac Pro or a MacBook Pro connected to an LG UltraFine display.
    The laptops are inadequate because of the thermal limitations and Apple's war on ports. Nobody wants cables and wall warts everywhere.
    And the LG UltraFine- no thanks. I was looking at them recently. No deal.
    ElCapitandysamoria
  • Reply 179 of 420
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:
    So it took them 7 years to develop a 1.4 kW PSU?
    This project didn't begin 7 years ago. It began 2.5 years ago
    Yeah, well, they had to go through the 5 stages over everyone hating the trash can. That takes a few years...

In any case, if they had continued the original cheese grater and kept updating it without the detour via the insane trash can, the result could have ended up exactly the same without alienating and to a large extend losing their professional user base.  

They could even have ended up with a dual processor system, like the original grater, which would have been an even better position to be in. 
    Ooh look, an armchair engineer with 20/20 hindsight. 

May I see your portfolio of successful engineering and risk taking? Surely your professional career is flawless?
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 180 of 420
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    icodewell said:

The new Mac mini doesn’t work for indie developers?
    yes, it does
    fastasleepwatto_cobra