Apple plans cheaper iPhone for China with new Touch ID, claims iffy report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Supply chain sources claim Apple intends to make an exclusive China iPhone which will drop Face ID and instead use an under-the-screen fingerprint sensor.

A selection from Apple's iPhone range
A selection from Apple's iPhone range

Sources within the supply chain are claiming that Apple intends to launch a new iPhone that is cheaper and made exclusively for customers in China. Following Apple's falling sales in the region, it's said that Face ID will be dropped to save costs, and a form of Touch ID using a new fingerprint sensor under the screen will be used.

China's Global Times says that sources claim the move is likely to "save on costs" and that omitting Face ID will be a significant saving. Reportedly the structured laser technology that is a significant component of Face ID, costs several hundred yuan. (Currently 100 yuan is the equivalent of $15.)

"Only Apple can afford [that]," the Global Times source said, "but that would also affect its sales."

It would not be the first time that Apple has made a modified iPhone for the Chinese market -- the company produced a dual-SIM model for the region. Former Apple advisors have also previously urged the company to make a China-specific iPhone.

This is the first time a specific rumor has surfaced, however, and there has been no supporting claim from the generally accurate analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. The Global Times has a poor track record on predicting Apple's plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    That'd be a great name for one of these Apple Analysts ... 'Iffy"
  • Reply 2 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Make the same model for the people’s republic of me.  I’d like that same model.  I’m a fan of TouchID.  
    leftoverbaconCarnage
  • Reply 3 of 14
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Fake News.
    matrix077lkruppAppleExposed
  • Reply 4 of 14
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I call BS on this.
    matrix077
  • Reply 5 of 14
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    No Face ID and Touch ID under the screen may end with full display iPhone without the notch. Actually such model might sell more than all X series combined. It would be unfair to limit that model only to China.

Face ID is great.
    Is it a breakthrough: YES
    Is it implemented perfectly: YES
    Is it more secure: YES if kept away from kids and siblings .
    Is it a need: NO
    Is it for the masses: NO

Apple has managed to bury Face ID into the small bezels of the new iPad Pro. Two bezels of that width, top and bottom might be preferred to a bezel-less but almost-full display with a notch on an iPhone...

Apple has fortunately avoided that notch trap on the iPad Pro, couldn’t they make the iPad Pro smaller, removing all bezels to get almost-full display with a notch? They couldn’t go so far, an iPad Pro cannot tolerate such a compromise as the notch.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 6 of 14
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    No Face ID and Touch ID under the screen may end with full display iPhone without the notch. Actually such model might sell more than all X series combined. It would be unfair to limit that model only to China.

Face ID is great.

Apple has managed to bury Face ID into the small bezels of the new iPad Pro. Two bezels of that width, top and bottom might be preferred to a bezel-less but almost-full display with a notch on an iPhone...

Apple has fortunately avoided that notch trap on the iPad Pro, couldn’t they make the iPad Pro smaller, removing all bezels to get almost-full display with a notch? They couldn’t go so far, an iPad Pro cannot tolerate such a compromise as the notch.
    I wish people would stop obsessing over the notch. It’s so stupid and not worthy of all the attention and angst it gets. Apple can’t go completely bezel free on the iPad otherwise how would you hold the thing?
    matrix077doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Could this finally be an update for the long neglected small form factor iPhone SE??? This gives me hope.
    eriamjh
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Could this finally be an update for the long neglected small form factor iPhone SE??? This gives me hope.
    And Jesus is coming back soon too. Any day now.
    eriamjhdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 14
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member

Face ID is great.

I wish people would stop obsessing over the notch. It’s so stupid and not worthy of all the attention and angst it gets. Apple can’t go completely bezel free on the iPad otherwise how would you hold the thing?
    Holding the iPad? God forbid... According to Apple Marketing we must use the iPad always in landscape mode, on a desk, and with Smart Folio Keyboard.  >:)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I believe that the current price of the iPhones is simply too high for a large portion of the market. A lot of lower income people get a "fee" iPhone via their carrier, basically paying it off over 2 or 3 years, But that approach favors other phone makers. A less expensive iPhone (probably with a plastic caesura and no FaceID makes as much sense for the US market as well as China and a lot of other countries. There should be no issue having a cheaper processor as Apple would dimply use the previous version of the Ax processor, A13 announced in September then the plastic model would have the A12, or A11. As for the SE - don't screw that up. It needs to have the design and component standards of the XR - just in a size that fits well in smaller hands. Apple has lefty the SE to become the "Cheap iPhone" instead of the most comfortable iP}hone for millions. FaceID will open up a huge amount of display space, making it even more desirable. Maybe name that the XL.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 11 of 14
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Just make an SE sized iPhone and be done with it.

What the f is up with Apple ignoring the small form factor?
    macplusplus
  • Reply 12 of 14
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    If anybody at Apple reads these comments please know that many many people are unwilling to register their faces into a phone and are REALLY HAPPY WITH TOUCHID and have been holding out waiting for Apple to come up with a new Touch ID phone. Rumors of under the screen Touch ID models coming up have been received very favorably by many like myself.

I’ll most probably buy an iPhone 8 for this reason and wait it out until 2020 or 2021 whenever it may be Apple launches such models. If they don’t and iPhone 8 becomes obsolete than I’ll consider moving out of Apple.

It actually feels that Apple is losing its Soul and walking towards a self-destructive John Sculley type period, more so with the man that was Jobs spirit carrier getting out of the company. Believe you me, Johnny Ive’s exit is unthinkable, he was almost chosen to be the CEO, if he’s moved out it’s cos he’s disagreeing with the way things are heading at Apple. This company needs a genius at its helm, someone who can feel the Soul of people, not an executive like Sculley that Microsofts the company.

I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS! Touch ID!
    macplusplus
  • Reply 13 of 14
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    xamax said:
    If anybody at Apple reads these comments please know that many many people are unwilling to register their faces into a phone

Are you confusing iPhone with Android?

Your face never leaves the iPhone.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    kenaustus said:
    I believe that the current price of the iPhones is simply too high for a large portion of the market. A lot of lower income people get a "fee" iPhone via their carrier, basically paying it off over 2 or 3 years, But that approach favors other phone makers. A less expensive iPhone (probably with a plastic caesura and no FaceID makes as much sense for the US market as well as China and a lot of other countries. There should be no issue having a cheaper processor as Apple would dimply use the previous version of the Ax processor, A13 announced in September then the plastic model would have the A12, or A11. As for the SE - don't screw that up. It needs to have the design and component standards of the XR - just in a size that fits well in smaller hands. Apple has lefty the SE to become the "Cheap iPhone" instead of the most comfortable iP}hone for millions. FaceID will open up a huge amount of display space, making it even more desirable. Maybe name that the XL.
    I get my iPhones through the iPhone Upgrade Program and pay installments.. does this qualify me as low income?

Also how is paying something off over time qualify it as free? TMobile allows customers to get new phones multiple times a year as long as half of the price of the phone has been paid if that is what the customer wants.

iPhone SE was the cheap alternative when it was first released... it hasn't become anything?  What the hell are you even talking about? Your post was just confusing..

Personally the SE feels like a toy in my hands much like an Ipod touch.  I would like to see the prices come down a bit, but not so low it calls for cheap parts and missing features?  Why not just buy a capable older model?