'SiriOS' predicted for 2020 WWDC - here's what it might be

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    I’ll say this again (and I’m repeating another’s ideas) Apple should be using Siri in as many corporate systems as they can.  For instance, they should have a standardized Siri handling their voice automated phones and using AI to process the requests from the caller, if only to direct them to the appropriate human. Placing Siri front and center in those systems that are currently handled by the substandard voice systems they use now would guarantee that Siri would be world class.   It would also put to bed any doubt that Apple is, in any way, not serious about Siri. 

Siri also needs to become parallel enabled, capable of interfacing with other instances of Siri that are signed into the same iCloud id to parallel process requests, maybe even handing off the processing normally done on Apples servers to a local instance of Siri running on macOS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 57
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I think Apple it patching up current Siri to keep customers relatively satisfied. But the current Siri is a failure - and enough of this info on how this came to be has been covered by Apple in the past.
    SiriOS, or however they’re gonna market this, is most likely a completely redesigned  incarnation of Siri which technically has zero shared code with the current generation.
    Even if their new service is going to be ahead of Google, conversational interfaces still have a long way in becoming truly useful and human-like.
    neil anderson
  • Reply 23 of 57
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    i like it a lot, it rarely lets me down. i like being able to do the dishes and ask siri to message my wife or change the track. i enjoy being a lazy bast*rd and read on the sofa and have siri read my texts to me.

i know there are limitations, but it can really only get better.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 57
    mavismavis Posts: 25member
    Am I the only one who absolutely HATES this idea? For starters, I don't like the idea of having any voice assistant other than Siri in my house/life, due to the obvious (and well-documented) privacy concerns ... but even with Siri - good lord. It very rarely "just works," and it is consistently faster to simply pull my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, and just do whatever Siri was unable to accomplish. In fact, just this morning - 2nd gen AirPods in my ear and I said "hey Siri, make a FaceTime Audio call to my mom" and ... nothing happened. Pulled my iPhone X out of my pocket and tried it again. The dictation was fine (no errors) but all Siri managed was an irritatingly snarky "I'm on it" and then ... nothing. 

Utterly useless. 

I just ordered a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3s because I'm tired, after two years of AirPods, of having to turn my music up loud enough to drown out the outside world, and the only thing that actually have me pause was the lack of "Hey Siri" support. But if I really think about it, it's not much of a loss as Siri rarely works well, for me. I don't know, just my opinion. 
    davgreg
  • Reply 25 of 57
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    mpantone said:
    This is retarded. There isn’t going to be a SiriOS.

Mangrove doesn’t understand the fundamental purpose of an operating system.

An operating system is a big complicated program that lets other big complicated programs co-exist on the same system (platform). No one runs an operating system for the OS. You run it because it allows the programs you want to use live peacefully together.

macOS. An operating system for programs to co-exist on a Mac. iOS: for iPhone, iPod touch. tvOS. watchOS, iPadOS. See a pattern?

There is no Siri platform. Siri is not a platform or system. It is an interface, just like touch screens, keyboards, mice, trackpads, etc.

Unsurprisingly, Apple knows what an operating system is.
    Imagine SiriOS to function as a form of conscience that understood, for example, if an iOS app was unresponsive and a force quit and reopen was in order. Instead of Apple replying on the user to understand their predicament, be resourceful and act accordingly, SiriOS could immediately act, prompting the user with a simple pop up notification to act on or dismiss. Upon receiving consent SiriOS would complete the task for the user. Unrelated to Apple, imagine if your WIFI router knew to reset itself when the internet goes down. 
  • Reply 26 of 57
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    mavis said:
    Am I the only one who absolutely HATES this idea? For starters, I don't like the idea of having any voice assistant other than Siri in my house/life, due to the obvious (and well-documented) privacy concerns ... but even with Siri - good lord. It very rarely "just works," and it is consistently faster to simply pull my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, and just do whatever Siri was unable to accomplish. In fact, just this morning - 2nd gen AirPods in my ear and I said "hey Siri, make a FaceTime Audio call to my mom" and ... nothing happened. Pulled my iPhone X out of my pocket and tried it again. The dictation was fine (no errors) but all Siri managed was an irritatingly snarky "I'm on it" and then ... nothing. 

Utterly useless. 

I just ordered a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3s because I'm tired, after two years of AirPods, of having to turn my music up loud enough to drown out the outside world, and the only thing that actually have me pause was the lack of "Hey Siri" support. But if I really think about it, it's not much of a loss as Siri rarely works well, for me. I don't know, just my opinion. 

How is Siri working on those Sony headphones?
  • Reply 27 of 57
    mpantone said:

An operating system is a big complicated program that lets other big complicated programs co-exist on the same system (platform). No one runs an operating system for the OS. You run it because it allows the programs you want to use live peacefully together.

macOS. An operating system for programs to co-exist on a Mac. iOS: for iPhone, iPod touch. tvOS. watchOS, iPadOS. See a pattern?

There is no Siri platform. Siri is not a platform or system. It is an interface, just like touch screens, keyboards, mice, trackpads, etc.

Kinda closed-minded.

Why wouldn't a SiriOS work? I think developers could write cool programs for Siri.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 57
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    Seems a logical choice for HomePods and internet of things type devices. HomeKit stuff. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 29 of 57
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    How would this work in most of the normal typing environments?
    Say I sit close to the boss, something important needs to be written and a want to make sure my thoughts are clear before I discuss. 
    Even if just drafting bullet points, on a train. 
    Sexy text messages to the flame.

SiriOS needs and entirely private interface and is there anything remotely interesting in that space that could be commercial in 2 years.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    mattinoz said:
    How would this work in most of the normal typing environments?
    Say I sit close to the boss, something important needs to be written and a want to make sure my thoughts are clear before I discuss. 
    Even if just drafting bullet points, on a train. 
    Sexy text messages to the flame.

SiriOS needs and entirely private interface and is there anything remotely interesting in that space that could be commercial in 2 years.

In those cases you wouldn't need SiriOS.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    UKJUKJ Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It comes with voice gestures and voice shortcuts (human barking).
  • Reply 32 of 57
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    mpantone said:

Your right, and still Apple is in part responsible for this misunderstanding (apart from a complete lack of knowledge of course) because of the introduction of multiple ‘operating systems’ like ipadOS that are in-fact a flavor of the real operating system Darwin (which is based on Mach and BSD Unix)  that underpins it all. 
  • Reply 33 of 57
    knowitall said:
    Utter nonsense. Siri is at best ‘highly incapable’ at the moment.
    Its a really awkward read: investors becoming visionary all of a sudden.
    When pigs can fly.
    Incorrect. Siri is actually more accurate now than Alexa after recent upgrades by Apple.

LoupVentures reported recently that in their latest annual test of voice assistants, Siri's accuracy rate was 79% compared to Alexa on 61% and Cortana on just 52%.  Siri was only 7% behind the leader, Google Assistant on 86%.

And Siri is improving at a faster rate of 22% compared to only 7% for Google and 9% for Alexa.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    mavis said:

Utterly useless. 

He already told you if you read the entire post. Geez
  • Reply 35 of 57
    davgreg said:
    With universal Siri, all spoken requests would be in error.
    How very MacRumors, to be the first negative commenter in the thread. Many thanks for that, especially for us who escaped that den of trolls and their sycophantic followers.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    davgreg said:
    Maybe you should see a speech therapist instead.
    pscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Siri is an even bigger embarrassment than Apple Maps. The future of IT in the home, in the car and in many parts of the office is voice driven. Apple needs to go financially gangbusters on it and return to being an innovating company. They’ve done too little for too long. Fix it before it’s too late. 
  • Reply 38 of 57
    mavismavis Posts: 25member
    mavis said:

Utterly useless. 

No idea - they're not actually out yet. I don't expect it to be any worse (of course, the bar is admittedly pretty low) although I'll obviously have to initiate it from the iPhone. Supposedly the VC for calls is decent, so we'll see. Main thing is, I'm sick of listening to background noise. My WH-1000XM3s are awesome, but too hot to wear in the summer, so I'm stoked about getting that ANC tech in an IEM form factor. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 39 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mpantone said:

Imagine SiriOS to function as a form of conscience that understood, for example, if an iOS app was unresponsive and a force quit and reopen was in order. Instead of Apple replying on the user to understand their predicament, be resourceful and act accordingly, SiriOS could immediately act, prompting the user with a simple pop up notification to act on or dismiss. Upon receiving consent SiriOS would complete the task for the user. Unrelated to Apple, imagine if your WIFI router knew to reset itself when the internet goes down. 
    That’s just marketing, and nothing to do with Siri, or consciousness. What you’re asking for are more iOS OS-level features for improving reliability. It’s not clear what problems your example might cause in trying to solve that.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    lkrupp said:
    davgreg said:
    Maybe you should see a speech therapist instead.
    Blaming the user, how original.
    williamlondon