'SiriOS' predicted for 2020 WWDC - here's what it might be

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Rocwurst said:
    knowitall said:
    Utter nonsense. Siri is at best ‘highly incapable’ at the moment.
    Its a really awkward read: investors becoming visionary all of a sudden.
    When pigs can fly.
    Incorrect. Siri is actually more accurate now than Alexa after recent upgrades by Apple.

LoupVentures reported recently that in their latest annual test of voice assistants, Siri's accuracy rate was 79% compared to Alexa on 61% and Cortana on just 52%.  Siri was only 7% behind the leader, Google Assistant on 86%.

And Siri is improving at a faster rate of 22% compared to only 7% for Google and 9% for Alexa.

That difference between 79% and 86% seems small. Also one would expect Google’s to be improving at a slower rate because it’s already 7% higher on the scale than Apple. Were Apple not improving at a much higher rate it wouldn’t look good for Siri’s outlook.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Makes sense for potential AR glasses release....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 57
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    I have never had a major problem with basic requests. Like messaging, calling, weather, homekit, music, timers, reminders, calendar events, sports scores/schedules or stocks.

My bigger problem is the lack being a proper assistant and organizing my life behind the scenes. The AI and neural engine should learn my habits and just do tasks that I do over and over. If I message my wife daily at 5pm to say ‘I am heading home, do you need me to pick anything up’?  I should not have to create a shortcut or a geo location event. The phone/watch/Airpods should just prompt me. 

If I miss a call from an unknown caller, why doesnt Siri search the web for a matching phone number and tell me who it might be?

If I use skip the dishes every Friday night and order the same thing every Friday at 4:30pm... why isnt the AI doing this for me? 

If I take photos and I go in and auto edit every image, why isnt my phone auto editing them for me? 

I search for flights for specific dates 3 times a day for a month to check prices. Why doesnt my AI pick up on this and just check 3times a day for me till I say stop?

I mean there are endless examples of things the AI/Neural engine shd be doing in the background. We are creatures of habit. 

Siri for voice is one thing that works just fine for me. It is the actual assistant part that is non existent. This is where a SiriOS could really pick up the slack. A true assistant makes your life easier without you even knowing.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Seems to me, voice interface advocates are overstating the state of the technology.  They keep saying AI, AI, AI.  And yet Google has a battalion of linguists because AI is really too dumb to understand the spoken word.  Right now a lot of folks are saying "Oh wow, from the way it talks, it really sounds like it's a human being that's talking!" Sorry, sounding like a human is not the same as understanding like a human.

I suspect voice input will never ever be able to dispense with human intervention by 'rescue linguists' to correct all the comprehension mistakes that AI makes because context is very, very important in spoken (or even texted) conversation and context can never be grasped without a competent theory of mind.  

Beats me how a computer, no matter how powerful, can acquire a true and effective theory of mind.  That is, one that doesn't rely on rules formulated by linguists to correct mistakes (from previous conversations) made by the AI engine, but instead can competently deal with totally new conversational contexts.   But the AI rah-rah boys and girls seem to know everything, at least from the way they talk about the stuff they're working on.  So maybe all that wishful thinking will generate some mysterious Deepak Chopra style cosmic powers and alter reality to suddenly give silicon the ability to understand.
    edited July 2019 davgregStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 57
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    davgreg said:
    With universal Siri, all spoken requests would be in error.
    You must not use Siri much.  I use Siri everyday in my car, at my desk, on while about with iPhone.  Most of the time performs spot on.  Am using it now with HomePod, and for those who haven't yet jumped on the HomePod experience, you are missing out on terrific audio quality and a great Siri experience.  From controlling my HomeKit devices, to playing music/podcasts, making phone calls, sending texts, asking sports, weather, checking calendar and yes, setting timers, she does fantastic. In other words, Siri does what 99% of people actually use a smart speaker for.   Is getting even better with iOS 13 with recognizing separate voices. 
    StrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 57
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member

Wgkrueger said:
    tylerd said:
    Brian Roemmele has been preaching this for some time. Check out his Quora article for more insights:

He’s advocating a Voice First system. That’s an extremely narrow minded proposition that assumes speaking and more importantly hearing are equivalent to a young persons capabilities, ignoring those with hearing problems which we all are succumbing to. And voice input doesn’t work well in a group environment, excepting those on the bridge of the Enterprise. 
    Once you use a voice system regularly, you'll realize he is right.  That's the future, and present in some respects.  As far as hearing problems, technology is also taking care of that for many, but there will be legacy or parallel visual systems for those who can't hear or speak.  Apple, especially, has disability access a foundational element of every technology it develops. Just like privacy.  Two elements that set Apple apart.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Siri is an even bigger embarrassment than Apple Maps. The future of IT in the home, in the car and in many parts of the office is voice driven. Apple needs to go financially gangbusters on it and return to being an innovating company. They’ve done too little for too long. Fix it before it’s too late. 
    They've hired some speech/voice experts from Google and that should speed improvement. Apple is putting better resources behind it. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 48 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ireland said:
    Rocwurst said:
    knowitall said:
    When pigs can fly.
    Incorrect. Siri is actually more accurate now than Alexa after recent upgrades by Apple.

LoupVentures reported recently that in their latest annual test of voice assistants, Siri's accuracy rate was 79% compared to Alexa on 61% and Cortana on just 52%.  Siri was only 7% behind the leader, Google Assistant on 86%.

And Siri is improving at a faster rate of 22% compared to only 7% for Google and 9% for Alexa.

That difference between 79% and 86% seems small. Also one would expect Google’s to be improving at a slower rate because it’s already 7% higher on the scale than Apple. Were Apple not improving at a much higher rate it wouldn’t look good for Siri’s outlook.
    There are better metrics out there than Loop Ventures. 
  • Reply 49 of 57
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    ireland said:
    Rocwurst said:
    knowitall said:
    When pigs can fly.

Don't be fixated on the percentage, even 79% or 86% is extremely bad compared to human speech recognition. Its impossible to have a normal conversation with such a failure rate. It will only work when 99.99999% or better is recognized.
    But speech is highly ambiguous by nature and to achieve such a low failure rate means solving ‘hard AI’.
    This is because recognition of ambiguous input is based on ‘what info you expect’ (its context, as in meaning and syntax).
    So low level recognition is steered by high level context as described by Ray Kurtzweils excellent (but somewhat disturbing for some) book ‘How to Create a Mind’.

edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Rocwurst said:
    knowitall said:
    When pigs can fly.

Don't be fixated on the percentage, even 79% or 86% is extremely bad compared to human speech recognition. Its impossible to have a normal conversation with such a failure rate. It will only work when 99.99999% or better is recognized.
    But speech is highly ambiguous by nature and to achieve such a low failure rate means solving ‘hard AI’.
    This is because recognition of ambiguous input is based on ‘what info you expect’ (its context, as in meaning and syntax).
    So low level recognition is steered by high level context as described by Ray Kurtzweils excellent (but somewhat disturbing for some) book ‘How to Create a Mind’.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 51 of 57
    lkrupp said:
    davgreg said:
    Maybe you should see a speech therapist instead.
    Funny.
    I have often felt like that after a Siri session.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    mpantone said:
    This is retarded. There isn’t going to be a SiriOS.

Mangrove doesn’t understand the fundamental purpose of an operating system.

An operating system is a big complicated program that lets other big complicated programs co-exist on the same system (platform). No one runs an operating system for the OS. You run it because it allows the programs you want to use live peacefully together.

macOS. An operating system for programs to co-exist on a Mac. iOS: for iPhone, iPod touch. tvOS. watchOS, iPadOS. See a pattern?

There is no Siri platform. Siri is not a platform or system. It is an interface, just like touch screens, keyboards, mice, trackpads, etc.

Unsurprisingly, Apple knows what an operating system is.
    Imagine SiriOS to function as a form of conscience that understood, for example, if an iOS app was unresponsive and a force quit and reopen was in order. Instead of Apple replying on the user to understand their predicament, be resourceful and act accordingly, SiriOS could immediately act, prompting the user with a simple pop up notification to act on or dismiss. Upon receiving consent SiriOS would complete the task for the user. Unrelated to Apple, imagine if your WIFI router knew to reset itself when the internet goes down. 
    When Safari has a segmentation fault or runs out of memory it restarts (the page you are on) automatically and mentions this in the process.
    Right mouse click on an app icon and macOS indicates that it is unresponsive (most of the time when it is unresponsive) and suggests a ‘force quit’.
    ’Task manager’ indicates which apps are unresponsive ...

Its by the way possibly (Turing) ‘undecidable’ if an app is unresponsive and ‘stuck’ or just humming along churning its bits in a meaningful (be it time consuming) way.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 53 of 57
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Rocwurst said:
    Keep telling yourself that, but Siri just does not cut it.

Steve Jobs introduced Siri and has been dead a long time, but Siri is still the eternal beta.

My library has a number of music titles that are of live concerts in both video and audio only formats- both commercially released and offered via iTunes. Siri is so stupid that if you ask it to play that album while in the car, you get the response that it cannot play that video. That problem has persisted through multiple generations of iOS.

It is the audio version of egg freckles.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 54 of 57
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Notsofast said:
    davgreg said:
    You must not use Siri much. 

I have given it many chances- just like Apple Maps - to prove itself and it always disappoints. The native QNX voice recognition in my car works better than Siri- using the iPhone’s files no less.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamknowitall
  • Reply 55 of 57
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    mpantone said:
    This is retarded. There isn’t going to be a SiriOS.

Mangrove doesn’t understand the fundamental purpose of an operating system.

An operating system is a big complicated program that lets other big complicated programs co-exist on the same system (platform). No one runs an operating system for the OS. You run it because it allows the programs you want to use live peacefully together.

macOS. An operating system for programs to co-exist on a Mac. iOS: for iPhone, iPod touch. tvOS. watchOS, iPadOS. See a pattern?

There is no Siri platform. Siri is not a platform or system. It is an interface, just like touch screens, keyboards, mice, trackpads, etc.

Unsurprisingly, Apple knows what an operating system is.
    But if developers were able to write apps for Siri then....?
  • Reply 56 of 57
    gatorguy said:
    Siri is an even bigger embarrassment than Apple Maps. The future of IT in the home, in the car and in many parts of the office is voice driven. Apple needs to go financially gangbusters on it and return to being an innovating company. They’ve done too little for too long. Fix it before it’s too late. 
    They've hired some speech/voice experts from Google and that should speed improvement. Apple is putting better resources behind it. 
    Yeah, I’m confident they’re pretty on top of things!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Wgkrueger said:
    I’ll say this again (and I’m repeating another’s ideas) Apple should be using Siri in as many corporate systems as they can.  For instance, they should have a standardized Siri handling their voice automated phones and using AI to process the requests from the caller, if only to direct them to the appropriate human. Placing Siri front and center in those systems that are currently handled by the substandard voice systems they use now would guarantee that Siri would be world class.   It would also put to bed any doubt that Apple is, in any way, not serious about Siri. 

Siri also needs to become parallel enabled, capable of interfacing with other instances of Siri that are signed into the same iCloud id to parallel process requests, maybe even handing off the processing normally done on Apples servers to a local instance of Siri running on macOS. 
    This is a pretty excellent idea.
    watto_cobra