Apple now selling updated LG UltraFine 5K Display [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2019
Apple is selling a new version of the LG UltraFine 5K display at retail and online, with better speed from the USB-C ports, and more power deliverable to a host computer.

Update July 31, 10:00 A.M. Eastern time: While the original information we were provided said that the iPad Pro could connect at 5K resolution, clarification on Wednesday morning says that it cannot.

The display retains the previous model's 5,120-by-2,880 pixel resolution and supports the P3 color gamut. Three USB-C ports provide connectivity to downstream peripherals and can provide 94W of power to a host computer. Apple's existing 15-inch MacBook Pro requires 87W for charging.

A built-in FaceTime camera and microphone allows users to make FaceTime calls. The monitor also features built-in stereo speakers.

The LG UltraFine 5K display supports seamless macOS integration, allowing users to control both volume and brightness without physical buttons.

The new version of the LG UltraFine 5K display retails for $1299, the same as the original version that left Apple stores in May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    s8s8 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    8-bit or 10-bit color channels?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    No thunderbolt 3... Splendid 💩

Well anyway I'll buy one, nothing better is going to come out. 
    curtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    Well, it’s not as cool looking as the new Apple reference monitor, but it gets the job done. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Five seconds of checking this out on Apple's site reveals the monitor supports BOTH Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C 3.2.
    curtis hannahneo-techcaladaniancintosdysamoriaFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    An iPad Pro can output 5K?

I don't see a mention of 5K on Apple iPad Pro page. It just says:

"Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 4K through USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter (adapters sold separately)"

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    I hope this doesn’t mean Apple won’t produce a prosumer grade monitor again.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 121member
    The claim of the article doesn't seem physically possible.  The top speed of USB 3.2 is just 10 gigabits/second - half of what you need for even a 4K image, let alone a 5K one.  And you're not really gonna achieve a full 10 gigabits/second of data over USB 3.2.  Nor can I actually imagine an iPad with USB-C transferring at over a gigabyte/second.  My guess is they just thought it outputted 5K because the monitor supports 5K resolution.  Maybe it can output half resolution - 2,560 x 1,440 or so.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20

An iPad Pro can output 5K?

I don't see a mention of 5K on Apple iPad Pro page. It just says:

"Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 4K through USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter (adapters sold separately)"

jdiamond said:
    The claim of the article doesn't seem physically possible.  The top speed of USB 3.2 is just 10 gigabits/second - half of what you need for even a 4K image, let alone a 5K one.  And you're not really gonna achieve a full 10 gigabits/second of data over USB 3.2.  Nor can I actually imagine an iPad with USB-C transferring at over a gigabyte/second.  My guess is they just thought it outputted 5K because the monitor supports 5K resolution.  Maybe it can output half resolution - 2,560 x 1,440 or so.

Apple clearly stated the iPads pros supported 5k at the keynote announcement last year, though a compatible monitor did not exist until today.
    USB3.2 supports 20 gigabits per seconds, but that doesn’t matter, as it depends on what version of DisplayPort is supported, which if it’s 1.3 or higher, it’s 5k compatible.

Rayz2016neo-techcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    jdiamond said:

Alt modes on USB-C are a little different than straight bitrate. And, like Curtis Hannah above here said, Apple has promoted the iPad Pro as 5K, and said so on the stage.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 10 of 20
    It's also worth noting that, well, at least according to the Apple.com product page, the three downstream USB-C ports now support 5 Gbps speeds whereas the previous model had a baffling 480 Mbps available for each of the three ports. 
    neo-techwatto_cobracurtis hannah
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Eric_WVGG said:
    No thunderbolt 3... Splendid 💩

It does both, Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.2.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    iPad Pro 2018. I mean it's obvious from the article because "USB-C" but the teaser was a tease, for me, with an older iPad Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    ...is 5K Apple's 'bag of hurt'...?
    Yes some may definitely benefit, but 'for the rest of us'...?
    Let the flame wars begin...
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Eric_WVGG said:
    No thunderbolt 3... Splendid ߒ馬t;br>
    It does both, Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.2.
    That's a little unclear. As best as I can tell, it's Thunderbolt 3 from the "powered" port to the laptop; the remaining four ports are USB-C. This makes a bit of sense given the lack of chips that can drive true USB-C hubs, but would still be possible to just jam a bunch of USB-C interfaces "PCI-E style" onto a Thunderbolt endpoint.

I have the 4k display, which I believe is likely to be identical in all respects except for size, at my office; I'll take a closer look via device inspector on Thursday.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 15 of 20

...is 5K Apple's 'bag of hurt'...?
    Yes some may definitely benefit, but 'for the rest of us'...?
    Let the flame wars begin...

I have no idea what you're proposing here.
    cat52Rayz2016colinng
  • Reply 16 of 20
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    I'l look when it gets to about $500. YMMV. Oh, and that ugly plastic mount. No, it doesn't need a $999 stand, but...yuck. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 17 of 20
    eightzero said:
    I'l look when it gets to about $500. YMMV. Oh, and that ugly plastic mount. No, it doesn't need a $999 stand, but...yuck. 
    Agreed. But on a VESA mount I don't think it would be a problem.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    arthurbaarthurba Posts: 154member
    Any word on whether you can use this with the TB2<—>TB3 adapter with MacBook Pro 2015?   I’m still using an ‘old’ Apple Thunderbolt Display...

BTW when the MBP2015 came out, like the new iPad Pro, Apple said it would do 5K as soon as such a monitor was available. It never really eventuated.  My limited experience tells me that if it doesn’t do it on launch day, it won’t eventuate. Apple loses interest quickly.  
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Five seconds of checking this out on Apple's site reveals the monitor supports BOTH Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C 3.2.
    I can confirm that only the one "powered" port is Thunderbolt 3, basically making it a Thunderbolt-powered USB-C hub (that happens to have a screen jammed on to it :) )