LIFX readies launch of HomeKit-enabled Candle bulb and TV light strip

Posted:
in General Discussion
Lifx is set to release a pair of new smart lights that were initially teased earlier this year at CES 2019, including the Candle Color and the Z TV Strip.

LIFX Candle Color smart bulb
LIFX Candle Color smart bulb

Candle Color is a B40 candle light bulb with a standard E14 Edison Screw -- the most common type of candle bulb. Unlike others, this bulb uses multi-colored LEDs and different "lighting zones" which allows many colors to come from the bulb at once. The most common use of this is to simulate a real flame effect.

Custom effects can also be created in the Lifx app.

LIFX Z TV smart light strip
LIFX Z TV smart light strip

The second new product is the Z TV, an updated version of the Z Strip light strip designed specifically for the TV. It has special corner pieces for easily mounting around the backside of a TV -- a common use case for light strips. Like the previous, it has multiple zones so it can output different colors of light throughout different portions of the strip.

Both the Candle Color and the Z TV will be compatible with Apple HomeKit like all other Lifx products. They also are Wi-Fi connected lights so no hub or bridge is required.

The Candle Color will retail for $44.99 and the Z TV will launch for $69.99. Both will be available this October. The existing lineup of Lifx's HomeKit-compatible smart lights are available on Amazon including bulbs and more immersive lights.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Do the TV lights have some sort of interaction with the TV content? If so, how does it work?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    LIFX products are terrific and with no hub they are all better for not having something else plugged in. I have a couple of bulbs (globes) and the led strip. All easy to set up configure and ton of lighting options. The strip lights need something to make 90 degree angles simple such as fitting in the kitchen cabinets. This new TV option looks like it could be fun. 
    oirudleahcimGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    $45 for bulb is non starter even if it changes color and works with homekit. LED lights cost have come down lots not sure how you justify the cost.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    laytech said:
    LIFX products are terrific and with no hub they are all better for not having something else plugged in. I have a couple of bulbs (globes) and the led strip. All easy to set up configure and ton of lighting options. The strip lights need something to make 90 degree angles simple such as fitting in the kitchen cabinets. This new TV option looks like it could be fun. 
    Yes, I agree -- the bulbs (and absence of a 3rd party hub) are GREAT!

I wanted to get a strip for my grandson's X-Box TV but could only find 10 footers.   This sounds ideal -- and the indirect lighting effect should be perfect.   I think I just found his next birthday present.

I also agree with you that needed something that would work well with kitchen cabinets.   I currently have a couple flourescent fixtures under my cabinets that I would love to replace.
    watto_cobra