Facebook dangles big money to lure news outlets into new service

Posted:
in General Discussion
Social media giant Facebook is reportedly offering major publications millions of dollars to secure content for a news section it aims to debut later this year, a move that could put pressure on subscription services like Apple News+.

Facebook HQ

Citing sources familiar with the matter, The Wall Street Journal on Thursday said Facebook is in discussions to license stories, headlines and previews for a news tab integrated into the service's main page.

Executives from ABC News, Dow Jones, The Washington Post and Bloomberg were pitched on the potential partnership, with Facebook representatives promising up to $3 million a year for access to content, the report said. WSJ sources said contracts with participants would run for three years.

Facebook would reportedly adopt fairly lax rules governing how a publication's content appears in the upcoming news tab. Further, outlets can choose to host their content on Facebook servers or attach links to headlines and previews that point to their respective websites, the report said.

The strategy differs from Facebook's current news-related initiatives like Instant Articles, which splits ad revenue with publishers.

Facebook's negotiations with publishers are similar to what Apple faced in the run-up to launch of Apple News+, the tech giant's premium news and magazine service. Prior to launch, Apple clambered to sign partners to its untested platform, touting the massive install base of iOS while at the same time attempting to fine tune licensing fees.

Apple News+ debuted in March with key partners the Los Angeles Times and The Wall Street Journal. Other big industry players, like The New York Times, opted to steer clear of the service in favor of their own first-party subscription offerings.

Whether Facebook can become a significant player in the online news aggregation game remains to be seen. The company must overcome not only competition from the likes of Apple, but an already tainted image fostered by the network's "fake news" scourge and the Cambridge Analytica scandal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Veiled bribery for positive press coverage?
    macseekerallmypeopleFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Facebook does not know what to do with itself.
    It's blindly copying others and may get itself into a lot of trouble.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Any news organization who affiliates with facebook shouldn't be believed.  This goes for both sides of the fence.
    lolliverentropysAI_liaslostkiwiphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Competition is a good thing. 
    christophb
  • Reply 5 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    I would be 100 percent on board with this if Facebook promised to name, shame, and block all the propaganda and Russian bot "news" in favour of legit news sites. But, as with Google, that will never happen since it would cost, rather than make, money.

Gee, I'm beginning to figure out why the old TV networks' news divisions were money-losers! Keeping out the propaganda and BS is a difficult and expensive job!
    SolilolliverpropodcornchipbadmonkFileMakerFellerphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Facebook does not know what to do with itself.
    It's blindly copying others and may get itself into a lot of trouble.

Blowing money seems to work for Facebook. Look at Instagram and What'sApp.

I wish Apple would spend more money but I know why they're tight also.
    macseekeranantksundarambadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Is Facebook going to give people's email address away to the news publishers? Apple doesn't, and to me that's a critical factor.
    lolliverapplesnorangeslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Is Facebook going to give people's email address away to the news publishers? Apple doesn't, and to me that's a critical factor.
    I think that 2.2B people are way past your rhetorical question.
    GG1FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    What is the point?
    Many so called journalists get their stories from places like Facebook already. After all what is posted on social media is always correct and the truth isn't it?

There is a point
    Facebook have the stories already. They are simple paying for legitimacy.

I long for the day when Facebook and the rest of them no longer exist at least in their current incarnation. The world will be a better place.
    command_flostkiwiFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    donjuandonjuan Posts: 61member
    Paying for fake news...
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra