Apple teases 'The Morning Show' arriving this fall on Apple TV+

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2019
Apple has started to tease 'The Morning Show,' a drama starring Jeniffer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell for its upcoming AppleTV+ service starting this fall, hinting at the behind-the-scenes tensions of a fictional television show.

Published to the official Apple TV Twitter account on Monday, the minute-long video is accompanied by a brief teasing text for the show, declaring "The news is only half the story." The tweet name-checks the three stars of the show, as well as advising it will be arriving on Apple TV+ this fall, "only on the Apple TV app."

The tweet also references the Twitter handle for the show itself. On that account, there is a single tweet, showing the same video as the Apple TV account.

The news is only half the story. Catch this sneak peek of @TheMorningShow starring Jennifer Aniston, @ReeseW and @SteveCarell.

Coming to Apple TV+ this fall, only on the Apple TV app: https://t.co/Q0mifiBdMR pic.twitter.com/K90DyPv5Zk

— Apple TV (@AppleTV)

The video consists of a sweeping montage of the dressing rooms, control room, and stage of the fictional The Morning Show. The background voiceover is made up of statements by the various characters that will appear in the series, their varying motives, and the potential backstage bickering that could take place.

Picked up by Apple in late 2017, the show is based on CNN correspondent Brian Stelter's novel "Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV." Two seasons totalling 20 episodes were ordered, with Aniston and Witherspoon co-owning and executive producing the show.

The show is already on its second showrunner, after the first Jay Carson left due to reported "creative differences."
15ngcs1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Sounds like "Sports Night."
  • Reply 2 of 16
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    I'd rather watch paint dry.
    williamlondonbigtdschemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    big kc said:
    Of course you would...you haven't even seen any of Apple's show yet they're all automatically shit. So go ahead and watch paint dry...
    StrangeDaysRayz2016lolliverchristopher12615ngcs1
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Meh...
    chemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    The show is already on its second showrunner, after the first Jay Carson left due to reported "creative differences."

Always a good sign. 
  • Reply 6 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    macxpress said:
    big kc said:
    Of course you would...you haven't even seen any of Apple's show yet they're all automatically shit. So go ahead and watch paint dry...
    Well, to be fair, I doubt this show’s target audience would overlap much with AppleInsider frequenters in a Venn diagram.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    entropys said:
    macxpress said:
    big kc said:
    Well, to be fair, I doubt this show’s target audience would overlap much with AppleInsider frequenters in a Venn diagram.

True, considering that there seems to be a lot of Apple-haters who frequent this site - I suppose bitching about Apple is better than watching paint dry?
    StrangeDaysRayz2016lolliver15ngcs1
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Well I don’t agree you would have to be an Apple hater to dislike the show based on that promo.  I just watched the clip and seriously, it is most definitely not for me.
    Looks like melodrama on steroids. Hope the clip is a bait and switch and it isn’t yet another pretentious show demanding we take modern journalists seriously.

I hope it is actually black comedy about how these characters spend their lives lying to themselves about how worthy they are. I might watch that for a couple of episodes.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 9 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    So in a time when we have un-truths and outright lies passed as truth by the administration, journalism is pretentious? Interesting world view. Nah, I’ll take journalism as a check & balance against the state propaganda any day. At least it has never claimed windmills cause cancer. 
    fastasleeplolliver15ngcs1
  • Reply 10 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    At some point, Apple will need to announce some sort of catalog of content they expect subscribers to pay for via AppleTV+. There was some glimpse of this at one of their events, with a parade of celebs and known producers/directors. None of that really looked appealing to me (with the singular exception of the Foundation/Azimov project). But the competition for these streaming services is heating up, and while that is good for the consumer, Apple needs to be ready to tell people what they get for their hard earned quid. I've sort of glanced through Apple News, and I find nothing interesting there to even read for free, much less pay for. Disney has a many decades catalog of known content that is widely loved and respected - people will pay for that, and Disney made a very attractive offer recently. If AppleTV rolls out for more than that ($12/mo) they are fooling themselves. $5/mo after a 3mo free trial will be more like it.

As always, YMMV. Disagree if you like, your money to spend. I'm not seeing value to me. 
    mobird
  • Reply 11 of 16
    So in a time when we have un-truths and outright lies passed as truth by the administration, journalism is pretentious? Interesting world view. Nah, I’ll take journalism as a check & balance against the state propaganda any day. At least it has never claimed windmills cause cancer. 
    Whatever you reckon. On subjects that I know a lot about, journalist reporting on it is almost always wrong, usually not in a small way. I have no reason to suspect it is different for any other subject.
    As far as I can tell, true investigative journalism is dead. Nowadays it is full of narcissists who write a story based on their own prejudices and without being hampered by the inconvenience of actual knowledge of the issue, before nicking out for some sound bites to give it a veneer of credibility, after heavy editing of course.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    entropys said:
    Well I don’t agree you would have to be an Apple hater to dislike the show based on that promo.  I just watched the clip and seriously, it is most definitely not for me.
    Looks like melodrama on steroids. Hope the clip is a bait and switch and it isn’t yet another pretentious show demanding we take modern journalists seriously.

I hope it is actually black comedy about how these characters spend their lives lying to themselves about how worthy they are. I might watch that for a couple of episodes.
    Did you bother to read anything about the book it's based on? That might give you some hints instead of having to resort to rampant speculation.
    lolliver15ngcs1
  • Reply 13 of 16
    entropys said:
    Whatever you reckon. On subjects that I know a lot about, journalist reporting on it is almost always wrong, usually not in a small way. I have no reason to suspect it is different for any other subject.
    As far as I can tell, true investigative journalism is dead. Nowadays it is full of narcissists who write a story based on their own prejudices and without being hampered by the inconvenience of actual knowledge of the issue, before nicking out for some sound bites to give it a veneer of credibility, after heavy editing of course.
    I can't see too good, is that Walter Cronkite over there?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Objectively that's a pretty poor teaser - I get what they were trying to do with the overlapping audio, but it was not done well and annoying to listen to along with the music.

It fails as a teaser because you're interest is not piqued at all by the time it concludes. It's flat from start to finish, visually, audibly, and thematically.

And I'm a fanboy...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    MenckenianaMenckeniana Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    I cringe at the thought of the Apple shirts overseeing “art."
  • Reply 16 of 16
    entropys said:

Did you bother to read anything about the book it's based on? That might give you some hints instead of having to resort to rampant speculation.
    Wot, read? Where is the fun in that?