Oscar Talk 2003!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    The Douglas family rules.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    chweave1chweave1 Posts: 164member
    Whats wrong with what she said? I personally thought it was far better than what that idiot Brody said or that guy in the beginning (can't remember his name). Who does Brody think he is telling them to stop? Very arrogant I thought.
  • Reply 43 of 79
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I was shocked that Eminem got it. I figured U2 or Paul Simon would take it home.

Michael Moore: Well, he had the stage. I expected something like that might have happened.

Chicago is BEST PICTURE! Great flick! ...although I hadn't seen the others. \
  • Reply 44 of 79
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chweave1

Whats wrong with what she said? I personally thought it was far better than what that idiot Brody said or that guy in the beginning (can't remember his name). Who does Brody think he is telling them to stop? Very arrogant I thought.

You mean the music? They were getting waaaay trigger happy with the cut-offs.

Jeff
  • Reply 45 of 79
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Michael Moore:

Quote:

"I'm an American, and you don't leave your citizenship when you enter the doors of the Kodak Theater. What's great about this country is that you can speak your mind," he said.

What slime... He is free to his ignorant remarks but why even bother...

slime link

Fellowship
  • Reply 46 of 79
    chweave1chweave1 Posts: 164member
    Way trigger happy? I dont know, I think thats being generous to this guy. They are always cutting people off. I always felt only the most senior people in the field had the right to do such a thing. He is hardly senior.

I just felt that the war shouldn't have been mentioned. This is an awards show. All that is on TV now-a-days is the war, and people needed a break, and guess what, this was NOT it, when it should have been. With every actor speaking about or against the war, you almost feel like you're watching CNN.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    Quote:

Way trigger happy? I dont know, I think thats being generous to this guy. They are always cutting people off. I always felt only the most senior people in the field had the right to do such a thing. He is hardly senior.

"This Guy" was bawling, trying to get his thoughts together to accept the Oscar for Best Actor!

I think they should've waited until he was done.

Jeff
  • Reply 48 of 79
    Quote:

I just felt that the war shouldn't have been mentioned. This is an awards show. All that is on TV now-a-days is the war, and people needed a break, and guess what, this was NOT it, when it should have been. With every actor speaking about or against the war, you almost feel like you're watching CNN.

I can see your point. Like I said, to me it was a tough spot.

I would've felt a little funny not saying at least something about the war, if only just to acknowlege that something much larger was going on.

jeff
  • Reply 49 of 79
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    classiest speech:

Peter O'Toole

And Matsu's bush-bashing? crybaby bullshit that's WAY off topic...

Like Michael Moore.

the tool
  • Reply 50 of 79
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

classiest speech:

Peter O'Toole

No kidding. That speech was perfect. I loved every word.

As for Michael Moore...I remember when Gere spoke out about Tibet, and Sarandon abour Haitian refugees. Inappopriate. If I was sitting in a restaurant, I wouldn't want my waiter ranting to me about politics.

Brody's speech wasn't too bad, at least it wasn't an attack, though he did hog the the mic. He seems like a sleaze too, when he practically slobbered all over Halle Berry...wtf? She's got a ring you fool, and then when he stopped the orchestra...and then when he lingered on the stage during the presentation of past best actor/actress winners. He's creepy.

The worst thing about Moore's speech is that he tricked the other documentary filmmakers into coming up with him. I'm pretty sure they weren't expecting Moore to adlib that much.

Steve Martin hasn't been funny for two decades. Bring back Billy Crystal, PLEASE. Martin was worse, yes worse than Letterman. At least Letterman had some personality.

Kirk Douglas is a funny guy!
  • Reply 51 of 79
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

And Matsu's bush-bashing? crybaby bullshit that's WAY off topic...

Like Michael Moore.

I am generally not impressed with actors giving us their political opinions on award shows. However, for Moore, I would argue, it's different. It's what he does. Whether you agree with him or not.

I do think that he could have done it it a more classy and subtle way, but that is not his intent. He is the left-wing response to all those right-wing news barkers. We've got to put up with them, so you have to put up with him.
  • Reply 52 of 79
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

I am generally not impressed with actors giving us their political opinions on award shows. However, for Moore, I would argue, it's different. It's what he does. Whether you agree with him or not.

I do think that he could have done it it a more classy and subtle way, but that is not his intent. He is the left-wing response to all those right-wing news barkers. We've got to put up with them, so you have to put up with him.

Michael Moore, when not given complete control and an open mic, is bearable. His documentaries like Bowling for Columbine are well produced...that's why it beat other films like Winged Migration. But that's the thing...other people were there to keep him in check throughout the production. In candid radio and TV interviews, it's always a train wreck with him.

FOX News, yes, they're right wing and entirely too made-up... but do you genuinely consider lead anchors like Peter Jennings, Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw, etc. right wing news barkers?
  • Reply 53 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

The worst thing about Moore's speech is that he tricked the other documentary filmmakers into coming up with him. I'm pretty sure they weren't expecting Moore to adlib that much.

I agree his spiel was just the wrong thing at the wrong time, but I knew without a shadow of doubt he was gonna do something like it.

It was crummy to include the other directors if he hadn't cleared it with them, though.

Jeff
  • Reply 54 of 79
    Yeah, but boy that Peter O'Toole.

Man.

MAN what a class act.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    I believe they had Robert Wyatt's Masters of the Field playing for about two seconds as background music for Winged Migration.

Michael Moore is an embarrassment, but at least he's harmless. Unlike your FICTITIOUS PRESIDENT, FICTITIOUS REASONS FOR ENTERING IRAQ and FICTITIOUS SPORTS. And hey, an Oscar (these were the Oscars, right?) to Nova Scotia thanks to him!
  • Reply 56 of 79
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Does Moore thank the Columbine victims who helped him make his film what it was? Nope.

Does Moore thank the many people who exposed very personal and emotionally raw parts of their lives who made his film as good as it was? Nope.

He used it to glorify himself.

Excellent work, Michael, excellent work.
  • Reply 57 of 79
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Moore is most persuasive through film; less petulant, having a sense of humor, less preachy. It's a much more suitable medium. I like him a lot more when he's behind the camera. Sorry, I don't go for this idea that wackos on either extreme of the political spectrum can cancel each other out. They just build thick walls in between. Just look at our illustrious international leaders as proof.

anyhoo, missed the whole shebang, but caught the result on E! online.
  • Reply 58 of 79
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hollywood sets it's own terms. This part is easy to understand. I'm more concerned with how people just accept those terms as the proper boundaries.

Eminem, a mysogynyst? No, but even if it were true, Hollywood doesn't have any right to point fingers on that score.

The president? The president is fictitious.

I wouldn't have got up to join Moore on stage, I might have punched him in the face after the show, or got up and walked up to the stage, up to the podium, right past him and off the stage.

I didn't see it, when you all said he used the term "fictitious president" I thought, yep, that's accurate enough. Had he stopped there, I'd say he's absolutely right. However, there's nothing fictitious about the war or the reasons for it, if you take the time to understand them.

Now bashing the president seems to be part of the standard currency of hollywood, especially one as deserving of ridicule as the current commander in thief, war or no, the reasons for attacking Bush just don't go away even if you traffic in patriotism.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
  • Reply 60 of 79
    Excellent link on the Tool.

When he came to Atlanta to shoot a sequence for his short-lived NBC television show back in the 90's, he went and staged some kind of event on a new road that had been named after some politician (Republican of course).

A friend of mine was part of the local crew who'd been hired for the job. His job was to go purchase a lot of roadwork equipment....construction sawhorses with the flashing lights, safety vests, stuff like that.

Moore then staged a completely fabricated event on the road...can't remember the details because it was told to me second hand by this friend. The one thing that I recall vividly is that my friend, a "good old-fashioned Cape Cod Democrat", came away from that project with the utter conviction that Moore was slime.

You know, he was right!