Apple 'aggressively testing' OLED screens from other suppliers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2019
Apple has begun to test OLED panels from other manufacturers in an effort to diversify its supply chain for the 2020 iPhone lineup.

iPhone XS

The latest company that Apple is reportedly examining for OLED supply is BOE Technology. According to the Nikkei Asian Review, Apple could source displays for the 2020 iPhone from the company, should the testing go well.

According to the report, Apple will decide by the end of the year if Apple will use the supplier for the panels. Apple's suppliers for the iPhone X was exclusively Samsung, and is still predominantly Samsung with contributions by LG Display for the Apple Watch.

"Apple has the incentive to qualify a new supplier for OLED display as [others] are a bit reluctant to invest too much to expand capacity," Taipei-based research company WitsView analyst Eric Chiou told the Nikkei Asian Review. "That gives BOE a good opportunity to break into the new market while the Chinese display company has already proven it has capability to supply to MacBooks, iPads, HP and Dell screens. It should not be too unexpected if Apple eventually buys OLEDs from BOE too."

The Nikkei Asian Review has a good track record in regards to Apple's supply chain. It is less accurate when predicting Apple's specific product features, or release timing.

Foxconn subsidiary Sharp and Japan Display also want to be in Apple's OLED supply chain. It is presently unclear where either company are in Apple's evaluation process, if they are being considered at all.

Apple is rumored to be considering a ProMotion display with refresh rates of up to 120Hz in the 2020 iPhone lineup. Rumors have suggested that Apple will use a smaller TrueDepth camera in the 2020 model, allowing it to shrink the notch on OLED screens -- plus a seven-piece lens system for the rear camera. A more questionable claim is that there could be a China-exclusive model that switches out Face ID for subscreen Touch ID.

Apple is predicted to have have three iPhone models in 2020, all of them OLED-based, in 5.4-, 6.1-, and 6.7-inch sizes. The 6.1-inch unit may forego 5G support however, relegating it to mid-tier status like 2018's iPhone XR.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Love that idea of “aggressively testing”. 

“GIMME A HAMMER, FOOL!”

beowulfschmidtMplsPgargravarrcornchipCarnagewatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Love that idea of “aggressively testing”. 

“GIMME A HAMMER, FOOL!”

I’m looking at it. Now I’m looking really hard. Now I’m looking with my angry eyes!
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So as Trump is trying to block trade with China, Tim is expanding it.

...  Get me some popcorn --  and may the best man win!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Yeah, I’m wondering about that too. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 10
    OLED for 2020...Apple always very late to catchup, where is the “one more thing” invention-Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Apple will. Continuing to use and invest in Chinese companies means it's less likely that China will not "retaliate" against Apple during this ongoing trade war. Eventually it will end, and Apple may have an advantage over others who kowtowed to Trump's demands and pulled out.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    elfig2012 said:
    OLED for 2020...Apple always very late to catchup, where is the “one more thing” invention-Apple?
    Apple has been using OLED for a few years now, not sure what you mean by this comment?
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    elfig2012 said:
    You mean the same Apple that always lets people make the first version so they can improve upon it?  That Apple?

Welcome to the world - you're the one who seems to be late to catch up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    elfig2012 said:
    What are you talking about? 

Apple has begun to test OLED panels from other manufacturers in an effort to diversify its supply chain for the 2020 iPhone line up.

Catching up to what? Diversifying it's supply chain for OLED panels?  Hahaha  Only thing worse than a troll is a troll with poor reading comprehension.
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I wonder how this fits in with Apple supposedly not taking up the entire OLED supply available from Samsung. Diversification to try and push prices lower? Quality improvement approach? Multiple factors in play, I think.