Editorial: Apple's next hardware play could be in game controllers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    CloudTalkin said:
    What the heck does that even mean?  Audio AR?  

In my case "augmented reality" with AirPods= walking around or driving in an older car that lack CarPlay or even bluetooth and still hearing directions in my ear. Combined with the subtle haptic cues and graphics on my Watch, it makes for getting around pretty easy without having to stare at my iPhone. Super exciting AR use case? No. Useful? Yes.
    In your case, respectfully, you aren't dealing with augmented reality.  Look, we can't just go around co-opting terminology to justify a position on an issue.  I mean, we can, but it seems a bit intellectually dishonest to do so. The AirPods have nothing to do with AR.  Trying to combine it with features of the AW doesn't make any more legitimate.  AirPods are wireless headphones.  Wireless headphones aren't AR devices.
    ctt_zhfastasleepmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 49
    CloudTalkin said:

In my case "augmented reality" with AirPods= walking around or driving in an older car that lack CarPlay or even bluetooth and still hearing directions in my ear. Combined with the subtle haptic cues and graphics on my Watch, it makes for getting around pretty easy without having to stare at my iPhone. Super exciting AR use case? No. Useful? Yes.
    In your case, respectfully, you aren't dealing with augmented reality.  Look, we can't just go around co-opting terminology to justify a position on an issue.  I mean, we can, but it seems a bit intellectually dishonest to do so. The AirPods have nothing to do with AR.  Trying to combine it with features of the AW doesn't make any more legitimate.  AirPods are wireless headphones.  Wireless headphones aren't AR devices.
    Why can't AR refer to non-visual tech? Wikipedia seems to think it can-- "Augmented reality is an interactive experience of a real-world environment where the objects that reside in the real-world are enhanced by computer-generated perceptual information, sometimes across multiple sensory modalities, including visual, auditory, haptic, somatosensory and olfactory." I'll admit that the Websters and New Oxford dictionaries do agree with your visual-only definition of the tech, but I dunno, felt pretty futuristic to me when I was doing it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    lolliverFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 23 of 49
    ...I'd add, that yes- wireless headphones on their own aren't AR devices, but pair them with a phone that can feed directions to you and now it's AR, never mind the Watch stuff. I can imagine a game that's not too dissimilar from that Pokemon AR game that was the thing for a minute only you have to wander about seeking... whatever based on auditory cues. One could do some really fun stuff with stereo imaging to give audio clues to the user. Find "ghosts" or something and the whole tone of the audio only (perhaps with Watch feedback too) game could be a kind of spooky fun. I'm not sure about the author's larger point of Apple getting more involved with game controllers and such, but it's also not completely implausible.
    lolliverFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 49
    ...I'd add, that yes- wireless headphones on their own aren't AR devices, but pair them with a phone that can feed directions to you and now it's AR, never mind the Watch stuff. I can imagine a game that's not too dissimilar from that Pokemon AR game that was the thing for a minute only you have to wander about seeking... whatever based on auditory cues. One could do some really fun stuff with stereo imaging to give audio clues to the user. Find "ghosts" or something and the whole tone of the audio only (perhaps with Watch feedback too) game could be a kind of spooky fun. I'm not sure about the author's larger point of Apple getting more involved with game controllers and such, but it's also not completely implausible.
    I promise you I'm not trying to be argumentative.  But you have to see the folly in your example.  You've essentially described listening to directions through headphones as AR (nice touch with the descriptive "feed directions to you").  By that description, using a $2 pair of gas station earphones plugged into a phone or some $10 Amazon wireless buds is now AR.  Doesn't make any sense at all to me, but if that's AR to you... as long as you're fine with it, I'm fine with it for you.  
    ctt_zhraoulduke42muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 49
    as long as you're fine with it, I'm fine with it for you.  
    Indeed! I like to think I’ve a sound argument!
    lollivermuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Never going to happen.

Apple doesn't even make wireless routers anymore, when their entire product ecosystem depends on Wi-Fi.

Opening up support for non-MFi Bluetooth controllers was both trivial and necessary. Trivial because it was easy for them support (basically they just had to stop blocking it). And necessary if they wanted Apple Arcade to be anything more than a joke. And so far I'm not convinced that won't still be a joke.

edited September 2019
  • Reply 27 of 49
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    bigtds said:
    bigtds said:
    How can anyone with half a brain take these ridiculous articles seriously? Always putting other companies down to make Apple look good. Really insecure in his support for Apple.
    Writing industry analysis isn't "putting down" other companies. It's fact -- competitors and critics often claim the way to do something is X, and then Apple does Y, proving them wrong. There is opportunity to point out their mistakes in betting against Apple, as DED and the Macalope have proven time and again.

What's truly insecure -- coming to an Apple site, reading an Apple opinion columnist with a known beat, and then whining about it. Are you lost, bro? 
    Haha. Not lost bro. This isn't analysis. It's cheer-leading for Apple while Sh!77ing on everyone else. Something you're very familiar with. To pretend that Apple is the only company that can design and build great products is pretty shallow thinking in my opinion. This is the basis of all of DEDs editorials.
    Yep and he now says biggest in revenue and profit must mean it’s the best product such as when he keeps comparing HomePod to Sonos.   It’s a very Trump way of thinking.     I would be impressed if they could just get the remote and Siri to work great on the ATV.   Too many things are still too frustrating with Siri.   Stop wasting resources on this AR/VR crap.
    bigtdsmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 49
    How about a hard-hitting editorial on how Apple squandered its lead in voice assistants, and missed the boat on IoT by taking only half measures (software but not hardware)?

Or perhaps not missed the boat, but watched others like Amazon and Google sail right past them by not only having better voice technology, but offering hardware that takes advantage of it?

AR/VR may have a future, and even a non-trivial one, but people are buying smart speakers, cameras, doorbells, and other home goods that provide practical benefits in their lives, now.  And what would an Apple mesh network solution look and work like?  Again, one that's easy to set up and doesn't collect data on its users (HI, Eero!).

Wouldn't it be nice if there were privacy-biased alternatives for all these things, that don't come from data miners like Google and Amazon?  They could even leverage iCloud for subscription revenue.  Maybe, there just might be a market for that kind of thing?

Instead, what does Apple offer in the IoT realm?  A good sounding, but dumb speaker where intelligence wasn't even in the original development plans, but an afterthought grafted on.

But hey, maybe VR goggles and low margin cars are Apple's idea of the future.
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 49
    bigtds said:
    How can anyone with half a brain take these ridiculous articles seriously? Always putting other companies down to make Apple look good. Really insecure in his support for Apple.
    There are some really insecure Android supporters here who fail to recognise that Android/Facebook attempts at a complete ecosystem have, well, failed. 

AirPods ARE delivering audio based augmented reality, too. I mean, that’s exactly what headphones have been delivering for 100 years. 

The DED Corrections dept is going to have a real field day with some of the absolute nonsense being spoken by some of the real loonies here, starting off with Bigtids himself. 

Keep up the great and very insightful work, DED, when the moaners and complainers can only say you’re “insecure” for pointing out the truth of the reality of things and how the world really works, you know you’re winning and that the losers have already lost even before they brought up the keyboard to utter their usual nonsense. 

Case in point, where is RogAndroidFan with his bleating tirade?
  • Reply 30 of 49
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    bigtds said:
    There are some really insecure Android supporters here who fail to recognise that Android/Facebook attempts at a complete ecosystem have, well, failed. 

AirPods ARE delivering audio based augmented reality, too. I mean, that’s exactly what headphones have been delivering for 100 years. 

The DED Corrections dept is going to have a real field day with some of the absolute nonsense being spoken by some of the real loonies here, starting off with Bigtids himself. 

Keep up the great and very insightful work, DED, when the moaners and complainers can only say you’re “insecure” for pointing out the truth of the reality of things and how the world really works, you know you’re winning and that the losers have already lost even before they brought up the keyboard to utter their usual nonsense. 

Do you really think that just because someone is an Android fan that they are not a fan of Apple? You really do live in a bubble. And how is that Android ecosystem a failure? Enlighten us with your wisdom.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    This douchy photo reminded me of South Park  :D

bigtdsFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 32 of 49
    bigtds said:
    bigtds said:

Do you really think that just because someone is an Android fan that they are not a fan of Apple? You really do live in a bubble. And how is that Android ecosystem a failure? Enlighten us with your wisdom.
    Hey buddy, you were the one to slam DED first. The onus to prove your claims is on you. I’m just calling you out on your rudeness and bad behaviour. 

Grow up, buddy. Go back to your ecosystem of hate and suffering, you really seem to thrive in it. Need proof? Look at the very first comment made in the forum on this article.

And now you’re pretending to be an Apple fan too, just because I called out one of your endlessly hateful buddies, RogAndroidFan?

When YOU start off spouting hate like “ How can anyone with half a brain take these ridiculous articles seriously? Always putting other companies down to make Apple look good. Really insecure in his support for Apple“, well, you announce to the world a heck of a lot about you. 

Thanks for doing that. 

Also you're putting DED down... guess that's how you need to feel better. DED has years worth of articles which explain his position very well, he has been very consistent, he has backed up his articles with plenty of facts. All we get from you is "half-brained" hate. It's very insecure of you, you know?

Finally - there is no “complete” Android ecosystem to match Apple’s. Various players have pieces of the puzzle, but no-one has them all. 

Samsung and Huawei perhaps come closest - but neither Samsung nor Huawei’s 2019 watches run Android. 

AirPods are still unmatched for their seamless interaction across Apple’s devices. 

Android TV - Google doesn’t even make its own first party hardware, and vendors that make OEM boxes are painfully slow at updating them. 

VR headsets on Android - Samsung and Google appear to have given up. 

Bigtds - you really need some actual ammo to debate with. Accusing people of having half a brain truly is a half-brained act - well, at least when it comes from you. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 33 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tht said:
    melgross said:
    tht said:
    Apple needs a branded controller for their Arcade service if indeed the service is meant to have games available on all of Apple’s hardware, from the TV puck to Macs to iOS devices. This seems rather doubtful or we should be skeptical at least of them doing this. They’ve never really shown any inclination. Apple Arcade is likely to be a service dominated by iPhone games that can be modified to be playable on Macs and Apple TV, and will likely be limited. They can say they are serious this time, a branded controller would at least demonstrate this, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

The brand controller will allow the games to be played the same across all of Apple’s hardware, so you’d think they’d do it. Just like thinking that have to have a more powerful Apple TV (now rumored) to support Arcade games, the controller seems like a no brainer. Since they are support Sony and MS controllers, sounds like it is not coming for a long while, if at all.

There won’t be a controller for the AR glasses. At least, it will be like AirPods with an accelerometer and maybe the additional of capacitive surface or even buttons, plus Siri. At most, it will have the “Face ID” sensor cluster enabling users to user their hands and fingers to directly manipulate the virtual objects being displayed in the glasses. Maybe there will be a glove or fingernail tags to make easier to recognize hand positions, but that would be a fail in my and their opinion I bet.

For VR? A Face ID sensor cluster with maybe a controller, but I’m pretty negative on the consumer market for VR. The gloves are an artifact of history when visual object recognition was basically non-existent 20 years ago. The most natural is simply through bare hand gestures. 
    And that’s why Apple is finally making an intelligent decision about controllers, fully supporting both XBox and Dual Shock controllers. Dropping required support for Apple’s aTv controller is important too, because it holds back the other controllers.

but this is another lamebrained idea, for Apple to have its own controllers. That idea is way too late. First you need a very popular game system for advanced gaming. Apple doesn’t really have that yet. Yes, I’ve got over 100 games on my iPad Pro 12.9”. I try almost every higher end new game that comes out, and some are pretty good. But—they could be great with a Microsoft or Sony controller fully supported.

honestly, do people really want to have to learn a totally new controller? The last time that happened, years ago, was with the Wii. But most of the sales of the Wii was to young kids, who bounce around even when they aren’t game playing. The Microsoft and Sony mostly work the same way, so going between them is pretty easy. It’s what people are now used to, and like, a lot. someday, if Apple and others come out with a really good VR system, which nobody really does have now, then a totally new controller for that will be required. But that’s not now, and definitely not useful for a phone, iPad or Mac.
    An Apple branded controller, that ships with Apple TVs and offered at retail, reduces friction for developers and what type of games that can be made for Apple Arcade, which ostensibly is being advertised as having games being playable on all of Apple’s hardware, including Apple TV and Macs. What’s the overlap for people who own some combination of an Apple TV, iOS device and PS/Xbox controllers? Maybe Apple knows it’s a pretty overlap?

Apple selling a branded controller in retail and shipping one with Apple TV pucks ensures control scheme compatibility across Apple’s hardware. That has to be a big plus for developers.

For Apple TV, I’ve already said I want a controller or remote with QWERTY capability.
    It’s all about price. That would raise the price by another $25, at least, possibly more. The majority of people buying the aTv aren’t interested in console quality games, yet, they would be looking at more expense. Sure, Apple could offer their own branded controller—if they could get around both ms and sony patents. Those patents are one reason we don’t see exact copies of those controllers.

we don’t need an Apple branded controller. There are probably over 200 million Microsoft and Sony controllers in the hands of game players right now. all has to do is to offer the aTv without their controller, and an option of one of those controllers instead (as well as their own for people who don’t game). People who already have controllers will save money, and those who don’t, can save money that way too.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    CloudTalkin said:

Why can't AR refer to non-visual tech? Wikipedia seems to think it can-- "Augmented reality is an interactive experience of a real-world environment where the objects that reside in the real-world are enhanced by computer-generated perceptual information, sometimes across multiple sensory modalities, including visual, auditory, haptic, somatosensory and olfactory." I'll admit that the Websters and New Oxford dictionaries do agree with your visual-only definition of the tech, but I dunno, felt pretty futuristic to me when I was doing it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    It means all three. Touch, sight, or both together.

but realistically, without sight, touch is pretty lame. They’ve tried games with touch gloves and tv based games, and it failed miserably.
  • Reply 35 of 49

bigtds said:
    bigtds said:

Hey buddy, you were the one to slam DED first. The onus to prove your claims is on you. I’m just calling you out on your rudeness and bad behaviour. 

Grow up, buddy. Go back to your ecosystem of hate and suffering, you really seem to thrive in it. Need proof? Look at the very first comment made in the forum on this article.

And now you’re pretending to be an Apple fan too, just because I called out one of your endlessly hateful buddies, RogAndroidFan?

When YOU start off spouting hate like “ How can anyone with half a brain take these ridiculous articles seriously? Always putting other companies down to make Apple look good. Really insecure in his support for Apple“, well, you announce to the world a heck of a lot about you. 

Thanks for doing that. 

Also you're putting DED down... guess that's how you need to feel better. DED has years worth of articles which explain his position very well, he has been very consistent, he has backed up his articles with plenty of facts. All we get from you is "half-brained" hate. It's very insecure of you, you know?

Finally - there is no “complete” Android ecosystem to match Apple’s. Various players have pieces of the puzzle, but no-one has them all. 

Samsung and Huawei perhaps come closest - but neither Samsung nor Huawei’s 2019 watches run Android. 

AirPods are still unmatched for their seamless interaction across Apple’s devices. 

Android TV - Google doesn’t even make its own first party hardware, and vendors that make OEM boxes are painfully slow at updating them. 

Bigtds - you really need some actual ammo to debate with. Accusing people of having half a brain truly is a half-brained act - well, at least when it comes from you. 
    Excuse me, but a lot of us aren’t happy with the tone of DEDs articles. I’ve challenged him  too. And his response was to show a very incomplete, and misleading chart.
    bigtds
  • Reply 36 of 49

Thanks for doing that. 

You mad bro? You accuse me of spouting hate and then you write garbage like this? You're delusional. I stand by my statement about his articles always putting others down to make Apple look good because it's true. I'm not the only one that sees this. And I really don't care if you agree with me or not. I also don't care whether or not you think I'm an Apple fan. Unlike you, I find value in many products from many companies...not just Apple. DED can easily make his point without having to bring other companies/products into the article with such negativity. He's obviously a good writer and I would enjoy his editorials much more if he did that. But if you're OK with the way he write currently, then good for you. But if others call him out on it, don't complain. And if you're so offended by someone making a comment about your editorial super hero, you have bigger problems.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    bigtds said:

You mad bro? You accuse me of spouting hate and then you write garbage like this? You're delusional. I stand by my statement about his articles always putting others down to make Apple look good because it's true. I'm not the only one that sees this. And I really don't care if you agree with me or not. I also don't care whether or not you think I'm an Apple fan. Unlike you, I find value in many products from many companies...not just Apple. DED can easily make his point without having to bring other companies/products into the article with such negativity. He's obviously a good writer and I would enjoy his editorials much more if he did that. But if you're OK with the way he write currently, then good for you. But if others call him out on it, don't complain. And if you're so offended by someone making a comment about your editorial super hero, you have bigger problems.
    Your words expose you. You fail to make a case. 

If I call you out for being rude, don't complain. And if you're so offended by someone making a comment about your crass and rude nature, you have bigger problems. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 38 of 49
    melgross said:

bigtds said:
    bigtds said:

Thanks for doing that. 

Excuse me, but a lot of us aren’t happy with the tone of DEDs articles. I’ve challenged him  too. And his response was to show a very incomplete, and misleading chart.
    You and Bigtds seem a bit tone deaf. 

Sept 10 is coming soon. As is the October launch. Looking forward to them both. The launches will vindicate DED and Apple yet again... complainers who complain are going to complain. Again. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 39 of 49
    bigtds said:

Your words expose you. You fail to make a case. 

If I call you out for being rude, don't complain. And if you're so offended by someone making a comment about your crass and rude nature, you have bigger problems. 
    Dude, are you a parrot? There is no case to be made. I shared my opinion plain and simple. Nothing I said was untrue. You can agree or disagree. That's your right.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    Similarly, while Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Samsung have worked to "outdo" Siri with expansive voice-first platforms of their own, and have tried to give away WiFi mics as a way to build a voice platform among affluent users, Apple has instead simply made Siri a feature across all of its hardware, from Macs to Apple Watch to iOS devices and Apple TV. Apple now has, far and away, the world's largest voice assistant platform, spread across the most languages and countries, and focused on valuable, affluent buyers of premium hardware.
    While I enjoy to read DEDs articles, as I consider them mostly the truth (so many ppl dislike to take on mind), this part seems to me somehow contradictive and forces me to react. If we are talking about *world's largest voice assistant platform*, serving so many people, I must call it a one huge fail there Apple. Siri sucks profoundly! It irritates me on daily basis as long as I'm trying to get this "we design technologies the way we love and use them for ourself.". The only things Siri does well are mostly the same ones that good old Mac OS 9 Speech recognition did, basics. Contextual "thinking" is weak, unusable. I can't imagine Tim crashing with it's stupidity. I would like to hear honest opinion from Apple employees about Siri!
    bigtds