Craig Federighi: lyrics visualizer coming in iOS 13.1, iMessage scheduling considered

Posted:
in iOS
A pair of emails from Apple Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi have shed some light on Apple's plans for music lyrics in iOS 13.1, and possibly for the Messages app as well.

Apple's Craig Federighi at the 2019 WWDC
Apple's Craig Federighi at the 2019 WWDC

Federighi is continuing his trend of emailing responses to people that ask questions about future features for iOS or macOS. One Reddit user asked about Apple adding the lyrics visualizer to the main Apple Music player.

Federighi said that the matter had been considered "more times than me and every Mac on earth could possibly count."

"At first we were worried about implementing it as a feature as some phones seemed to experience battery drain due to the visualizer running in the background," Federighi wrote. "But we've since then figured out how to make it a less CPU intensive feature, and should hopefully implement a toggle for this by the official release of iOS 13.1."

No such toggle presently exists in the developer beta releases of iOS 13.1.

Scheduling iMessages

Another Reddit reader asked about scheduling an iMessage to send in the future. Federighi said that Apple continues to consider adding the feature to future release, but warned of complexities in implementation.

Specifically, Federighi points out representation of unsent messages, support for deleting and editing pending messages, and what to do a potential recipient sends you a message before your message is scheduled to be sent out.

"And of course the social concern that we may end up sending the messages at a time that you are not available to respond to any replies that come back," added Federighi. "This could be confusing for the person who is under the impression that you must be at the ready on your phone, since you just sent them a message."

In the past, Federighi has told emailers about October event schedules, return of stricken features, as well as notified customers of bug fixes in upcoming OS revisions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Yes, every new feature, like future-based message sending, introduces many new complexities. And Apple is largely about simplicity.
    cornchipStrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Yes, every new feature, like future-based message sending, introduces many new complexities. And Apple is largely about simplicity.
    I am guessing that, as with many other such in-depth functions, Apple will make this feature optional, to be turned on in Preferences or in Settings..
    PickUrPoison
  • Reply 3 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I’d just like the ability to send people iMessages that won’t buzz their phone or wake their display, in case they don’t have DND enabled and it’s later at night and I don’t need a response.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    I'd also like to see an option for apps to have the option to "Emergency Bypass." It's important that I get a ping or a vibration when I get an alert from said app.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Google’s Gmail email app for iOS already allows you to schedule emails to send at a later date or time. This feature should be a cakewalk for Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Google’s Gmail email app for iOS already allows you to schedule emails to send at a later date or time. This feature should be a cakewalk for Apple.
    1. Google doesn't care if you get spammed into oblivion
    2. Email is different to DMs
    edited September 2019 watto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 21
    You actually think difficulty is what's preventing them from doing it? 
    razorpitwatto_cobraAppleExposed
  • Reply 8 of 21
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    Yes. And other things. Apple charger. Walkie Talkie come to mind. 
  • Reply 9 of 21
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    yuck9 said:
    Oh good lord. Who really cares about an Apple charger? Walkie Talkie? Go get one at Best Buy. Apple doesn’t need to make everything. 
    edited September 2019 mac_dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    hexclock said:

Oh good lord. Who really cares about an Apple charger? Walkie Talkie? Go get one at Best Buy. Apple doesn’t need to make everything. 
    I feel the same way about a visualizer. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    yuck9 said:
    That's absurd. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Perhaps delayed messages could be distinguished by having their own color, like pink, or a tint of the current blue. Anything but green!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    hexclock said:
    yuck9 said:
    Well they did. They braged we are making a charger did they not ? Then that fell flat. 
  • Reply 14 of 21
    1. Google doesn't care if you get spammed into oblivion
    2. Email is different to DMs
    Gmail has been a very good app for me. I get little spam from it.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Post by mistake.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Shows a lot about the current market/audience that a lyrics visualizer is a top of the list request, that actually gets implemented. Now I know I won't have to expect serious features anytime soon.
    razorpit
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Whether it shows potential for ARM Macbook then it is super. Benchmarks against A12X or A13X will be interesting.

Real question what kind of software you can run on it. If Apple has this problem solved, then they would probably made ARM Macbook already.

mac_dog said:
    hexclock said:

I feel the same way about a visualizer. 
    Visualiser show what iOS users probably want and who they are in majority. Content consumers. And those 5% of us who wants more.....
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I myself and many other AI participants have chimed in here many times of improvements and features that they would like to see Apple make to Music and "lyrics visualizer" is definitely not one of them. The company that has always boasted about "music in their DNA" misses the mark on a regular basis as it relates to their marquee music app. Apple isn't listening and I believe they frankly don't give a damn. Sad.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 19 of 21
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    yuck9 said:
    hexclock said:
    yuck9 said:
    Well they did. They braged we are making a charger did they not ? Then that fell flat. 
    Yes, I see it now. It was the first cracked brick of Apple's crumbling empire. Thanks for educating me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    How do they even get the info for the visualizer? WHERE DO THE LYRICS COME FROM???