Apple unveils new Apple Watch Series 5, with always on screen

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 2020
At Tuesday's event, Apple revealed the latest edition of Apple Watch with a screen that stays on all the time. Raising your wrist increases the brightness, but the display is permanently on with Apple Watch Series 5

The new Apple Watch Series 5
The new Apple Watch Series 5

As part of its September 10 event, Apple launched an updated version of the Apple Watch called the Series 5. It adds the much-awaited always-on display that means the screen is on permanently.

The screen intelligently dims until you raise your wrist or tap on the screen. An ultra-low power display driver, plus newly optimized watch faces contribute to meaning Apple claims the Watch retains an all-day 18-hour battery life.

Apple Watch Series 5 with GPS will start from $399. The cellular model starts at $499. Both are equipped with 32GB of storage and are available to order today, with stock arriving in Apple Stores on Sept. 20.

"We've seen Apple Watch have a meaningful impact on our customers' lives and we're excited to deliver even more capabilities with Apple Watch Series 5 and watchOS 6," said Jeff Williams, Apple's chief operating officer in a statement.

"The seamless integration of new hardware and software delivers an enhanced experience that makes it even easier to stay active and connected to the people and information users care about," he continued.

The Series 5 also contains a new compass app that shows your elevation as well as direction. New watch face Complications include the option for a compass arrow too.

Cellular models gain International Emergency Calling, too, which means that from the Watch you can phone the local emergency services in 150 countries. This works regardless of what country you bought your Watch in, and whether or not you have an iPhone nearby.

As previously expected, the Apple Watch Series 5 now comes in a choice of materials, from the regular aluminum, to ceramic and titanium.

There are two versions of the titanium Apple Watch Series 5. One is a natural titanium with brushed finish and a second is a space black version with a deep color and a diamond-like coating.

The white ceramic material, in particular, has been wanted since Apple dropped it from the range last year.

Apple has remained the stainless steel versions of Apple Watch in gold, silver and space gray. The aluminum edition is now made entirely from 100% recycled materials.

Apple Watch Studio lets you choose your Watch and band online
Apple Watch Studio lets you choose your Watch and band online

Apple also announced the new Apple Watch Studio, an online feature for picking your type of Watch and choice of case. Apple Watch Studio went live as soon as the keynote finished.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    So much for the “no new Watch” murmurs on here. This update is awesome. Definite upgrade from my S1. 
    StrangeDayscornchipdocno42lolliverspace2001macguiAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 50
    No word on the processor?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Very nice update on the watch anyway.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 50
    Cool watch but 18hrs battery life is still pretty bad. 
    larryasandorravnorodom
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Always on display, people got what they wanted. 
    razorpitminicoffeelolliverbrucemcuraharaAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 50
    Can’t wait to order this bad boy!  Hopefully there’s a GPS model in Stainless or Titanium 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 50
    bigtds said:
    Mine lasts 4 days however, I'm not on of those people continuously on it.
    minicoffeelolliveruraharaAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Damnit. Now I have to buy a new Watch. I thought always-on was at least another year off.
    lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 50
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I hope it means that if I have only "raise to on", it means longer battery life????
    cornchipbonobobmacguiAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 50
    evilution said:
    bigtds said:
    Mine lasts 4 days however, I'm not on of those people continuously on it.
    That's pretty good. That's the way I would use it.
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 50
    I misread that as "no word processor?" Probably not the best interface for text input!  :)
    uktechieGeorgeBMaclollivermuthuk_vanalingammatrix077AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Still only 18 hours in an Apple “day”.
    uktechielarrya
  • Reply 13 of 50
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    IMO Watch stole show. nice update. iPhone was almost all camera. nice but boring. I tuned in a little late did they even talk about iOS?
    uktechiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 50
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I was expecting to hear something in regards to a body temperature sensor. No rumors mentioned that, but I thought it would be useful for things like sleep tracking. Speaking of which I missed the keynote. Was there any talk of sleep monitoring like a lot of people thought there was going to be?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Guess this is the one I finally buy!
    uktechietmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 50
    The ceramic and titanium variants are the "edition" models, starting at $1299 and $799 apparently. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 50
    The Series 4 is gone. Wonder what that will do to the resale value? And whether Apple will be offering trade-ins (ups.) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Fantastic! Definitely the most interesting and worthwhile update with some truly new things such as always on, but also compass. These are features the average user needs. Really great update – I can finally update my series 0. Only unfortunate that the black/volt band is gone – after finally – and also a great update – Apple Watch is fully configurable. 
    uktechielolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 50
    eightzero said:
    The Series 4 is gone. Wonder what that will do to the resale value? And whether Apple will be offering trade-ins (ups.) 
    yes apple allow trade-in on the watch like they do for the phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 50
    S5 fully explained in the keynote. Also note they doubled the storage ram to 32GB. Yes!
    uktechiemacguiwatto_cobra