Apple Watch Series 5 -- hands on and first impressions

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 11
Apple has made the Apple Watch Series 5 official and AppleInsider has already gone hands-on with the new features, case designs, and Always-On Retina display. Here are our first impressions.

Apple Watch Series 5
Apple Watch Series 5


A year ago we got the Apple Watch Series 4 with a big redesign, larger display, and a host of other features. Today's Apple Watch Series 5 is a bit more iterative -- but with two big additions.

Apple Watch Series 5 First Look

While the Apple Watch Series 5 now has 32GB of flash store, the most prominent feature addition is the new display which retains the same 40mm and 44mm sizes but is now an Always-On Retina display. It works great in practice and was easy to see the display dim when we dropped our wrist wearing the watch.






On the watch face, third-party complications dim just as Apple's do though third-party apps are slightly different. When in a third-party app on Series 5 and focus is lost, the display appears to frost over and the time is overlaid on top.

Premium Titanium and Ceramic Cases

We also have two new case materials this year in the form of ceramic and titanium in the Apple Watch Edition lineup. We've seen the ceramic offering before in the clean, glossy, creamy white but the titanium is new for Apple Watch.

Apple Watch Series 5 in black titaniumApple Watch Series 5 in space black titanium



The titanium Series 5 has a brushed, metallic appearance versus the matte anodized aluminum or the glossy stainless steel. The silver titanium is very apparent whereas the Space Black titanium is slightly less noticeable thanks to the diamond-like coating that provides for its color.

For deals and product availability on the Apple Watch Series 5, be sure to check out our Apple Watch 5 Price Guide.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 38
    I wonder how the natural brushed Ti looks with the Link Bracelet and the Milanese Loop. I probably wont upgrade from my S4, but the Ti S5 looks pretty sleek... perhaps upgrading t6 S6 next year :P
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,459member
    Black titanium looks awesome!
    edited September 10 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 1,728member
    lkrupp said:
    Black titanium looks awesome!
    Except it will get dirty if it comes in contact with denim or leather...
    kurairazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 38
    jccjcc Posts: 230member
    Can you actually turn off the always on feature? I would like it if we can have the screen turn on only if I touch the screen or crown. That way I can extend the battery life even more.
    airnerdAppleExposedwatto_cobraFlytrap
  • Reply 5 of 38
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,337member
    The titanium is intriguing, but I still prefer the lightest weight option - aluminum.  Which, as a Cheap Bastard™, also rewards me from that perspective too :)

    It's nice that all the aluminum colors are the same price now - charging more for black when it debuted was obnoxious.  

    The Milanese Loop is indeed a work of metal art, but I've been extremely pleased with the velcro loop bands (whatever they call them) - light weight and astonishingly durable.  I garden and do other crap with the watch on and the dirt rinses right out and the band dries amazingly fast.  Whatever material Apple made them from was chosen wisely!
    edited September 10 kuraiJapheypscooter63AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Prediction: That slick black leather Hermes watch, with the continual watchface, will find more high-end buyers than ever.
    JWSCAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 38
    All I care is whether or when I can have one work independently not coupled to the same phone number as my iPhone...
    davgreg
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Series 5 looks sleek (still debating about Titanium version). Unfortunately I am not in Watch market this year as I just bought Series 4 last year and still love it to bit.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Apple Insider, Could I please request a deeper dig into contrasting the S5 chip in Series 5 versus the S4 chip in the model discontinued today?

    From what I can tell, they’re both advertised as being 2x faster than the S3 chip, both dual core, so what gives?

    We’re not used to Apple slapping on a new chip name without some improvements, but does this new watch iteration only have a new display allowing for “always on,” and a compass?

    Thank you,
    A Loyal Reader
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 1,946member
    egold44 said:
    Apple Insider, Could I please request a deeper dig into contrasting the S5 chip in Series 5 versus the S4 chip in the model discontinued today?

    From what I can tell, they’re both advertised as being 2x faster than the S3 chip, both dual core, so what gives?

    We’re not used to Apple slapping on a new chip name without some improvements, but does this new watch iteration only have a new display allowing for “always on,” and a compass?

    Thank you,
    A Loyal Reader
    Ugh! 

    Apple Watch Series 5 First Look

    Soli
  • Reply 11 of 38
    kevin kee said:
    Series 5 looks sleek (still debating about Titanium version). Unfortunately I am not in Watch market this year as I just bought Series 4 last year and still love it to bit.
    I'm glad I waited. This is the first version that has it all.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 38
    sgordon said:
    All I care is whether or when I can have one work independently not coupled to the same phone number as my iPhone...
    Contact your carrier as they would be the one controlling that outcome.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 38
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,823member
    Apple has done amazing work in design and engineering with the Apple Watch.   (Still hoping they make the jump to Solid State battery technology ).   

    Is the Apple Watch now subject to a Tariff?    Is Apple absorbing the Tariff or does that get added on at checkout like a sales tax?   The last I heard was the Tariff on the Watch was 15% but that can change on an hourly basis because of Trump.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    jcc said:
    Can you actually turn off the always on feature? I would like it if we can have the screen turn on only if I touch the screen or crown. That way I can extend the battery life even more.
    TBD. I’m with you. But I’m buying it anyway.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 38
    egold44 said:
    Apple Insider, Could I please request a deeper dig into contrasting the S5 chip in Series 5 versus the S4 chip in the model discontinued today?

    From what I can tell, they’re both advertised as being 2x faster than the S3 chip, both dual core, so what gives?

    We’re not used to Apple slapping on a new chip name without some improvements, but does this new watch iteration only have a new display allowing for “always on,” and a compass?

    Thank you,
    A Loyal Reader
    Watch the video of the presentation. It’s a different processor with Low Temperature Poly Silicon and Oxide (LTPO) screen that allows variable screen refresh from 60Hz to 1 hert/sec, a new ambient light sensor, a new low power display driver, and an Ultra Efficient Power Management Integrated Circuit which all work seamlessly together. You know it’s gotta be a new processor because the display is ALWAYS ON yet it continues to get 18 hour battery life. The insides are all new and improved.
    edited September 10 egold44watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 38
    I have stainless steel now, but with so many revisions coming out so often I will go for stainless steel in the future. Lighter too for when exercising. 
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Thanks for the video. As far as feedback — it’s a bit heavy on a talking head, would like more footage of the products. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Folio said:
    Prediction: That slick black leather Hermes watch, with the continual watchface, will find more high-end buyers than ever.
    I agree completely, it’s very striking. I’m in the early stages of talking myself into getting one, but I want to see how heavy the titanium version is first. Also, that black Hermès comes with a black sport band instead of the signature orange one the silver versions ship with. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 38
    docno42 said:
    The titanium is intriguing, but I still prefer the lightest weight option - aluminum.  Which, as a Cheap Bastard™, also rewards me from that perspective too :)

    It's nice that all the aluminum colors are the same price now - charging more for black when it debuted was obnoxious.  

    The Milanese Loop is indeed a work of metal art, but I've been extremely pleased with the velcro loop bands (whatever they call them) - light weight and astonishingly durable.  I garden and do other crap with the watch on and the dirt rinses right out and the band dries amazingly fast.  Whatever material Apple made them from was chosen wisely!
    What makes you think the Ti option isn't the lightest weight?  I have a mechanical Swiss watch with titanium case and bracelet and it's surprisedly light.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 38
    The White Ceramic version looks phenomenal! That's my Watch!! Always-on is now a reality!
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.