The next .Mac : what should it have?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    The next .Mac should have virtual hosting. In other words, I want to be able to host my vanity domain on .Mac.

Mobile phone to .Mac synchronization over the air, presumably via iSync, is the other function I want to see added.

Escher
  • Reply 22 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

No they wont ddo that, but maybe you could get a discount.

I disagree. It's entirely possible especially if they expect me to pay $99/year for .Mac. Right now there are people who don't upgrade with every new release and don't use .Mac. This is incentive for people to pony up the $99/year for the service.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I disagree. It's entirely possible especially if they expect me to pay $99/year for .Mac. Right now there are people who don't upgrade with every new release and don't use .Mac. This is incentive for people to pony up the $99/year for the service.

$99 is a good deal about a 27 cents a day for 100mb space and all the other feautures you get. Steve jobs said himself at the most recent macworld in sanfrancisco .mac isn't cheap to maintain so we've mad a resonable price.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    .mac is a pretty terrible deal right now...so I expect to see some improvements in service reliabilty AND a discount on Panther if they want to keep my business.

Or switch to tiered pricing.

No way I'm paying TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for my wife and I this fall.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

The blogging idea sounds good. Create an app. Call it iBlog or something. You can use it to publish to your .mac account or some other webdav enabled server if you don't have .mac. It would be cool and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Umm, iBlog already exists, and it works exactly as you described. Great program. I use it to publish my blog. If you don't have a .Mac account, iBlog also works with FTP. I just hope these guys aren't Watsoned.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

What about a messageboard? So that your far-flung family can post and discuss the photographs and such that you keep on your .Mac website? I'd sure use it.

Yes, umm, this also exists. It's called Dotmac Info/. Register with the site, and you can share your photos, movies, and homepages with hundreds of other .Mac members.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

$99 is a good deal about a 27 cents a day for 100mb space and all the other feautures you get. Steve jobs said himself at the most recent macworld in sanfrancisco .mac isn't cheap to maintain so we've mad a resonable price.

Don't get completely sucked in by the RDF now. $100 per user is quite a fee. It's $25M for 250,000 subscribers (not counting discounts.) .Mac is not a good deal at the moment.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Haven't all of apples products been on the pricy side? compared to other competition. You should expect the price to be higher.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Haven't all of apples products been on the pricy side? compared to other competition. You should expect the price to be higher.

Apple is quite generous with its non-hardware products.

iMovie? Free.

iTunes? Free.

iPhoto? Free.

Final Cut Express? $299.

Mac OS X? $129. Windows XP Home? $199.

Mac OS X Family Pack (5 licenses)? $199. Windows XP Home (5 licenses)? $995.

Keynote? $99. Powerpoint? You don't want to know.

AppleWorks? $79.

I expect Apple to do what it takes to get more people to stay up to date with the latest versions of Mac OS X *and* get more .Mac subscribers, because if they don't offer something substantial, I'm not going to renew.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It's hard to thin of much beyond some extra service-oriented features (e-mail, storage) that Aple could put in .Mac to make it more worthwhile. I think the discount "club" idea is the only other really compelling one. Most other stuff is either not strategic, part of a whole package, or else it's something that either they can sell or should give to every Macinotsh owner. I thought of a souped up Disk Utility with defragging, but it might be a bit unfair to other users(?).
  • Reply 31 of 43
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Umm, iBlog already exists, and it works exactly as you described. Great program. I use it to publish my blog. If you don't have a .Mac account, iBlog also works with FTP. I just hope these guys aren't Watsoned.

The interface on that bad boy sucks SO bad, it's not even funny.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'd love to be able to view my iCal calendar online.

iDisk performance really needs to be improved. I don't know where the problems lie here -- on the web server end, within OS X, or a combination of the two -- but I've been having all sort of grief just trying to move files around -- lately I often resort to command-line copying because drag-and-drop copying fails so often.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    php and mysql support.

i've never used the templates.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I'd love to be able to view my iCal calendar online.

You can post/subscribe to iCal calendars on line now. What's weird is that there's no access via the person's main Homepage. Further, you can only sync to these calendars, not create new appointments online or anything. A more robust iCal subscription service is definitely a good idea.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

You can post.subscribe to iCal calendars on line now. What's weird is that there's no access via the person's main Homepage. Further, you can only sync to these calendars, not create new appointments online or anything. A more robust iCal subscription service is definitely a good idea.

To be more clear, what I meant was a web interface for at least viewing, if not modifying, your personal calendar -- as opposed to the nice, but not all I'd hope for -- ability to post and subscribe calendars that have to be viewed through iCal itself.

It would be great to be able to check my iCal calendar here at work, on the web, from my office Windows PC.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Err.. hate moving these active threads guys, I was hoping it would slide down the page... but you people keep posting in it!!!

Discussion of all things .Mac does belong in Software, as it says in the description on the front forum page:

Software talk, including OS X software, gaming, OS 9, and .Mac.

So I will just nicely, trying to not piss anyone off, quietly, with a smile on my face, nicely just nudge it into Software. Please don't yell.

• Reply 37 of 43
    Aaaargggh!

And back to the thread...

What iCal currently lets you do is publish your calandars to ical.mac.com/yourname/Calendarname.ics Just look under the Calendar menu. But this doesn't give you the ability to edit appointments and stuff online, and even stranger is that there's no built-in method of linking to this page from your .Mac Homepage. You must know the complete address, or e-mail yourself the link.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Bottom line is that Apple started charging for .Mac at least a year too early, before .Mac was worth anything. Let's hope that by September 2003 we'll be getting our money's worth.

Escher
  • Reply 39 of 43
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

5. extra perks for the iApps: tunes, stock pictures, sounds, movie clips, etc.

Well, there's sounds and music clips already available. Go to your iDisk->Software->Extras->Freeplay Music. They're made for use in iMovie.

Just be prepared for dog-slow downloads.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

...this doesn't give you the ability to edit appointments and stuff online, and even stranger is that there's no built-in method of linking to this page from your .Mac Homepage. You must know the complete address, or e-mail yourself the link.

Last time I did it, I could swear there was a little note onscreen telling me exactly what the address was...