Don't update to iOS 13 just yet -- wait for iOS 13.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    No issues here. 
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 74
    I appreciate the intent of the article, to warn people that they might have some problems if they update now. However, it is very disappointing that AI chose not to detail the bugs so that users could have an informed decision to make. The one bug you chose to throw in at the end of the article is one that apparently is easily remedied without waiting for the 13.1 update. 
    StrangeDaysnetmageDeelrondysamoriawlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 74
    So what are all the iPhone 11 users supposed to do? Not use their brand new phones until Sept 30th? While people should be cautious with any major upgrade, Apple software (with the exception of a couple of releases in history) are surprisingly stable. I upgraded as soon as it was released, I have had no issues in the day since it's been out. My only real complaint is that Apple has gotten lazy, and the macOS, tvOS, and iPadOS were not released at the same time. Having different devices with different capabilities and commands can be a pain. Ecosystem temporarily broken.
    dysamoriamacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 74
    After the upgrade, all my bookmark at Safari were GONE, except 2....YAIKZ
  • Reply 25 of 74
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Updated my X and Watch last night. No issues yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 74
    In my family, I'm tasked with compatibility testing (I still remember when it took 6 months for a developer to fix one of my daughter's favorite games and I was blamed for it breaking) before any upgrades, so I had little choice but to test it. iCloud syncing of Reminders is a train wreck on my personal iPhone. Fortunately, I set up family sharing of those reminders to my work iPhone, so I can still get at the proper set of Reminders. If you do not have to be on iOS 13.0, I wholeheartedly agree with the crux of this article. Wait.
    edited September 2019 dysamoriamuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 74
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    This advice is just plain silly. All software has bugs, an iOS 13.0 has no more or less than any other OS Apple has released. None of those bugs are more than annoyances.
    uraharaStrangeDaysn2itivguymacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 74
    I'm sure upgrading early can be an issue for some depending on the programs/apps they are using.  Personally I have always updated as soon as an update was available since the early '90's.  Have never had a "memorable" issue, although I'm sure there were some, just nothing that was a "big deal" you might say.  We have updated both phones, and a watch without any issues.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 74
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    fred1 said:
    I'm grateful for this warning.  I'll definitely wait for 13.1.

I can't understand why Apple went ahead and released version 13.0 with these bugs.  I know, I know, there are often problems with new iOS versions, but this time there's a later version already ready.  Why release a version with known problems for which there's a solution ready?
    Geez. Nothing wrong with 13.0. 
    uraharaStrangeDaysn2itivguyAppleExposed
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Maybe good advice in hindsight but it’s unacceptable for email, one of the main purposes of the OS to have issues but Apples lost its way a bit over the years. And Of course if you picked up your new iPhone today you didn’t have a choice. That said my 11 Pro Max is fine. Emails working normally. New Apple Watch is great too. Only annoyance is no ECG for Australia yet again. Looking forward to installing iPad OS soon.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Snidely said:
    Maybe good advice in hindsight but it’s unacceptable for email, one of the main purposes of the OS to have issues but Apples lost its way a bit over the years. And Of course if you picked up your new iPhone today you didn’t have a choice. That said my 11 Pro Max is fine. Emails working normally. New Apple Watch is great too. Only annoyance is no ECG for Australia yet again. Looking forward to installing iPad OS soon.
    [Apple Mail ] Email is one of the main purposes of the OS?
    Definitely not for me. 

And what was Apple’s way by your definition? 
  • Reply 32 of 74
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    There is also a lock screen bi-pass vulnerability in 13.0.

It’s now only 4 days until 13.1 is released! I can live with a few bugs and a vulnerability for 4 days. For me it was worth it just to get to play with the new CarPlay.

It’s a little amusing to me to hear people that themselves chose to run the betas for months caution others from running a buggy version for 4-5 days.

When Apple release these updates they usually wait a several days before sending push notifications to users to invite them to update. In this case, given that there are just 5 days between releases, the vast majority of the user base might not even notice that 13.0 is available and end up going straight to 13.1.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    muaddib said:
    I love the unknown calls direct to voice mail feature.  I would get 3 robocalls a day.  Now direct to voice mail.
    Apple should add the ability for AI to 'listen' to the message and junk all those that are in some national list of scam calls too, such as 'this is the IRS' or 'this is Social Security' or my five times a day 'Your car's warranty has expired' referring to a lease car already turned in and replaced.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    muaddib said:
    I love the unknown calls direct to voice mail feature.  I would get 3 robocalls a day.  Now direct to voice mail.
    Apple should add the ability for AI to 'listen' to the message and junk all those that are in some national list of scam calls too, such as 'this is the IRS' or 'this is Social Security' or my five times a day 'Your car's warranty has expired' referring to a lease car already turned in and replaced.
    Kind of a receptionist screening capability? For a suspected spam call the virtual receptionist steps in to take a note:  "Say your name and why you're calling"....
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 74
    flydog said:
    This advice is just plain silly. All software has bugs, an iOS 13.0 has no more or less than any other OS Apple has released. None of those bugs are more than annoyances.
    It’s not silly for people who need their phone working well because they need it for their work.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Ran the beta ipadOS without any significant issues, and running 13 on my iphone. No issues. This article is light on what the supposed bugs are and how widespread. As usual, I doubt it’s anywhere as significant as the rumor mill is purporting. 
    ricmacn2itivguymacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 74
    iOS 13 is good so far on my XMax. BUT I installed the Scrivener update for 13 and it crashes a few seconds after I try to sync:-( I wont update Scrivener on the iPad for a while. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Phew...13 was a bugger. I had several problems with networking, contacts, iCloud, Mail.app (I'm now using a nicer mail application called "Spark") and contacts just wouldn't talk properly... wrong numbers were dialed, callers were simply disconnected I couldn't make iCloud backups, so reverted backing up to Mac. The router passwords were constantly being rejected and the final straw was when my iPhone couldn't connect to my AppleWatch4 no, it couldn't even see it: Pairing AW42iP was impossible.
    Then 13.1 came and I carried out a completely fresh install... all the obvious faults I experienced now appear to have been corrected. Though how many niggles remain remains to be seen.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    Everybody, including Gruber, has jumped on the "iOS 13 is buggy" bandwagon and the advice is to wait until Tuesday!  So, I had to find out for myself.  Installed it (XS Max).  Tech aware granddaughter installed it; I put it on my wife's 7.  Granddaughter and I had a contest to see who could find a bug first.  Nothing, nada.  I realize that some folks do different things than I do, or my granddaughter or wife does; but my suspicion is that a vast majority of users will have very little to worry about.  I rarely comment, but I jumped in here because I wanted to represent the minority opinion.
    n2itivguymacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 74
    I normally don't have any issues, but this time around after updating to iOS 13 (XS) upon opening the new reminders app, all of my reminders (100+) are missing. There are 0 reminders on my phone now. After checking iCloud.com, I see that they are still out on iCloud but for some reason not on my phone. And yes, I've checked all the iCloud and Reminders settings. Hopefully 13.1 will rectify this.
    dysamoriawlym