Don't update to iOS 13 just yet -- wait for iOS 13.1

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    podlasek said:
    So what are all the iPhone 11 users supposed to do? Not use their brand new phones until Sept 30th? While people should be cautious with any major upgrade, Apple software (with the exception of a couple of releases in history) are surprisingly stable. I upgraded as soon as it was released, I have had no issues in the day since it's been out. My only real complaint is that Apple has gotten lazy, and the macOS, tvOS, and iPadOS were not released at the same time. Having different devices with different capabilities and commands can be a pain. Ecosystem temporarily broken.
    So the only reason to stagger these releases is laziness? Sheesh..
  • Reply 42 of 74
    I do like that Messages notes if Siri was used to send a message now, now it will explain those strange messages I get sometimes....
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 74
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    robjn said:
    There is also a lock screen bi-pass vulnerability in 13.0.

It’s now only 4 days until 13.1 is released! I can live with a few bugs and a vulnerability for 4 days. For me it was worth it just to get to play with the new CarPlay.

It’s a little amusing to me to hear people that themselves chose to run the betas for months caution others from running a buggy version for 4-5 days.

When Apple release these updates they usually wait a several days before sending push notifications to users to invite them to update. In this case, given that there are just 5 days between releases, the vast majority of the user base might not even notice that 13.0 is available and end up going straight to 13.1.
    The vulnerability you mentioned requires physical access to the phone and only involves access to Contacts. I'm not losing any sleep over this, but your sleep tolerances may vary. 

It is funny to me that folks are painting iOS 13.1 as a "bug fix" release for iOS 13.0. There will be more bugs crushed in the newer release just like there is with most any release, and possibly even some new ones spawned, but the real focus of the iOS 13.1 version are new features. If Apple was only shipping out a bug fix to iOS 13.0 I'd expect them to label it something like iOS 13.0.1. Software development organizations try very hard to adhere to a versioning scheme that conveys something like major version.minor version.maintenance (or bug fix) version with a bunch of backing rules that determine how the tuples in the complete version number are incremented and what it means in terms of expectations around backward compatibility, interoperability, and several other such things known to the dev team and their sponsors. Every team has its own set of rules, but when I see the second tuple incremented in the full version identifier I fully expect to see new features or relatively small changes to existing features and more than just bug fixes.
    edited September 2019 macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Its worth noting that for anyone planning on upgrading to the iPhone 11, its a good idea to have 13 installed on your old device since your new phone will have 13.  This way transferring data/restoring to new phone will be completely compatible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 74
    This article is way too easygoing about the way the tech industry pushes unfinished and broken software; the same can be said about most tech and gadget people. The industry has conditioned everyone so thoroughly.

[shakes head]
    magman1979
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Apple's new iOS 13 has been officially released and it's come with bugs.

Guess your writing does as well.  Does anyone proof read anything anymore?
    I normally am irritated by typos, but, actually, “it’s” works as a contraction for “it has”.
    bloodshotrollin'redOnPartyBusinesswatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 74
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member
    Lots of problems for me, really frustrating. Apple Watch Podcasts app just crashes on launch now. Reminders app on my watch doesn't sync with iPhone anymore nor can I even add a reminder on the watch, it just disappears (Siri says "there's a problem" when I try to add by voice). Voice Memos app on Watch, iPhone and Mac don't sync so each device only has access to its own memos. There was no warning before using Reminders on my iPhone that it would break syncing with my Mac! Had I known I would NEVER have updated. What is this hot mess?
  • Reply 48 of 74
    flydog said:
    fred1 said:
    I'm grateful for this warning.  I'll definitely wait for 13.1.

I can't understand why Apple went ahead and released version 13.0 with these bugs.  I know, I know, there are often problems with new iOS versions, but this time there's a later version already ready.  Why release a version with known problems for which there's a solution ready?
    Geez. Nothing wrong with 13.0. 
    Geez. Maybe not for you (lucky!) but read the internet, most reviewers (Daring Fireball, Wired, Engadget, etc.) are saying "WAIT!" because of the bugs. I wish I had.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Multiple phones, no problems with iOS 13.0. I have an iPad on iOS 13.1 beta and it's super stable as well.

When you "upgrade" reminders it can take a few minutes for them all to appear again. Don't panic! They are being synced to iCloud and then coming back eventually one by one.
    Apple's release strategy is how most software companies work now and have for some time. Developers work on multiple parallel branches and may or may not merge bug-fixes from a newer branch to and older one- it's always a judgement call as to whether merging a bug-fix is worth the risk. I'll just be careful to not let strangers grab my iPhone and look at my contacts until 13.1!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 74

ricmac said:
    Everybody, including Gruber, has jumped on the "iOS 13 is buggy" bandwagon and the advice is to wait until Tuesday!  So, I had to find out for myself.  Installed it (XS Max).  Tech aware granddaughter installed it; I put it on my wife's 7.  Granddaughter and I had a contest to see who could find a bug first.  Nothing, nada.  I realize that some folks do different things than I do, or my granddaughter or wife does; but my suspicion is that a vast majority of users will have very little to worry about.  I rarely comment, but I jumped in here because I wanted to represent the minority opinion.
    Good for you! For me: buggy. Buggy Apple Watch Series 4, buggy iPhone XS, buggy syncing across devices. 

Everybody's on this "wear a bike helmet" bandwagon but I just fell off my bike and was fine so…
  • Reply 51 of 74
    Here's my bug list from iOS 13.0, and yes I'm sorry I upgraded yesterday, and yes I've reported all of them to Apple:

• New Mail items are not being reflected by the usual red icon Badge denoting how many unread messages I have; settings in Notifications -> Mail -> (Account Name) are correct and Badges are enabled... Only after opening the Mail app then returning to the Home screen does the Badge appear on the Mail icon
    • Mail function "Show Related Messages" previously available by swiping on a message thread to the left and hitting the three dot menu, is gone, thus when I try to file a message thread into a sub-folder now, it doesn't move my responses to messages, only received messages
    • Notification sync between Apple Watch S3 upgraded to watchOS 6 is broken; cleared notifications on Watch do not clear on iPhone, and vice versa, and also some notifications do not sync between them at all
    • Notifications from app Zoom (video conferencing app) are completely broken
    • iMessage in the Cloud syncing to iOS 12.x devices no longer consistent; other devices still on 12.x are showing large gaps in messages originally responded to on iOS 13 device, and still not synced after 24 hours
    • Swiping between home screens on iPhone X occasionally "gittery" and hesitant
    • Safari Device Tabs (area showing all open Safari tabs on all iCloud connected devices) gone from iOS 13 Safari, and new Safari 13.0 on macOS; guessing this isn't a bug but deliberate removal to force users to use Handoff
    • In Dark Mode, in Settings app (as an example), when quickly scrolling up or down in any list (iPhone X), the vertical edges of the dark-grey background of an element appears to disappear partially during the scrolling; does not occur in Light Mode
    That's about all I could find for now, but iOS 13 definitely has some glaring bugs to those who pay attention. The Mail issue is a show stopper, but thankfully deleting the Mail app and re-installing from the App Store and reloading the data seems to have corrected the notification badge issue, but still don't have Show Related Messages, which is vital to my work email workflow.

EDIT:

I stand corrected, uninstalling / re-installing Mail did NOT fix the problem, and in fact now the issue is worse because Push sync for iCloud and one of my Exchange account is totally dead; only pulls content down when I open the actual app, this is a joke.
    edited September 2019 wlym
  • Reply 52 of 74
    dysamoria said:
    This article is way too easygoing about the way the tech industry pushes unfinished and broken software; the same can be said about most tech and gadget people. The industry has conditioned everyone so thoroughly.

[shakes head]
    You took the words right out of my mouth! And when I try to have a rational discussion about this topic, especially with Windows users, they look at me as if I'm the uptight one that's always looking for perfection and not realizing "this is normal"...

Since when did bugs and garbage code / hardware become the new normal??? (Referencing Windows / Android world, not Apple, even though iOS 13.0 falls under buggy)

SMFH
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 53 of 74
    fred1 said:
    I'm grateful for this warning.  I'll definitely wait for 13.1.

I can't understand why Apple went ahead and released version 13.0 with these bugs.  I know, I know, there are often problems with new iOS versions, but this time there's a later version already ready.  Why release a version with known problems for which there's a solution ready?
    Reason: iPhone 11 announcement date and preinstalling 13.0 on millions of units + investor targets. 
    Apple could have renumbered iOS 3.1 to iOS 13.0 and avoided having and giving headaches to so many people.

"Investor(s) targets" you mean those people who speculate by acquiring shares? Apple's top priority "investors" are its customers, those of us who kept Apple alive when it was dying and knew it would flourish with the return of one of Apple's visionary founders. Now the conviction is waning and I still cannot understand Jobs' choice of CEO...a numbers cruncher with the visionary scope of Mr. Magoo.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    techno said:
    I appreciate the intent of the article, to warn people that they might have some problems if they update now. However, it is very disappointing that AI chose not to detail the bugs so that users could have an informed decision to make. The one bug you chose to throw in at the end of the article is one that apparently is easily remedied without waiting for the 13.1 update. 
    NDA's
  • Reply 55 of 74

Geez. Maybe not for you (lucky!) but read the internet, most reviewers (Daring Fireball, Wired, Engadget, etc.) are saying "WAIT!" because of the bugs. I wish I had.
    But one thing to remember is that the numbers on their pay check depend on how many clicks they generate.  Not on how factual, or objective they are. Nothing like a good controversial headline when the rent is due.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 74
    podlasek said:
    So what are all the iPhone 11 users supposed to do? Not use their brand new phones until Sept 30th? While people should be cautious with any major upgrade, Apple software (with the exception of a couple of releases in history) are surprisingly stable. I upgraded as soon as it was released, I have had no issues in the day since it's been out. My only real complaint is that Apple has gotten lazy, and the macOS, tvOS, and iPadOS were not released at the same time. Having different devices with different capabilities and commands can be a pain. Ecosystem temporarily broken.
    ...it continues... Apple's expanding range of OS's and product disparity is reminiscent of Microsoft's lame efforts before Windows 10.

Both companies have seemingly swapped places but the danger for Apple it is exposed by having too few new customers and tense third party suppliers.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    If you haven't updated to iOS 13 already, then you might as well wait for Tuesday and just start with iOS 13.1. Your weekend will be less annoying as a result. There was just too much wrong with iOS 13.0 when they wrapped on it.
    wlym
  • Reply 58 of 74
    dysamoria said:

[shakes head]
    As stated in the article (using other words), the Law of Large Numbers means that despite all the beta testing, a general release of an OS to many millions of users will almost certainly turn up previously undiscovered bugs.  When you send something out to 20 million people, a one-in-a-million error will likely turn up twenty times. Add to that the self selection bias inherent in the relative tendency of those who found the problems also finding places to broadcast their experience, and you have all the makings of a distorted perception of the frequency of these newfound issues. 

With millions (billions?) of lines of code in an operating system, all of it is unfinished and broken somewhere. If your expectation is that a general release of something like iOS should have no errors or problems at all, you are in for a lifetime of constant disappointment. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 74
    There is an article that points out that Apple shipped a lot of iPhones before September first to avoid Tariffs. They had to ship with iOS 13 to make it legal. It is a strategy. Not an oversight. 

https://onezero.medium.com/ios-13s-beta-split-is-down-to-trump-s-threatened-tariffs-not-missed-features-667ff8e41b0e
    AppleZuluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 74
    MisterKit said:
    There is an article that points out that Apple shipped a lot of iPhones before September first to avoid Tariffs. They had to ship with iOS 13 to make it legal. It is a strategy. Not an oversight. 

https://onezero.medium.com/ios-13s-beta-split-is-down-to-trump-s-threatened-tariffs-not-missed-features-667ff8e41b0e
    This offers a pretty solid explanation of why a 13.1 release (containing some delayed features) would come so quickly on the heels of deliveries of new iPhones and 13.0.

Who would have thought that trade-policy-by-tweet could have a disruptive effect on business?
    MisterKitwatto_cobra