Google Chrome update corrupting some macOS installs -- but there's a fix

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    MacPro said:
    greg uvan said:
    I actually avoid Google as much as possible. I have about 250 Google owned domains listed in /etc/hosts that point at 127.0.0.1. The idea of using a Google owned webbrowser, where every keystroke and every click could in theory be mined by the great all-seeing eye, just makes me sick.
    Care to share that section of your host file?  I'd love to paste it in.  I already have a few in but not a large list.

Google (sic but other search engines re available) is your friend here. But beware, these sneaky so-and-so's keep changing them all the time just to block this sort of blocking.
    There are FaceBook, Twitter ones also available.
    I had a lot of them but in the end, I installed a P-PI system that takes care of it all in one place.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 56
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

auxio said:
    bsbeamer said:
    Not at all an excuse, but there are two big reasons people in these environments use Chrome - Remote Desktop
    VNC has been around for decades and works great (is built into macOS).  Why people feel the need to pipe everything through a web browser orfice... err... interface is beyond me.  I guess it's because so-called network security people think blocking everything except port 80 is a job well done.  I miss the days when there were nice, clean, low overhead, standardized network protocols for everything (FTP, SSH/SCP, VNC, etc).
    SSH, VNC and SFTP/FTP-over-SSH are alive and well. Don't let the silly browser plugin developers think these protocols have gone away. They haven't, not by a long shot. In fact, Apple Remote Desktop uses VNC when you connect to another Mac, even today.
    Yeah, I'm sure there are still well-designed networks out there which allow people to use the right tools for the job in a mixed environment.  I just have a lot of experience with the not-so-well-designed ones where they force you to use whatever the IT people have taken a course in/care to support.
    magman1979pscooter63watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 23 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    Mac Pros shipped with Mavericks, then came Yosemite. SIP didn’t arrive until El Capitan. I would think that studios would be little motivated to update the operating system if the one running is doing the job for them.
    As someone who maintains several classrooms devoted to both Avid's video and audio software (as well as other programs) you are occasionally held back from updating to any new macOS because they haven't made their programs compatible yet, usually for 6-12 months from when the OS is released. Then when they do support a new version (and add new desired features and or bug fixes) they usually lop off support for older macOS versions. Also their file formats change, so not upgrading also means your files may not be compatible with others you must share files with who are on different versions of their software like Pro Tools or Media Composer. I've been an Avid/Digidesign dealer and instructor for over 35 years and see this scenario play out repeatedly.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I find it heartwarming that this problem was caused by Google, a company that can do no wrong in so many people's eyes. I'm surrounded by people that insist on choosing Google products, and refuse to look at anything else. And they say that Mac users live in a closed environment? Nothing is more closed than choosing one vendor for your productivity software.

Simply because it's free. Not because its better, more secure, gives more privacy, but because it’s free, or so they think. That’s a helluva way to choose. 
    edited September 2019 watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 25 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    lkrupp said:
    I find it heartwarming that this problem was caused by Google, a company that can do no wrong in so many people's eyes. I'm surrounded by people that insist on choosing Google products, and refuse to look at anything else. And they say that Mac users live in a closed environment? Nothing is more closed than choosing one vendor for your productivity software.

Simply because it's free. Not because its better, more secure, gives more privacy, but because it’s free, or so they think. That’s a helluva way to choose. 
    When the choice on the PC side was between Google Chrome and Explorer it was almost a no-brainer to use Chrome. Now with Chrome on your home PC's and in offices and businesses too where you could log in and check your mail and news, save your passwords and quick access page for your most visited sites when that person adds a Mac then Chrome seems a natural choice. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 26 of 56
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    lkrupp said:

Sadly that’s true, it’s free. I once worked for a company that used Google Docs for their confidential inside the company correspondence and contracts. I tried to tell them it was a mistake, but they never listened. I mean why should they, I was only the IT guy with a decade of experience with data security. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 56
    IMHO, letting Chrome (or anything suppled by Google) onto your Mac is akin to opening the front door to the US Mint and letting the thieves help themselves.
    Google is out to steal all the data on your life and sell it to the highest bidder. It is clear and simple. If you are prepared for them to steal information about you and your work then carry on.

Google is banned from all my systems and has been for more than 10 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 56
    So... SIP is actually useful in protecting the integrity of the system. Good to know.

And Google Chrome developers are doing weird shit to the file system. Yet another reason for me to keep ignoring that browser.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Why would anyone on a Mac ditch Safari for Chrome is beyond me. This piece o garbage is a resource hog on par with some scientific computing programs I’m running.

Safari is one of the high points in my choosing of Apple hardware. But to each their own, dumb as it may appear... 
    I feel the same. Chrome is sooooo slow to load it is painful ands it’s memory/CPU footprint is massive. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Why would anyone on a Mac ditch Safari for Chrome is beyond me. This piece o garbage is a resource hog on par with some scientific computing programs I’m running.

Safari is one of the high points in my choosing of Apple hardware. But to each their own, dumb as it may appear... 
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

Where I work, I actively delete Google Chrome, especially on Mac's, anytime I encounter it, as any time a machine comes to the bench with issues, 99% of it I trace the problem back to Chrome.

Like with everything Google, it's fucking garbage to avoid like the plague!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 56
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

When the choice on the PC side was between Google Chrome and Explorer it was almost a no-brainer to use Chrome. Now with Chrome on your home PC's and in offices and businesses too where you could log in and check your mail and news, save your passwords and quick access page for your most visited sites when that person adds a Mac then Chrome seems a natural choice. 
    If you want to have a Google Account. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    steven n. said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

If you want to have a Google Account. 
    If you understood my post I was saying if you already had a Google account...
  • Reply 33 of 56
    MacPro said:
    greg uvan said:
    I actually avoid Google as much as possible. I have about 250 Google owned domains listed in /etc/hosts that point at 127.0.0.1. The idea of using a Google owned webbrowser, where every keystroke and every click could in theory be mined by the great all-seeing eye, just makes me sick.
    Care to share that section of your host file?  I'd love to paste it in.  I already have a few in but not a large list.
    Here, I made a github repository for them for you, (for everyone.)

This one lists over 200 domains for blocking Google, but you can still use google.com for search, in a pinch.

https://github.com/gnacu/hostblocking/blob/master/google

And this one, for extra measure, lists 895 for blocking Facebook. Another worthy endeavor. Word of warning, Instagram embeds around the web stop working. If you still want these, you'll have to selectively remove some of these entries. 

https://github.com/gnacu/hostblocking/blob/master/facebook

edited September 2019 cgWerksmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 56
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    lkrupp said:
    mac_128 said:

some corporate IT departments actually only support Chrome and Firefox, like mine which is part of a 10,000+ employee entertainment conglomerate which would actually run these types of machines and hardware.

Corporate IT departments have been the bane of Apple users for decades. While I can see the obvious problems in trying to support every browser and operating system platform they think they need to pick one or two and shut down the rest. I remember well the days when the first iPhone came out and corporate IT wonks went ballistic, refusing to allow iPhones on the network. Then one day the CEO came in with his/her brand new iPhone and was told it wouldn’t work. The response from the CEO was, “Well then, MAKE it work” and the rest is history.
    I wouln't blame IT for not deploying iPhone when they were released.  At the tine Apple provide no tools to deploy or manage iPhones in business / enterprises.  In my experience, I start to deploy iPhone with the 3G w/ MS ActiveSync, so it could integrate with MS Exchange.  It even include some security features, as Remote Wipe.  IMO, blame Apple and their lack of tools, resulting in IT departments being so slow in deploying their devices.  At least now things are different, with companies like Jamf and Microsoft creating tools to help IT departments with Apple devices.  
  • Reply 35 of 56
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    greg uvan said:
    Interesting how many people criticize Google for their privacy policies, while Apple get billions of $$$ every year to make Google Search the default search engine in their devices.  If Google is so bad for customers, why Apple do business with them, and make them the default search engine?  Could it be that Google isn't as bad as you think?  If Apple think that Google don't have a good privacy policy, they should stop doing business with them and use a search engine with a better privacy policy, as DuckDuck Go, right?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 56
    I can’t stop myself, I have to contribute my opinion.

Keystone is the real villain here. Google’s auto-update mechanism that has root privileges and can change any file anywhere on my system at any time without my permission. Sure, what could go wrong with that!??

Back in 2017 I warned colleagues about the risk of it going wrong and linked to a page of Keystone clear-out instructions. See if you’re infected and what it’s been up to with: 
    $ defaults read com.google.Keystone.Agent
    There are standalone/non-auto-updating versions available if you really need Chrome for testing/compatibility purposes.
    edited September 2019 watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Disabling SIP is also often necessary for doing system backups, since it blocks access to many of the files you'd normally want backed up (e.g., Documents). Time Machine isn't a good option once you're managing more than two or three workstations. Apple has never really been very focused on the needs of large-scale corporate deployments, since they see themselves strictly as a personal end-user brand.

In my experience the biggest reason people have for using Chrome is built-in support for Flash (required by many corporate systems), but that's going away soon anyway.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Hi, I am not an IT person, just a retiree with a 2013 MacBook Pro.  It was running Yosemite, and when i booted up after coming home from holidays, it was incredibly slow and had a funny google chrome update icon on the home page.  (after a couple of bootups, the icon disappeared).   I think I have been affected by the recent Chrome update.  I tried the fix provided on the Google Site, which was to boot up with Command R and reinstall the OS.  I received the message "A required download is missing”.   So I went back to Google (yes, this is how I find everything, but may revisit this decision) and I found a Forbes article and this discussion.  The Forbes article had a lot of non-code text in the code (hints about default boot disk name, etc.), so I tried the code here.  My boot disk is named Macintosh HD.  When I got to the Terminal screen to type in the code, there was "bash" and some numbers there (don't know if this is normal or not).  So I went ahead and typed in the first line of code: 

chroot /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

and I received a message that that disk did not exist.  Bear in mind that each time I boot up and each app or screen I click on takes 10-20 minutes to open, so my patience is being tested.  
    I would appreciate any help that people on this forum can provide.

Thank you!
  • Reply 39 of 56

Thank you!
    Hello!
    Like all these things, opinions will vary especially with only partial info. However, given that your Mac does boot (eventually), I’d say you’re not suffering from the above Google updater error. So what’s wrong then? I’d suggest downloading and running https://www.etrecheck.com to find out. Now, you will rightly be suspicious of any advice suggesting installing something new to cure a problem. So please google (haha) this tool to double check it’s legitimate.

It will identify the issue and offer to help you fix it. I suspect you will have some malware of adware that needs removing...

Alternatively, pop into an Apple Store for advice and help. Good luck!
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Hi, I am not an IT person, just a retiree with a 2013 MacBook Pro.  It was running Yosemite, and when i booted up after coming home from holidays, it was incredibly slow and had a funny google chrome update icon on the home page.  (after a couple of bootups, the icon disappeared).   I think I have been affected by the recent Chrome update.  I tried the fix provided on the Google Site, which was to boot up with Command R and reinstall the OS.  I received the message "A required download is missing”.   So I went back to Google (yes, this is how I find everything, but may revisit this decision) and I found a Forbes article and this discussion.  The Forbes article had a lot of non-code text in the code (hints about default boot disk name, etc.), so I tried the code here.  My boot disk is named Macintosh HD.  When I got to the Terminal screen to type in the code, there was "bash" and some numbers there (don't know if this is normal or not).  So I went ahead and typed in the first line of code: 

chroot /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

and I received a message that that disk did not exist.  Bear in mind that each time I boot up and each app or screen I click on takes 10-20 minutes to open, so my patience is being tested.  

Thank you!
    Nothing that the Chrome bug impacted will cause 10-20 minutes for something to happen. I suspect that you have a hardware problem. I think this is a "Bring it into the Genius Bar" problem.
    edited November 2019 gatorguy