How to update your Steam install to 64-bit before macOS Catalina

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    None of this is necessary at all.

Download Steam. Drag to Applications. Replace existing. Done.
    nwstehle
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,862administrator
    None of this is necessary at all.

Download Steam. Drag to Applications. Replace existing. Done.
    Like I said earlier in the thread, twice now, not all the time. Thus, the procedure.

It's great that it worked for you the way that it's supposed to. It doesn't always.
    edited September 2019 nwstehle
  • Reply 23 of 33
    GrantMGrantM Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is great. This worked perfectly for me.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    HellmarkHellmark Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    What is weird, is I have a fairly recent install (only got this Mac in March, with Mojave on it), and Steam defaulted to the 32 bit version.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    I use steam for Rocksmith 2014, Will this process work Thanks for any info
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,862administrator
    I use steam for Rocksmith 2014, Will this process work Thanks for any info
    It will work for the Steam front-end, but I have no idea if Rocksmith 2014 is 32-bit. If it is, then Rocksmith still won't work.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    TL;DR: 
    Check: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ and delete the games that are 32bit, reinstall them and that might solve your wows.

Explanation:
    I had some issues getting "Don't Starve Together" working on my Mac OS Catalina.

After uninstalling the game Steam left an empty (with the exception of some mods) 32bit game application file in `~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Don't Starve Together/` and after I'd reinstall it it would place the new install back into the 32 bit application. Only when I uninstalled the game, deleted that file and then reinstalled it, steam finally gave me a 64bit application that worked with my Mac.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Just tried to do this process. It all went well until I tried to download steam. Once putting it in the apps, I get a box that says "steam_osx" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash." Any ideas for what to try?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Just tried to do this process. It all went well until I tried to download steam. Once putting it in the apps, I get a box that says "steam_osx" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash." Any ideas for what to try?
    You're launching the copy that's now in the actual Application folder you just dragged it into, right? Not the one on the .dmg that you just dragged. Try rebooting? macOS will reevaluate it only after a reboot. 
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Thanks for the detailed article!   Ended up using brute force through Finder to get rid of anything connected to the Steam App.   The pathways listed do not apply in most cases now.    Did a fresh install.   Will check later to see if it worked.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    so when i try to download the "new 64bit' version of steam every version comes out damaged and i can't download it....what should i do i am running on the mac pro Catalina
  • Reply 32 of 33
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    so when i try to download the "new 64bit' version of steam every version comes out damaged and i can't download it....what should i do i am running on the mac pro Catalina
    Can you be more specific as to what's happening?
  • Reply 33 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    Try using the command listed under number 4 here:

https://osxdaily.com/2019/02/13/fix-app-damaged-cant-be-opened-trash-error-mac/

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal app and write the following, dragging the Steam app into the window where it says, then hit return:

xattr -cr drag-Steam-app-in-here

Quite a few apps are getting reported as being damaged and run fine after removing the attributes. Seems to be happening since Mojave, maybe to do with some stricter quarantine conditions on apps downloaded outside the App Store.
    edited May 2020 cgWerks