iPad Pro, 'iPhone SE 2,' MacBook with scissor keyboard coming in early 2020, says Ming-Chi...

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is focusing on expected release dates in a new research note, with him making predictions about Apple's next iPad Pro, and when he expects the "iPhone SE 2" to ship.

2019 iPad Pro on top of 2018 iPad Pro 12.9-inch
iPad Pro mockup with three lenses on top of 2018 iPad Pro 12.9-inch

In a note for investors, TF Securities' Ming-Chi Kuo believes that beyond an AR headset later in the year, Apple has a big first quarter of 2020 planned. Kuo has narrowed down the iPad Pro with time of flight sensors to the first quarter, and is expecting the "iPhone SE 2" then as well.

MacBook with scissor keyboard mechanism

Kuo has discussed the 16-inch MacBook Pro switching to a new scissor mechanism in the keyboard, with it launching soon. Kuo has also spoken about it migrating to the rest of the product line. However, this is the first time that he's predicted a refreshed MacBook at all, much less one with a new keyboard.

The refresh isn't expected until the second calendar quarter of 2020.

"iPhone SE 2"

Kuo spoke on the "iPhone SE 2" specs recently. He previously wrote that a new "iPhone SE 2" will incorporate the A13 processor, and 3GB of RAM. Users looking for a small device may be disappointed, as he believes the "form factor design and hardware spec are similar to iPhone 8."

iPad Pro with time of flight sensor

Kuo has spoken about this iPad Pro refresh before, but hasn't specifically nailed down delivery time before Wednesday's report. The models will have 11-inch and 12.9-inch displays, the same as the current generation, but while there isn't any indication of changes to the outside, the analyst believes there will be some internal alterations.

A Time of Flight 3D sensor scans the area in front of the camera and calculates distances between objects and the lens. Not only does this assist in the math to speed focusing, but it is also used to accurately position items in augmented reality.

The new iPad Pro is expected to see the first usage of a "LCP Soft Board," referring to a material known as Liquid Crystal Polymer. As the name suggests, the board is soft and can be used as a flexible way to connect components together, working around the restrictions of inflexible PCBs.

The use of LCP Soft Board is apparently being made in preparation for the use of 5G modems in the iPad Pro. According to Kuo, Apple will introduce 5G-supporting models in 2021.

Apple has yet to migrate dual-lens shooters, much less the three-lens setup that is predicted, to its tablet line despite first integrating the technology in 2016's iPhone 7 Plus. The setup, which incorporates a wide-angle and "telephoto" lens, was later used in 2017's iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X, and last year's iPhone XS and XS Max.

Apple's iPad Pro has not been updated since the line received a massive redesign with a full-face display and Face ID in October 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    So no October event this year.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I think he’s totally off base. iPad Pro models will probably still come out this month.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    "iPhone SE 2"
    Kuo spoke on the "iPhone SE 2" specs recently. He previously wrote that a new "iPhone SE 2" will incorporate the A13 processor, and 3GB of RAM. Users looking for a small device may be disappointed, as he believes the "form factor design and hardware spec are similar to iPhone 8."

But let's still call it an SE2, for no fucking reason. Sure, why not. iPhone 9 makes a lot more sense. (Props to whoever said that in another thread here.)

baconstangcaladanianentropys
  • Reply 4 of 11
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    I wonder how so called SE2 will be cheaper than current iPhone 8($449 or $499) with all those specs?
    It sounds more likely iPhone 11 with button and single rear camera?

If SE2 price higher than current iPhone 8 price then who will but it in USA?
    If SE2 releases same price as current iPhone8 then it will kill remain XR inventory.
    I doubt Apple ever made new iPhone with $399 price tag.
    Even same price as current XR will kill all sales for XR.

• Reply 5 of 11
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    That explains why Catalina is already out, usually its timed with releases of new computers. But this month, we aren't hearing anything for an Oct event. 

• Reply 6 of 11
    Ugh, if they hold back the A13 iPad Pros until Spring I'll probably pass on them. I hate buying a new iPad Pro when the chip that's in it is half way to being outdated in the iPhone. I keep my iPads longer than my iPhones I'd rather have the best processor in that.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    BlackHipsterBlackHipster Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    Ugh, if they hold back the A13 iPad Pros until Spring I'll probably pass on them. I hate buying a new iPad Pro when the chip that's in it is half way to being outdated in the iPhone. I keep my iPads longer than my iPhones I'd rather have the best processor in that.
    It will probably take A14 or A15 to catch up with A12X in terms of raw performance.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    That would be surprising. I was expecting new iPads sooner. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The two iPad pro updates we've seen were both 15 months apart. There's no precedent for a 12-month cycle like the phones. 
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 10 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I hope we also finally get chips Intel that are based on 10 nm.    If they go back to the scissor keyboard they will probably have a lot of upgraders who have continued to use the 2012-2015 model MBP like me.   Now if we only can hear rumors about them adding MagSafe and SD card reader back to the MBPs.   Yes Spec wise the Pro's are great machines but I prefer those features of the older models.    Notice that Microsoft in their Surface Pro 7 announcement finally upgraded to USB Type C but not ThunderBolt 3.      That's one significant area where Apple is way, way ahead of MS with the MBP - the ability to use eGPUs.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It would be an A13X though. Much more powerful than an A13.