CNN to compete with Apple News+ via own news subscription service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
CNN is stepping into the fray of online news distribution, a report claims, with the international news network said to be in negotiations with other producers to create a digital news service, one that aims to take on Apple News and Facebook.

The AT&T-backed CNN is working on a news aggregation service of its own, which would follow a similar path to that of Apple News and Apple News+. In order to compete with the dominant Facebook as well as Apple's own offering, the project known as "NewsCo" will offer consumers another venue to get updates about the world, alongside its existing web and broadcast operations.

Approximately a dozen engineers and other executives are working on the project, CNN digital chief Andrew Morse confirmed to The Information, including staff hired specifically for the project. Technology is being overseen by former Spotify engineer Andrew Greene, who is credited for assisting with the management of Spotify Stations.

CNN is likely to borrow the Apple News+ strategy of combining subscription-based content with free stories supported by advertising. Rather than just providing CNN-produced content, the network is in talks with others about adding their stories to the aggregation platform.

The strategy comes at a time when tech companies are becoming more involved in providing news to consumers, recommending stories to read rather than readers seeking out publications by themselves. Facebook's News tab is tipped to launch by the end of 2019, while News Corp announced its own Knewz.com aggregator's development earlier this year, with both intending to collate content for reader consumption in one place.

Snap, the company behind Snapchat, is also looking into launching a news element in its app, and has been in talks with news companies over the feature. Major retailer Amazon has also stepped in to the market, with the launch of a news aggregation app for its own line of Fire TV and tablets.

While CNN may seemingly have trouble getting other publishers to join its platform, due to the nature of competition, it seems that it may have an easier time convincing its rivals to sign up, due to an apparent disike of technology firms working within the field. The disconnect from readers that an aggregator forces, coupled with a risk the tech company can change its priorities and hurt the publisher are major reasons for doing so.

However, the ease for consumers to acquire news from platforms like Facebook and via a central aggregator like Apple News makes them appealing venues for readers.

To differentiate itself from other platforms, the CNN effort will aim to be as politically neutral as possible, as well as offering more than aggregation. The network is considering producing exclusive content for the service, as well as tapping into its archive of content to provide context for stories, as well as working with local affiliates and news publishers.

"In the same way that entertainment companies don't want to cede ground to the streaming platforms, why should we cede the ground of journalism to the technology platforms" Morse proposed.

In the case of Apple News, it seems that the service is working out for some publishers. In August, European publishers reported increases in revenues from being on the basic Apple News service, ahead of the launch of the paid subscription option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    Mmmm.  Fake News.  Tastes like chicken.  

I do not wish to pay to be force fed lies.  But with viewership plumbing new lows they do need some revenue stream not based on advertising.  
    razorpitbigtdskestralJWSCmwhiteSpamSandwichdunestockmagman1979macseekeranantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 84
    You can already get plenty of left wing propaganda for free from sources like MSNBC, PBS, CNN, NY Times, Wash Post, etc. Why would you want to pay for it?
    ElCapitanrazorpitbigtdskestralJWSCmwhiteSpamSandwichdunestockmagman1979macseeker
  • Reply 3 of 84
    Can I pay for CNN's fake news with fake money? 
    ElCapitanrazorpitbigtdskestralJWSCmwhiteSpamSandwichdunestockmagman1979macseeker
  • Reply 4 of 84
    I wish them luck. Just what we all need, another biased news aggregator. Whether it’s one side or the other it doesn’t matter. What would light people’s hair on fire with excitement is an app that doesn’t slant the news one way or the other. Apple News does a decent job at this but they’re not perfect, no one is, but Apple makes an attempt to make available news from a broad spectrum it seems. And the jury is out on whether Apple News is a profitable business or not, but Apple is overall.

CNN is not a profitable company (I may be wrong in this, unsure), nor are they good at bringing in viewers and ratings. Hardly a mix for for inspired success, and clearly the opposite side of the spectrum in news either won’t be invited to play. or won’t want to participate with CNN. Take your pick. I may be wrong and CNN and the Spotify guy may be master negotiators but I’m not very confident. I don’t want to be cynic and disregard this out of hand, but I find it hard not to be.
    edited October 2019 ElCapitanrazorpitSpamSandwichchemengin1OkiRun
  • Reply 5 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I guess we can see who all the Fox Faux News aficionados are.
    blastdoorGeorgeBMacdewmemistertrickmagman1979pscooter63Soliapple ][lkruppfastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 84
    MacPro said:
    You don't need to consume Faux News to know that CNN has a lot of work to do to convince people that their service is worth paying for.
    razorpitGeneralBrockbigtdsJWSCElCapitann2itivguydunestockmagman1979anantksundarammonstrosity
  • Reply 8 of 84
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    If they could sign up The Guardian I’d seriously consider subscribing.

edit: 

Also -- no listicles and no articles with the word "why" in the title. 
    edited October 2019 mistertrickcornchip
  • Reply 9 of 84
    MacPro said:
    Pithy.

But this is part of the problem. You clearly have your opinion so this service is geared towards you and not the other commenters if what you feel is true, so they most likely won’t be subscribers. Does that mean you’ll pay for the service? I’m assuming here, but from your derogatory comment it seems you like CNN content. That’s the problem CNN will face - WELL over 50% of the population feels CNN is biased. Not the foundation of a good sales model.
    edited October 2019 bigtdsJWSCSpamSandwichdunestockmacseekerchemengin1
  • Reply 10 of 84
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 614member
    No matter which party you associate with keep in mind that all news is fake news on those channels. The actual news content is microscopic compared to the interpretations and analysts opinions. All of the stations purporting to be news are opinion stations with a few facts thrown in.

CNN subscription service is DOA.
    mwhiteSpamSandwichGeneralBrockholmstockdmagman1979macseekercornchipjcs2305OkiRun
  • Reply 11 of 84
    Project Veritas released about exposing cnn. No thanks. They’re fakest news. I’d be happy to send them my fake money. 
    ElCapitanSpamSandwichGeneralBrockdunestockmagman1979monstrosityOkiRun
  • Reply 12 of 84
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Well, they better do something.  Their ratings are in the toilet.  The reason is CNN is a left wing mouthpiece pretending to be a news network (which it used to be).  MSNBC, by comparison, is pretty clear about its quest for a liberal audience.  FNC's primetime lineup is strongly to the right, whereas its news coverage probably leans right.  The point is they are both mostly transparent about who they are and what they're doing.  CNN is just an utter embarrassment.  
    SpamSandwichdunestockGeneralBrockmacseekeranantksundaramatomic101OkiRun
  • Reply 13 of 84
    GeneralBrock said: CNN is not a profitable company (I may be wrong in this, unsure), nor are they good at bringing in viewers and ratings.
    You're definitely wrong on the profit part. They've had record profits with Zucker at the helm. The irony is that he's the guy that gave Trump his TV break with The Apprentice on NBC. CNN is down on viewers but so is Fox News. 
    GeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 14 of 84
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

The whole news landscape has changed in the last decade.  Traditional broadcast news has been supplanted by the likes of Twitter, topic centric websites and the blogosphere.

Generationally, the difference is stark.  The 40 and over crowd still clings to traditional media outlets.  But traditional media is rather limiting when you want to get into depth on any particular subject. 

The under 40 crowd generally gets their news from the new media, which has breadth and depth rarely seen in broadcast media.  The downside is that the new media has garbage information right along side high quality well researched information.  The reader must be more discerning and vigilant.  The key is not to trust any one source, but get your news from a diverse set of new media outlets.  You’re more likely to stay grounded in reality that way.

muthuk_vanalingamOkiRun
  • Reply 15 of 84
    GeneralBrock said: CNN is not a profitable company (I may be wrong in this, unsure), nor are they good at bringing in viewers and ratings.
    You're definitely wrong on the profit part. They've had record profits with Zucker at the helm. The irony is that he's the guy that gave Trump his TV break with The Apprentice on NBC. CNN is down on viewers but so is Fox News. 
    I don’t watch Fox News or CNN, but I do know Fox News is crushing CNN in the ratings.
    razorpitapple ][monstrosityOkiRun
  • Reply 16 of 84
    JWSC said: Generationally, the difference is stark.  The 40 and over crowd still clings to traditional media outlets.  But traditional media is rather limiting when you want to get into depth on any particular subject.
    Disagree with that. Traditional media included TV (less in depth) and newspapers/news magazines (more in depth). Digital has increased the number of options for both types of information while at the same time cutting the amount of $$ that people can make from it. 
  • Reply 17 of 84
    BlackHipsterBlackHipster Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    I enter CNN.com with all the adblockers and all the tracker disablers enabled.

There is no way I would install such a shitty source of news on my device. Not one thing CNN does can i believe. They are still serving Clintons!
    red oakdunestockrazorpitOkiRun
  • Reply 18 of 84
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    LOL 

SpamSandwichOkiRun
  • Reply 19 of 84
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I don’t watch Fox News or CNN, but I do know Fox News is crushing CNN in the ratings.
    ...  And, more relevant, in the amount of propaganda.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    sdw2001 said:
    Well, they better do something.  Their ratings are in the toilet.  The reason is CNN is a left wing mouthpiece pretending to be a news network (which it used to be).  MSNBC, by comparison, is pretty clear about its quest for a liberal audience.  FNC's primetime lineup is strongly to the right, whereas its news coverage probably leans right.  The point is they are both mostly transparent about who they are and what they're doing.  CNN is just an utter embarrassment.  

I disagree that its been a real "news network", back in the 90s it shilled for the WH and the WH was 'republican'.

Its bad then its bad now, this is always been CNN's problem. So yeah now they want to sell content, sure go ahead go for it, why not? who buys it? I dunno there's a sucker born every minute.

ElCapitancornchipOkiRun