New version of macOS Catalina supplemental update now available

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Still having the login to iCloud BS on a continual basis [as in every few minutes]. Most frustrating.

Plus, am I alone in HATING the new finder method to update/sync your phone/iPad? Why oh why couldn't it be a simple "Sync" app - one that launches when you plug in your device? Right now, there is no indication of anything happening, particularly when downloading updates. No progress bar, no visual clues whatsoever. Yet you can still select buttons, or check options. This sucks.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,745member
    If anyone is running software RAIDs created with Apple's DiskUtilities in Catalina they might want to try changing to SoftRAID or SoftRAID Lite  I found my various RAID enclosures all were running far slower and sometimes hesitating.  I recreated them all one by one with SoftRAID and I am seeing almost twice the speed with RAID 0.  The Strange thing is I've had SoftRAID for several years and in past tests, there was no speed difference but that was in the days of Sierra and High Sierra.  I haven't done any test for a few years now.  I did find I had to really go down to the level of actually using SoftRAID to initialize each disk before creating the arrays.  BTW I also had to disable SIP with Terminal to get SoftRAID to install the necessary drivers.  Once done I reenabled SIP.  This all on a Mac Pro over TB2. Looking forward to the new Mac Pro and TB3!
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    I made a bootable backup for my hard drive then did a clean install of Catalina.  I had so many little apps running 32bit code and haven’t done a clean install for 2 years.  I normally try and do a clean install once a year to test my back up and data recovery routine.  So far on a clean install I’ve not had any problems ...yet 🤞🏻
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    According to research done by Howard Oakley, it looks like the reason the Supplemental update was reissued is because the certificate it was signed with will expire on the 24th of October. The new release is signed with a new certificate, which won't expire soon. It seems there is no difference in content. This is why Apple does not push the (not so) new update to those users that already installed the first: they don't need it.
    See https://eclecticlight.co/2019/10/22/whats-this-about-10-15-supplemental-update-2/
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,868administrator
    According to research done by Howard Oakley, it looks like the reason the Supplemental update was reissued is because the certificate it was signed with will expire on the 24th of October. The new release is signed with a new certificate, which won't expire soon. It seems there is no difference in content. This is why Apple does not push the (not so) new update to those users that already installed the first: they don't need it.
    See https://eclecticlight.co/2019/10/22/whats-this-about-10-15-supplemental-update-2/
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/24/if-youve-got-an-old-macos-install-image-it-will-probably-stop-working-today